Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steering wheel nut won't loosen, am I going to break something?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering wheel nut won't loosen, am I going to break something?

The steering wheel nut is seriously over torqued, and/or has a hefty dose of threadlocker on there. This is a normal stock 4 spoke non airbag wheel.

Trying to loosen the nut using a breaker bar, with the wheel locked, it feels like I am going to break the wheel lock if not the steering column.

Is this likely? Or should I just go for it? I know sometimes working on stuff I have to give more force than "feels" safe to me, but given that it's the steering column, I really dont want to break anything

I tried a search for 'steering wheel' (excluding the for sale forums), and found a fair number of people whose wheels were stuck on -- after they got the nut undone.

If I borrow a power wrench or impact wrench, will that get it off without damaging things?

I already tried spraying PB blaster in there, thinking that might help, but no change.

This is driving me nuts because I really want to fix my odometer and temp gauge

Try holding the breaker bar in your right hand and steering wheel in left hand

Comment

Have a friend help you. Hold the steering wheel while he breaks the nut loose. They are tightened very tight from the factory

Comment

Originally posted by jaywood View Post
        Have a friend help you. Hold the steering wheel while he breaks the nut loose. They are tightened very tight from the factory
        already tried this method... maybe we are both just weak :/

Comment

Originally posted by rex View Post
          The steering wheel nut is seriously over torqued, and/or has a hefty dose of threadlocker on there. This is a normal stock 4 spoke non airbag wheel.

Trying to loosen the nut using a breaker bar, with the wheel locked, it feels like I am going to break the wheel lock if not the steering column.

Is this likely? Or should I just go for it? I know sometimes working on stuff I have to give more force than "feels" safe to me, but given that it's the steering column, I really dont want to break anything

I tried a search for 'steering wheel' (excluding the for sale forums), and found a fair number of people whose wheels were stuck on -- after they got the nut undone.

If I borrow a power wrench or impact wrench, will that get it off without damaging things?

I already tried spraying PB blaster in there, thinking that might help, but no change.

This is driving me nuts because I really want to fix my odometer and temp gauge
          it needs some impact. put the ratchet on there and shock it with a mallet.

when taking off the wheel work it side to side and dont pop yourself in the face.

Comment

already tried this method... maybe we are both just weak :/

Do you even lift, bro?

An impact wrench should work or use a longer lever (pipe over the end of the breaker bar to extend it)
            Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
            The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

if you scream while doing it you'll gain extra power. worth a try.

Comment

Put some chalk on your hands.

Comment

Have some beers first, then you won't give a crap about braking anything....;-0

Comment

Grab an extension, breaker bar and have some one hold it in place get out the car and kick the shit out of the breaker bar should work lol.

Comment

thanks to everyone for the replies, i guess we'll just have to try harder...

either way we did it, the one of us pushing on the bar + pipe over to lengthen was overpowering the one who was holding/bracing the wheel, with no apparent effect on the nut

so i take it based on this thread that if we were to do it with nobody holding the wheel, it would indeed break something?

Comment

either way we did it, the one of us pushing on the bar + pipe over to lengthen was overpowering the one who was holding/bracing the wheel, with no apparent effect on the nut

so i take it based on this thread that if we were to do it with nobody holding the wheel, it would indeed break something?
                        Congrats man, but I am tellinn ya, beers!!

Comment

Lock the wheel then try.

Comment

Make sure you're turning the breaker bar the right way too that would help A LOT...

Comment

Originally posted by 3vilE30 View Post
                              Make sure you're turning the breaker bar the right way too that would help A LOT...
                              toward the drive side door...

Comment

Working...
                              X