X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Make an 88 or 89 Advice Thread

Hi all

Need some advice on a situation I'm in.

I know rust threads have been beaten to death but this is a slightly different situation so bear with me.

I purchased an '89 325is a while back as a little project car. The good: its black on black, in great shape with basically every feature offered and everything works. It even has had the A/C dealer converted to the new freon. I have records of every oil change, service, and repair since '89 all at the dealer. The bad: It is a northern car and I knew it had some rust but I didn't realize how much. It looked like the battery box areas and some floor pan rust but I keep finding more and more the further I dig.

I bought a black '88 325is that was someone else's project and intended on using the 88 as a donor for the '89 to fix the rust. I have them both basically completely apart. The 88 has been stripped, engine out, interior out, fenders off subframe off, etc. The 89 is similarly stripped except engine, transmission and front subframe are still in.

I am standing here looking at these two cars and trying to decide if I should go with my original plan of cutting up the 88 and grafting it on the 89 or swap everything from the 89 to the 88 and scrap the 89.

I think they look like similar amounts of work. I probably feel more comfortable swapping as I am not a welder. I do have a decent welder, I can glob and grind but again not a welder even though I may be one after this project hah. A paint job is going to be needed either way, however, the 89 even with the rust is going to be easier to paint as it has really good paint everywhere else. Actually, it might only need some touch-up painting done. The 88 will need a full paint job, of course, I'm already halfway prepped.

The biggest concern is which one will be worth more in the end or would there be any difference. Some things I am factoring: Which is a more desirable year? Is the documentation on the 89 worth it even with the rust repairs? I like the 89 better but I can't really explain to myself why. Help! Lol

I could provide some pictures in the next few days if requested. I have titles for both. The 89 is already registered the 88 is not.

Thanks for any input!

Learn to weld better. Weld. Have fun.

Build both cars. Have even more fun.

End of thread.

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

LOL. That is a perfect world scenario. I feel like I could weld the sheet metal bits like floor pans but some of the frame is rotted and I'm not sure I have the confidence to tackle that level of welding. I also don't have enough car to make two.

Thread still open.

Comment

The '88 is the more desirable late model, because it doesn't have all the SRS shit.

The story behind the '89 is cool, because you have service records going back that far, which is a huge plus to a lot of people.

But I wouldn't base your decision on which one will be worth more in the end; I'd base it more so on which project falls within your capabilities and or budget.

If I were you, and assuming the rust isn't terminal, I would go with the '89, take whatever you need from the '88 and part it out.

Having service records like that is awesome and it seems like its a good, original platform to work with... Also, if you're good with tools and have a knack for getting hands on, using a MIG welder is not hard at all. Practice on some scraps and you'll be decent before you know it.
        Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Thanks for the feedback.

That was the original plan and most likely what will happen. It is pretty cool to have all the records. It came from an old doctor who bought it as his graduation present from med school. He spent a ton of money on it over the years. He had some interesting mods added to it like he had the dealer make a set of jumper leads that made the headlights turn off with the key. There are some interesting notes on some of those receipts.

Comment

Build the '88 shell. I don't know why you would prefer the '89 because an '88 can be modified to be basically identical to the '89 pretty easily.

Or do what Reichart said.

Comment

Personally, I'd build the '88.

If the '89 has lots of rust, it will likely be more costly to repair. Plastic bumpers are a bolt on affair on the '88 since its still a late model chassis. Just swap all the good parts over since you have them both taken apart anyway.
              '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
              '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

Turbo 930, is there a reason you vote for the 88 other than the shell is good?

The reason I like the 89 is because of the documentation I have with it. I like the looks of both. The 88 is kinda cool too being kind of a hybrid between old and new.
                Last edited by WoodBeeSlayer; 05-03-2018, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Codym42 View Post
                  Personally, I'd build the '88.

If the '89 has lots of rust, it will likely be more costly to repair. Plastic bumpers are a bolt on affair on the '88 since its still a late model chassis. Just swap all the good parts over since you have them both taken apart anyway.
                  There wouldn't be much cost of repair on the 88 with the exception of a paint job but that's a wash either way. The body is straight and rust free. The paint sucks and all the trim will need replacing, in and out. As long as everything is transferable from the 89 then I wouldn't have cost there.

Comment

Originally posted by WoodBeeSlayer View Post
                    There wouldn't be much cost of repair on the 88 with the exception of a paint job but that's a wash either way. The body is straight and rust free. The paint sucks and all the trim will need replacing, in and out. As long as everything is transferable from the 89 then I wouldn't have cost there.
                    That sounds like the way to go. You'll want to take all of the exterior trim off before you paint the car anyway.
                    '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
                    '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

Turbo 930, is there a reason you vote for the 88 other than the shell is good?
                      I believe the shells are more or less identical, and the '88 doesn't have a bunch of rust to fix. Rust repair takes a huge amount of time.

Also, cutting up a straight, rust free shell to fix a rusty shell is stupid, and you'll also be sent to hell, since ruining a good E30 shell is actually a sin, it's just not very well advertised.
                      Last edited by rturbo 930; 05-03-2018, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Well I certainly wouldn't want to anger the gods.

Couple of questions:

1. Would having a motor and frame with mismatched numbers affect you guys opinion on swapping to the 88?

2. The 88 still has it's harness, computer, sensors, etc. Would the 89 motor and tranny hook up or would I need to change any of that as well? They are both manuals btw.

Comment

Well I certainly wouldn't want to anger the gods.

Couple of questions:

1. Would having a motor and frame with mismatched numbers affect you guys opinion on swapping to the 88?

2. The 88 still has it's harness, computer, sensors, etc. Would the 89 motor and tranny hook up or would I need to change any of that as well? They are both manuals btw.
                          1. No. Lots of E30s with mismatched numbers running around. Really only matters if it's really original.

2. '88 and '89 E30s are both late models, there shouldn't be any issues swapping motors.

Comment

Build the 88.

Do not attempt to cut apart a functional, rust free, straight chassis to fix a dilapidated, rusty chassis.

Yeah, service records are cool and all, but they are not proportional to rust repair, teamed with ruining a perfectly good chassis.
                            My previous build (currently E30-less)
                            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Working...
                            X