Clear All

Strange Problem - Power 'cutting out' *WTF*

1991 318is

Audio Setup:
    Class D 1000W Memphis amp - powering Fi Q 12" Sub
    Class A/B 250W Orion Amp - powering two PPI-365cs components
    2 gauge amp power wire/ground wire
    Pioneer DEH-80prs deck, internal amp turned off

When I'm driving I notice (fairly frequently, couple times on my hour commute to work) the head unit will "shut off" and I noticed the Anti-lock light light up on my instrument cluster for a second.

When this happens it cuts out the bluetooth connection from my deck/phone and I have to manually reconnect. I also noticed the headlights, and even the interior lights, hazard button, defrost button, cluster lights, dim with the music, even when there isn't much bass.

I upgraded all the engine grounds, chassis grounds, to 2GA wire and copper lugs with good clean connections.

Is this a battery issue (exide from Advance Auto) or alternator? The alternator belt is sufficiently tight, so I was thinking possibly the alternator itself as it happens when driving. Not sure if I have a 70A, or 80A alternator but I saw a 90A alternator available. I'm going to upgrade the alternator power wire when I have a minute, but if I need to replace I'll definitely add a thicker wire when its all apart.
    1991 318is ---230K - DD
    1991 318i ---- 308K - retired

Originally posted by RickSloan
    so if you didnt get it like that did you glue fuzzy oil to the entire thing?

Replace those 30 year old fuses with new ones and the problem will probably go away.
    Owner - Bavarian Restoration
    BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
    www.BavRest.com
    My Feedback Thread
    Our Facebook!
    Follow our Instagram!

Comment

Working...
    X