13 Button OBC Code Plug Matrix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

13 Button OBC Code Plug Matrix

I found this little picture buried on bimmerforums- it is the part number and differences between the 13 button OBC Code Plugs. Handy for all those doing OBC swaps and need to find out their correct coding plugs.

I'm looking for #21 (Late model M20B25) and I've been striking out!

555Garage - Kingston, PA

'13 BMW e70 X5 35d
    '95 BMW e34 525i
    '92 BMW e30 325i S52 Vert (Quade the Vert)
    '92 Range Rover Classic
    '90 Range Rover Classic
    '89 BMW e30 325i Coupe (The DIRTY30)
    '81 VW MK1 Rabbit Caddy Diesel
    '76 Honda CB550K Cafe/Brat
    '67 Pontiac LeMans
    '24 Model T Depot Hack
    ....And a bunch of Motobecane, Puch, Garelli, Batavus and Honda 49cc-78cc Mopeds...

I bought a complete set up and installed in my 89 325I. Car is being sold after I get the front end back together. I am pulling OBC out before it goes away. I will see what coding plug it has but I am pretty sure it was correct.
    sigpic
    Steve Corbett
    1983 528E Scrapped
    1983 528E Sold
    1984 745I
    1984 325E - Sold
    1989 325I Bronzit-Sold
    1989 325I Zinno
    1988 635CSI

Comment

Swap code plug from original obc

Can I swap my old code plug from the original obc into a new to me obc? I have a 3.8 version I believe is from an e car and I have a 325i

Comment

Still searching ODC Plug TYP 4-6 1385941 ? I've got one to sell.

It's delivery with my kit but, originally for 325i.
        I change the plug for my 323i. Not use now.

PM me.

Comment

Somewhere I have that in a easier to read format. Yes, the OBC and even the cluster coding plug is a little eprom. It too bad really, and it doesn't allow to adjust for everything.
          Originally posted by Matt-B
          hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Has anyone ever done a readout of the coding plug? I read here it's a "fuse-programmed ROM" so it can't be overwritten, but how about programming a new ROM?
            Plug and Play Wiring Harness Adapters for S54, S50, M54 and more.

Comment

I have always thought about dumping the ROM contents from a few different ones and determining what the scaling factors are so that I could make custom ones. Never got around to it, though.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Originally posted by bmwman91 View Post
                I have always thought about dumping the ROM contents from a few different ones and determining what the scaling factors are so that I could make custom ones. Never got around to it, though.
                Unfortunately, it's not scaling factors or values. It's just a flags for what is installed. (I'm 99% sure of that, I look into it years ago - and it wasn't worth messing with) - there is a guy on ebay that sells aftermarket ones. After all it's just an 8 pin DIP eprom on a board - nothing else.

Comment

Hmm, so just flag bits in the plug, and the MCU in the OBC has an internal table from which it uses the flags to select scaling values? I opened one and checked the chip PN once, and IIRC it was a 32 byte parallel ROM device or something.

Comment

Originally posted by bmwman91 View Post
                    Hmm, so just flag bits in the plug, and the MCU in the OBC has an internal table from which it uses the flags to select scaling values? I opened one and checked the chip PN once, and IIRC it was a 32 byte parallel ROM device or something.
                    Afraid so. With the price of PCB's dropping, a better hack would be just to remake the main board in the cluster. There is one after market version out there since at least 2000-ish. It's really not doing all that much processing wise? No? Keeping track of miles? And driving a few things???

Comment

A project that I used to have a lot more enthusiasm for was a "Super OBC". Basically, retain the OEM buttons & display, but put in a more modern microcontroller with a serial-USB interface for programmability and data logging. It already has input for wheel speed and injector pulsewidth, and splicing in a tach signal would be super easy. If nothing else, simply being able to tweak the parameters related to fuel economy would be cool. It could all be done with pretty minimal components these days, rather than the hilarious collection of passives and logic gates, along with a 4 bit microcontroller that the original ones run on!

Comment

"4 bit microcontroller" I didn't know you could make a UC with 4 bits - that would be a interesting thought experiment. 4 bits, you sure couldn't do anything that was more then 0-16????

Comment

Who is knowledgeable on the differences between the coding plugs? I need one for an M42, but they're NLA, for both fuel tank sizes. They're still available for the S14. Would one of those be more accurate than the one for the M20 I have now? They're both DOHC 4 cylinders.
                          Last edited by Andrew325is; 11-05-2019, 10:48 PM.
                          Plug and Play Wiring Harness Adapters for S54, S50, M54 and more.

Comment

Working...
                          X