No announcement yet.

Sina's Classic Peugeot Restoration Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As odd as it may sound, and with my location, I do know a few things about classic U.S. restorations. Here are a few pics of my 55 Bel Air that I am restoring right now. I don't care what you think, a new panel is better than a "saved" panel any day.

here is a pic of an area that was "saved" about 30 years ago. a new rear quarter would cost over 1000 just for shipping, so I was kinda forced to "save" this crappy panel by cutting all the crap out of it and welding in a new section of metal-- the weak spot of the resto to me.

here it sits after being pulled, banged, and leaded back to shape with a nice skimming of bondo over everything and a really thick layer of filler.

I would prefer all new perfect metal, but sometimes cost comes into play too.
    Last edited by mikeedler; 06-08-2012, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FLG View Post

The metal on this cuda...saved and it's in a lot worse shape

the real question is WHY would you want to save that rusty bent up panel???? old car guys hyping up all that BS of "original" panels................

Comment

Good to see some solid discussion on this thread.

For those that don't know, I literally grew up in a body shop.

My old man was a body man from 1937 (age 12, apprentice) to 1987, except when he served in WWII.

So when it comes to "resto" stuff like that $150K Charger, yeah, saving that panel *might* be worth it, but on the Puegot, it would be retarded..

We have professional body men on here telling you how to handle it. Skin that bitch. Even the "cheap" way is stupid expensive.

GL, and hope you get this done. I think it is awesome how much you care about that car, so buckle down and get it done.

Luke

Closing SOON!
        "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
          GL, and hope you get this done. I think it is awesome how much you care about that car, so buckle down and get it done.

Luke
          Thanks Luke. It's definately nice to hear some support, amidst the sea of people telling me "I'm wasting my money." Things like this car, which have a lot of meaning to me, are worth - even with the thousands that I am in college loan debt, etc... I requested multiple quotes last night from wreckers across the country for their quarter panels.

To be honest, I find it sorta amazing that ANY wrecker in the US had quarter panels for these cars, and they're really cheap.

If I get a similar quote from my dad's Volvo shop friends' who have these Mexican bros work on call in their shop for a panel replacement ... I might just go that route - and bring in some fresh metal.

However, I know this thread has turned into a very informational discussion... does new metal compromise the strength of the car's body?

It's not like this car will ever be a daily driver again. It is going to be garaged for the next 3 years until I get out of college, and could afford to have my own place - with a garage overhead.

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
          1983 Peugeot 505 STI
          1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
          2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

Originally posted by freeride53 View Post
            Thanks Luke. It's definately nice to hear some support, amidst the sea of people telling me "I'm wasting my money." Things like this car, which have a lot of meaning to me, are worth - even with the thousands that I am in college loan debt, etc... I requested multiple quotes last night from wreckers across the country for their quarter panels.

To be honest, I find it sorta amazing that ANY wrecker in the US had quarter panels for these cars, and they're really cheap.

If I get a similar quote from my dad's Volvo shop friends' who have these Mexican bros work on call in their shop for a panel replacement ... I might just go that route - and bring in some fresh metal.

However, I know this thread has turned into a very informational discussion... does new metal compromise the strength of the car's body?

It's not like this car will ever be a daily driver again. It is going to be garaged for the next 3 years until I get out of college, and could afford to have my own place - with a garage overhead.
            thank you for being sensable.
            replacing the quarter will create a more rigid body than if it were to be repaired. with a impact, metal is weakend, when attempted to repair it gets what is called "work hardened" witch makes the part more brittle and will fail in the future

Comment

Originally posted by oliver.r View Post
              thank you for being sensable.
              replacing the quarter will create a more rigid body than if it were to be repaired. with a impact, metal is weakend, when attempted to repair it gets what is called "work hardened" witch makes the part more brittle and will fail in the future
              ^dude here sounds like a pro, or just way too much experience in dealing with this shit.

You gonna drop an SBC in that Puegot? T56+LS3=goddamn fun frenchie bucket...

Closing SOON!
              "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                ^dude here sounds like a pro, or just way too much experience in dealing with this shit.

You gonna drop an SBC in that Puegot? T56+LS3=goddamn fun frenchie bucket...
                i do it for a living lol, i even have a collison repair and auto painting thread on here!

Comment

Thank you all for all of your help, etc. If anyone knows any shops in NorCal that would be able to help me out affordably, please PM me.

Also, I've began to look for a complete parts Peugeot in California.

1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                  1992 Volvo 240 Wagon

Comment

Originally posted by Vivek View Post
                    Maybe a good body guy could save the panel, but I highly doubt it. Imo it's probably going to have to be cut and welded like others have said.
                    TYBG:bow::bow::bow::bow:

Comment

Originally posted by RUFFLZ View Post
                      TYBG:bow::bow::bow::bow:
                      Lil Vivi Rodricks.

1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                      1992 Volvo 240 Wagon

Comment

Originally posted by mikeedler View Post
                        the real question is WHY would you want to save that rusty bent up panel???? old car guys hyping up all that BS of "original" panels................
                        I completely agree. I just wanted to say that something like that could be saved if it was needed.

Cars look good!

Here's some work done on my charger

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
                        -Build http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=295277

Comment

<-------Well shit...look who was pretty much right.
                          The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
                          Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
                          2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
                          2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Maybe a good body guy could save the panel, but I highly doubt it. Imo it's probably going to have to be cut and welded like others have said.
                            Based on what i've seen people quoted and have been quoted myself that seems like a good deal if he does a good job.

Is he going to cut it out or straighten it?
                            <-------Well shit...look who was pretty much right.

What the fuck are you even talking about?

1987 PRO-3 car /1990 325is (2.7i Concours)

Comment

Originally posted by Jparkr View Post
                              What the fuck are you even talking about?
                              pwn3d.

Good luck saving that. I commend your dedication to that car. While it may not be my first choice on a car to save, I think the history you have with it and the obvious devotion is something really neat-- you just don't see that anymore!
                              '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

1st post: It will have to be welded, not straightened.

2nd post: $1400 is a good deal.

3rd post: response to Ameet making fun of me, even though the pros agreed with what I said.
                                The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
                                Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
                                2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
                                2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Working...
                                X