No announcement yet.

One does not simply walk into 4door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not really being a wrencher as I mentioned earlier, I learned a heck of a lot through this entire process.

1) Patience is of the utmost importance
    2) You can never research too much or ask too many questions
    3) Take photos, I didn’t
    4) Beer… lots of beer…
    5) Enjoy it

It starts for the 1st time.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO3C4KxnA5s

I’ve got some more work to on tidying the bay and getting it to where I’m completely happy every time I open the hood, but for now, it runs, it drives, it looks okay and I’m fairly satisfied.

Transaction Feedback

Comment

At this point, owned the .:R for exactly a year, it’s a car I always wanted along with a long long long list of many many more, I bought this one because it was “perfect” at the time, it ticked all the boxes, and it was my perfect combo, and it wasn’t crazy expensive so it allowed me to focus on some other areas that needed it.

But I figured after a year I had my fill so decided to let it go.

Now that the E30 was back on the road, I got my detailing buddy to help me out with knocking off the crap the car collected while it was sitting, he’s an OptiCoat certified installer, so if figured he’s best placed to apply a ceramic coating for me.

All done

Transaction Feedback

Comment

I decided to take a break from the cars and focus on life a bit more.
        Good things can happen when you do. Bought my first house in the US, after 2 years of being here, it was a massive achievement for us…

Also snuck in another one of those cars on my long long long list ;D and my first ever new car purchase.

I never thought I’d buy a new car, I always thought “heck let someone else take the hit on depreciation”, plus never in my wildest dreams I thought I’d be able to afford it…
        but hey with some focus and a bit a luck, anything can happen I guess.

Note to self, never say never!

Transaction Feedback

Comment

Its now the present day, and I’ve decided to turn my attention to the interior on the E30. Whilst its in okayish condition, I’d like it to look and feel a bit fresher.

The front seats were done by the PO and nothing was ever done with the rears. The fronts were done in some shoddy vinyl material, and here in FL it just did not cut the mustard, and it looked and felt a bit tacky. The rears were as stiff as cardboard and cracked.

I knew it was something I needed to do from the day I got the car, so I did my digging and found a few r3v member who have a history of doing great work, so I reached out to them, but it never really worked out, either they were way too busy, or stopped working on interiors, or simply just never responded.

I then turned to local car upholstery shops, and they are all pretty good, but I don’t know if its just supply and demand, or what, but the prices they quoted me to redo my seats were nothing short of ridiculous.

Then John from NineStitch posted a message that he’s back in the game… the timing could not be better.

John does some amazing work, he typically makes a DIY kit, which you can then proceed to fit yourself. Whilst I trust my ability with many things, and I’m sure I can slap some covers on a seat and it may look okay, I really want the seats to look the part, so I insisted that John do the work.

This was pretty cool to see, still in good condition too, even though the seats were a bit worse for wear.

One problem though.

I’m in FL and he’s in NY.
          the only solution… Off they went!

John sent me a few snaps, the seat made it.

Colours matched

And the hide's are in!

Last edited by TriniBoy; 05-12-2018, 10:18 AM.
          Transaction Feedback

Comment

Now that the seats are I out, I figure it’s best to so some spring-cleaning.
            The carpet came out, and labelled all the wires I’m likely to forget, and started my attempt to restore.

Did some research, and found that a mix of distilled white vinegar and dish soap, makes a mean stain removing mixture.
            I tested it on a small spot under where the seats would be, just in case, and man, this mixture worked like magic.

The carpet wasn't that bad, but definitely needed some attention.

I used my pressure washer with a gentle 40 degree orifice, as I figured that would give a better clean than the hose, and won’t be too rough on the carpet.

So soaked it down, applied the solution a little at a time, and using a hand held scrubbing brush, I took to it.
            Rinsed it off with the pressure washer, and vacuumed up the excess water with my shop vac.

I’m happy with the results.

Last edited by TriniBoy; 05-12-2018, 10:40 AM.
            Transaction Feedback

Comment

Very cool!
              Both the progress on the E30 and in your life
              Try to find that same balance myself

Comment

That's it for now.

Thanks to all the members on here who helped me along the way and continue to do so.
                I really appreciate it.

There are are few things on my list that I'd like to happen before I can call it this project done, if that ever happens.

I'd like to update the stereo and some other bits, since the interior is already out.
                When I last posted on here, Luke from German Audio Specialties did the LukeBox, his website is still up and running, but everything else seems dormant, seems like he's out of the game, does anyone know if he plans on coming back?

I'm hoping to change the wheels at some point to some genuine 3pc wheels with similar specs.
                Probably not going to buy them new, I'd like to aim to get something rebuilt or have a custom job done.
                If anyone has contacts for custom built wheels and are reasonably priced, please shoot me a PM.

Before I go down the road of new wheels, I'd like to do an update on the brakes.
                I'm thinking garagistic stainless steel lines, and bigger better rotor/caliper combo.
                Anyone who has done better than stock brake setup with with deep dish wheels, I'd appreciate any tips or advice.

Let's see if I can update as I go this time around!
                Transaction Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by mr. View Post
                  Very cool!
                  Both the progress on the E30 and in your life
                  Thanks man.

Originally posted by mr. View Post
                  Try to find that same balance myself
                  I totally understand, with the right steps, you'll find it.
                  For me it took a terrible event to get me in gear and focused on what matters to me and those around me.

The key now is not to lose it.
                  Transaction Feedback

Comment

car is coming along nicely

Comment

Great work on the car! I can't believe you never ran the turbo m20 but I can understand the want for an s50. It will be much more reliable in the long run. Also, good call on the seats. I've taken apart an e30 sport seat once and its a lot of little pieces. I got someone to do mine as well. I need to fix my passenger side seat adjusters but have been putting it off cause its a pain in the ass.

Kudos to you on making changes in your life. I've been trying to find that balance myself lately (recently joined a gym).

Looking forward to seeing updates!
                      '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
                      '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

Clean Project man, and so glad you're keeping cardinal red interior!
                        Paynemw
                        1986 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - Sold!
                        the ebb and flow of 325is ownership - In RVA
                        1988 BMW 535is - RIP but my dream BMW

Comment

Really nice clean project. I love the Cardinal interior.

But i want to know more about the full motion Sim Racing rig that you've got there in the garage.
                          2002 530i - Daily
                          2013 Ford Flex Ecoboost - wifes/family hauler
                          1986 325es - fun car (or money pit depending on who you ask)

My build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=422370

Comment

Im loving how this is coming along... Ive been on the fence about converting my 88 to plastics, but I plan to repaint my car back to OEM Cirrusblau in a year and after seeing how yours looks... WOW, definitely going with plastics
                            Simon
                            Current Cars:
                            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

what the fuck is the build thread? it's great! M3 looks so good and at first glance I honestly took the "never say never" as you putting that interior in your e30!

Good work man.

Comment

Originally posted by efficient View Post
                                car is coming along nicely
                                Originally posted by paynemw View Post
                                Clean Project man, and so glad you're keeping cardinal red interior!
                                Thanks guys!

Originally posted by Codym42 View Post
                                Great work on the car! I can't believe you never ran the turbo m20 but I can understand the want for an s50. It will be much more reliable in the long run. Also, good call on the seats. I've taken apart an e30 sport seat once and its a lot of little pieces. I got someone to do mine as well. I need to fix my passenger side seat adjusters but have been putting it off cause its a pain in the ass.

Kudos to you on making changes in your life. I've been trying to find that balance myself lately (recently joined a gym).

Looking forward to seeing updates!
                                Thanks man.
                                Haha, I tend not to give a damn if my heart’s not in it. Cut my losses and move on.
                                Hopefully some updates soon.

Originally posted by shawmcbigdis View Post
                                Really nice clean project. I love the Cardinal interior.

But i want to know more about the full motion Sim Racing rig that you've got there in the garage.
                                That old thing!
                                I wish it were mine. I built it for a friend of mine.
                                He calls me one day saying “how’d you like to build me a racing sim” to which I obviously said “Sure! On one condition, I could use it whenever I want”. That being said, with the turn of every nut and bolt I was thinking, I need to get me one of these!

He’s building a mobile sim racing start up, to teach prospective racers the basics before putting them in the real thing, plus it adds a cool factor to his driving school.

He got it from a company called Simxperience, I think it shipped out of the UK, this particular kit is a stage four kit http://simxperience.com/en-us/produc...ulatorkit.aspx

If you're interested, here's a couple snaps I took along the way - https://www.flickr.com/photos/157548...7666976793657/

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                                Im loving how this is coming along... Ive been on the fence about converting my 88 to plastics, but I plan to repaint my car back to OEM Cirrusblau in a year and after seeing how yours looks... WOW, definitely going with plastics
                                Thanks man. Yep the plastics do make a big difference! Do it! :nice:

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
                                what the fuck is the build thread? it's great! M3 looks so good and at first glance I honestly took the "never say never" as you putting that interior in your e30!

Good work man.
                                Thanks man. Lol, sorry for misleading you!
                                Transaction Feedback

Comment

Working...
                                X