X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally Got An E30

Hey R3V

Real Quick about me: Been a Mechanic/Fabricator for about 20 years now
    worked at Greyhound, Ford, Volvo, a few repair shops, Now Construction Equip Mechanic
    Army Mechanic, I Mig & Tig etc... I have a turbo on every car in my driveway.

I just picked up a two owner 187,900 mile, auto trans, 4 door E30. Its got blue vinyl interior and no cracks in the dashboard. Got a shoebox in the trunk full of receipts and records, starting with the bill of sale from the dealership.

I have been reading up as much as possible on E30's, this is my second BMW. But I have had German cars, VW. Already got the bentley service manual.

I plan on swapping out the M20 in favor of M52TU w/ZF gear box(recently acquired on a trade) and possibly BOOST later on...

Hopefully I can find parts and KNOWLEDGEABLE help here..

Thanks

PS: I been doing A LOT of reading... but not sure what Diff to use.. I have seen 3.23, 3.25, 3.73, 4.10...ETC..

I'm thinking 2.79 or 2.93. I do a fair amount of highway driving but also the thought of 5th gear 170 is nice also
    Last edited by PG_E30; 05-11-2018, 04:00 AM.

Welcome to the fun! Make a build thread of your progress, we'd all love to tag along.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Welcome and keep us posted on the progress.

Comment

Golly Gomer, where's the pictures? Please include pictures of the other blown rides too. Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by ak- View Post
          Welcome to the fun! Make a build thread of your progress, we'd all love to tag along.
          if this aint the cutest thing Ive read on this forum yet....

in all seriousness welcome to the club. Please start a build thread.
          1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Welcome!
            Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Welcome. Great cars. You will not be disaapointed

Comment

Bought a crashed E39 this past weekend for the M52 swap!! Has a ZF box on it also... Can I use this harness or do I get an E36 harness?

Comment

as I understand it there are some pretty considerable differences between m52 and m52TU. You'll need to modify/adapt the e39 harness to the e30 chassis.
                  1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Originally posted by 325isman View Post
                    Welcome and keep us posted on the progress.
                    Thanks will do.. as soon as finish clearing out my garage of all my old VW parts.
                    And figure out how to post pictures.(been a long time since I've participated in a forum)
                    http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...topics/5540702

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...topics/6864520
                    Last edited by PG_E30; 05-09-2018, 04:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PG_E30 View Post
                      Bought a crashed E39 this past weekend for the M52 swap!! Has a ZF box on it also... Can I use this harness or do I get an E36 harness?
                      Use the E36 harness. What year E39 was it, maybe you got lucky and it wont be a PITA.

Pics man... we need pics... the cars, the donor, the motor, and of course the most important, a naughty Ex GF
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:
                      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                        Use the E36 harness. What year E39 was it, maybe you got lucky and it wont be a PITA.

Pics man... we need pics... the cars, the donor, the motor, and of course the most important, a naughty Ex GF

E39 Production date 2/99

Working on the pics... Have a few on the phone but oily hands, new phone, garage full of parts... looks like a recipe for disaster.

Comment

Working...
                        X