Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to install a killer stereo for $500 (loads of pics)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In case anyone comes across this thread looking for pics, here’s a link I found from GAS: http://www.germanaudiospecialties.co...o-for-500.html

Comment

Originally posted by raj View Post
      in case anyone comes across this thread looking for pics, here’s a link i found from gas: http://www.germanaudiospecialties.co...o-for-500.html
      thank you!
      1990 325is
      m52b28
      3.73lsd
      g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

Originally posted by Matt-B
        hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

it was there a year ago
          1990 325is
          m52b28
          3.73lsd

Comment

Just a quick comment here. It took me a while, however I finally have amazing sound in my e30.
            *I was lucky enough to find a Luke box.
            * I went with a Continental Head Unit as I wanted the lights from the head unit to be as close as possible to the rest of the dash lights. (The dash lights are a reddish orange, whereas the head unit is more of a sherbet orange. Not a match as far as I'm concerned, but still era correct [emoji106]).
            * I used a Planet Audio 1800.5 Amplifier. I used the original oem speaker wiring to the speakers, and wired the head unit wiring to the high level inputs on the amp.

* I was thrown back at how good the sound is! I haven't tuned it yet, and am excited to hear everything after the tune..

No hissing, no rattling, just clean rich sound!

Im guessing that Luke won't read this however Luke, thank you for this thread. Thanks to all the people who contributed to this thread as well, as it was a huge help to me being someone who is not great at this stuff (especially having to figure out what to do with oem wiring/aftermarket wiring, along with oem and aftermarket parts all put together.

I'm really happy, cheers!

Comment

installs in a post lukebox world

Since a Luke has moved on, does anyone have any thoughts on the best alternative to a luke box?

Comment

I was wondering if anyone has the dimensions to the box? Then we can just make our own.
                1990 325is
                m52b28
                3.73lsd

Comment

Originally posted by TeXJ View Post
                  I was wondering if anyone has the dimensions to the box? Then we can just make our own.
                  urrg. If I make a box and post the dimensions, cut plans and what glue to use, would most of you have access to a circular saw? (if not, walmart has one for like $25)

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
                    urrg. If I make a box and post the dimensions, cut plans and what glue to use, would most of you have access to a circular saw? (if not, walmart has one for like $25)
                    making the box isn't hard. It's knowing the dimensions for the speaker that is being used is the hard part.

When It comes to wiring, I'm a complete newb.
                    1990 325is
                    m52b28
                    3.73lsd

Comment

It's knowing the dimensions for the speaker that is being used is the hard part.
                      Surely you don't mean the speaker hole. I think you mean the interior volume. You could easily have a spreadsheet that refers to dimension A, B and C with a bunch of volume calculated. Then you just build your box to those dimensions.

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
                        Surely you don't mean the speaker hole. I think you mean the interior volume. You could easily have a spreadsheet that refers to dimension A, B and C with a bunch of volume calculated. Then you just build your box to those dimensions.
                        of course, so if the volume can just be calculated, why hasn't anybody replicated these boxes? Im no audio aficionado by any means, so I'm here to learn.
                        1990 325is
                        m52b28
                        3.73lsd

Comment

of course, so if the volume can just be calculated, why hasn't anybody replicated these boxes? Im no audio aficionado by any means, so I'm here to learn.
                          Why hasn't anyone sold boxes? Well in part because they are a PITA to ship. But if someone wanted to make ~$1000 in a weekend, they could. I'm surprised no one has stepped up to do it.

But it's so much easier to make your own box, and learn. If you screw up, it's a $20 mistake. Rebuild and make a different one.

Comment

I've had a Luke box since about 2012 and have been very happy with the sound quality. My only issue would be weight. What materials could be used to make it quite a bit lighter? I would consider pulling mine out and making a new one with lighter material and happy to share the dimensions.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aaron325ix View Post
                              I've had a Luke box since about 2012 and have been very happy with the sound quality. My only issue would be weight. What materials could be used to make it quite a bit lighter? I would consider pulling mine out and making a new one with lighter material and happy to share the dimensions.
                              My guess would be the thicker wood helps with volume of air needed for the speakers. If you have too thin of wood they could deflect, increasing the volume and lessening the sound quality. A total guess on my part. but you could build a box out of thinner OBS and then maybe even use a seam sealer of sorts.

The manufacturer should know the optimum volume of air needed for a speaker. Find the dimensions that fit that need and there ya go. Again, just thinking here, no real world experience.
                              1990 325is
                              m52b28
                              3.73lsd

Comment

Hi everybody.

I wonder how good this Lukebox performs if you don't have the hole in your rear seats?

I have a normal 12" BR Subwoofer in my trunk, faced to the ski panel i removed.
                                Without the rear seats it sounds amazing. Clear and hard bass is entering the drivers cabin. But if I put the seats back in it just grumbles. Nowhere near as clear...

Does anyone have experience with the Lukebox and with rear seats in that can describe the sound? Maybe someone who has had a different Sub in the drunk before.

Greetings from Germany

Comment

Working...
                                X