No announcement yet.

m30b35 Backyard budget ITB's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This picture is dope! I think I did some dealing with you on the NC E30 Facebook Group.

I'd love to go to a late model big six or ITBs. I support your project!
    Paynemw
    1986 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - Sold!
    the ebb and flow of 325is ownership - In RVA
    1988 BMW 535is - RIP but my dream BMW

Comment

Originally posted by paynemw View Post
      This picture is dope! I think I did some dealing with you on the NC E30 Facebook Group.

I'd love to go to a late model big six or ITBs. I support your project!
      thank you! took 45 seconds and i was outta there

but most likely, I am an admin of that page and a member since 2012 :)

Comment

Just some ideas of how close the port is to the throttle body itself there is room to extrude here- although the machining is so clean I don’t even want to try- if I do I’ll probably just try to round the bottom flat edge a bit deeper.
        And yes I’m going to make a plug for the old injector bosses. I will have access to a 3D printer so I’ll probably design a plug that will fill the hole flush to the bore.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	04029B0C-0C34-47C8-8EB2-77E153D611C4.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	7194084

Name:	B4859489-2E02-473D-A013-BFB1EF3BAFD6.jpg
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	7194085

Comment

Another extremely crude measurement- I wanted to get an idea of the runner length, and yes supposed to measure valve stem to end of runner but I don’t have a head to look at for the moment so take this with a grain of salt. Or 5.

Around the outside I get 14 inches, through the center I get about 12, and around the inside I get about 10. So given that let’s call it 12 to the head. Without a velocity stack, not factoring the inch behind the butterfly and the inch or so in the head. Plugging in cam numbers and other little bits into some calculators tuning for the 4 resonance pulse around 5-6000 rpm (I tried it a few times) come up with similar dimensions- so I might not be too far off the ball here.

Name:	263EEDE5-C7FD-43D3-995E-AFF3CA53E2F9.jpg
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	7194089

Name:	4B6EAE1C-A562-4803-B929-9B0509848C30.jpg
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	7194086

Name:	BECCD261-48E3-475B-B3F4-14148ECB11AC.jpg
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	7194087

I’ll be able to actually figure this once it’s running after the AFRS are dialed in and it runs smoothly. The fuel table In 3D should show some destive peaks that should* give me an idea of where and when these pulses are having an affect.
          Here is a 3GSE fuel table for example

Name:	9017B073-9749-4531-AAB8-07E76DB70268.jpg
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	7194088

I’m pretty clueless on the subject- but have been reading some chapters of some books and various threads trying to gather information. Would love to
          Hear input from someone that knows what they are talking about
          Last edited by mzollo; 02-10-2018, 10:42 PM.

Comment

Oh man, I want to do this after I settle my million projects down. M30 itbs, maybe a cam will def put the car near s52 power but with character!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sub'd.....
              Projects Hartge,Alpina & AC Schnitzer Builds.http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=280601
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=227993
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=289362

DSC04926 by Raul Salinas, on FlickrDSC03413 by Raul Salinas, on Flickr

Comment

id have the length adjustable using different bell mouths that bolt on. 11" (length from head mounting face to radius of entry) is absolute shortest you'd probably want on an m30 with ported head and decent cam and the m30 might like 3" more than that for the better midrange. short runners is absolute worst thing you can do but you seem to be on the right track. i thought about trying to use those runner sections on an m20 once to try and get something that was as long as OE but using the RHD throttles
                89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Thanks for the input! So there’s gonna be another 2-3 inch worth of velocity stack that will be on top of the throttles and once I have access to that printer I may be able to print some out to test, also I’ve gathered some info on e21 intake tubes and they appear to be the same diameter but slightly longer with the same bolt pattern- so I’d like to grab a set of those for comparison. Was digging through some old e9 forums and stumbled across it

Name:	42D290B3-F406-4E31-95CD-521DF50D8BC1.jpg
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	7194090

Comment

Also since these do bend over the motor I could get away with some obnoxiously large runners for the sake of science 😂

Comment

I had forgot to add this in the first post- but an idea of how it’s gonna look, I wish I had the stacks at this point

Name:	C2E8881A-5C41-43B0-9A05-AD8401EF3A6C.jpg
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	7194110

Comment

Originally posted by E30335i View Post
                        Oh man, I want to do this after I settle my million projects down. M30 itbs, maybe a cam will def put the car near s52 power but with character!
                        I doubt it but I think with the extra displacement youd get a bit more low end..and about a million more style points. M30's are so damn cool.

this is going to be sweet. Will op be running open stacks or an airbox setup?
                        1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Originally posted by wworm View Post
                          I doubt it but I think with the extra displacement youd get a bit more low end..and about a million more style points. M30's are so damn cool.

Of course it will. S52 is 240/200 and m30 is 208/225. The “bmw figures” show the torque is already there.

Comment

Originally posted by E30335i View Post
                            Of course it will. S52 is 240/200 and m30 is 208/225. The “bmw figures” show the torque is already there.

S52 is 240/236

M30 likes a bit of compression and a proper tune
                            89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by wworm View Post

Yes the motor is gonna need a cam and some head work, and some compression to really make some power, it’s all baby steps. And as far as an airbox I plan to build one using foam core to mold fiberglass/carbon.

I’m making some big life changes here and moving to Dallas Texas in about 6 weeks to start a new job in the Aviation field. So the project is going to get put on hold inevitably but for the time being I’m trying to make progress before I leave. I’m hoping to have the car running on MS2 this week, my adapters are being drawn up and cut this week as well, so there’s still a lot to do but should be pretty straightforward from here out

Comment

cant get the youtube embed to work- but heres a big ol 2nd and 3rd gear burnout During the e30CCA Oktoberfest. drove 1500 miles round trip from NY to NC did two days worth of abuse and made it home, after that im fairly confident in this brick... https://youtu.be/GpToHdqOzeE

Comment

Working...
                                X