formyhealth - 1991 318is Build Thread - now with 1000% more 1JZ-GTE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kronus View Post
    also, it sounds like your transmission being 3 miles long is causing all sorts of problems. Now that you have the motor, it might not be unreasonable to revisit your transmission choice and maybe find one that will be less annoying to fit.
    Well see I own the transmission now, which means if I go another route I am going to have to buy a new transmission and try and sell this one.

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
      they make high-clearance subframes for installing rear-sump motors.

seems like this kit includes an oil pan with a slightly different profile - http://spartaperformance.com/2-0l-fo...-rwd-mounting/
      Yup that's the kit I own, which has the annoying rear sump hump.

Comment

Originally posted by wworm View Post
        ^I vaguely recall reading a miata 6 sp (NC?) trans bolted up to an ecoboost. Might be shorter...Miata parts are usually pretty cheap too.
        You'd be correct, the NC Miata transmission fits fine, it's the strength and durability of the transmission which is the issue on that one though.

Comment

me gusta

Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
            me gusta

Thanks! ;D

Me Gusta also

Comment

Originally posted by formyhealth View Post
              You'd be correct, the NC Miata transmission fits fine, it's the strength and durability of the transmission which is the issue on that one though.
              what kinda power figs are you thinkin here?
              1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

what kinda power figs are you thinkin here?

Looks like ~350 ft/lbs of torque and ~280 HP with the Focus ST throttle body, but I'll be using the Mustang TB which is about 10mm larger bore size.

Comment

oh wow thats a freakin boat load of torque. Probably a good call foregoing the miata trans.
                  1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

oh wow thats a freakin boat load of torque. Probably a good call foregoing the miata trans.
                    Right? It's an amazing amount of torque out of 2 liters and 4 cylinders.

Comment

yeah wow. Are there any other trans options that seem to be able to hold up to that...that are also not as long? Because shortening that up might do you a lot of good. Or converting to front sump.
                      1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

yeah wow. Are there any other trans options that seem to be able to hold up to that...that are also not as long? Because shortening that up might do you a lot of good. Or converting to front sump.

The t56 is shorter, and also allows for mid shift which makes mounting more flexible. However to do that the cost is about $3500 for the kit and bell housing adapter.

I maybe able to modify the shift linkage while maintaining the geometry of the arm and selector which could give me about 2" if cut and welded. However, moving the center of gravity back (me moving back and the shifter and steering column towards the center of the car) may be advantageous. I'm not sure what I'll do yet, but will have a better idea when I get the pedals mounted.

Comment

t56's are stupidly expensive. Hopefully this can be mounted in a way that doesnt involve cutting the hood and having to reach to the back seat to shift lol.
                          1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

t56's are stupidly expensive. Hopefully this can be mounted in a way that doesnt involve cutting the hood and having to reach to the back seat to shift lol.

That's my hope too! I really don't want to put a dogleg on the shifter either, but I'm sure I can get some thing figured out.

Comment

i was really excited to see this. I have everything in spreadsheets to do this swap, well sorta.

I tune and upgrade ecoboost powered cars for a living.

Mountune USA sells a dry sump for the ecoboost. Pretty expensive but it will solve your oil pan clearance issues and be able to make the motor really low.

If not, there is a huge balance shaft at the bottom of the motor taking up half the room in the oil pan. You dont need it. Get a delete kit and modify the oil pan so you can make it full front sump (i think you would go back to the FWD oil pickup) or do modify the mustang pan and do the arc asylum subframe.
                              www.cp-e.com

1989 Zinno 325i m52 turbo coupe
                              2015 Ford Fiesta ST, Daily Driver.

Comment

Man, this build is sweet! Definitely going to be keeping an eye on this.
                                -Brad, AlphaTeam Motorwerks, LLC
                                91' 318iS - S54/6MT Swapped
                                08' E90 M3 6MT - Daily
                                04' Chevy Duramax CCLB - Work Truck/Hauler

Originally posted by IronJoe
                                Alpha Team: running through e30s, gringo icebergs, and 19 yr olds.

Originally posted by 2mAn
                                Brads a standup guy even though he likes buttsex

Comment

Working...
                                X