Help, I suck at driving in seals.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help, I suck at driving in seals.

I decided to reseal a new transmission + diff this weekend.

What happened was I drove 3 of the seals in at improper angles and need to go buy all new ones for another attempt.

The seals were the transmission output shaft + 2x differential output flange seals.

For all of them, I used some kind of evenly cut tube + gentle tapping with a rubber hammer.

Is doing an even drive of a seal really this hard? Is there any technique I should know about?
    current:
    89 325i

previous:
    87 325i
    86 325 stroker frankenstein

use a socket as the same size as the outer part of the seal.just drive it in slow and steady.

Comment

Originally posted by efficient View Post
      just drive it in slow and steady.
      Solid advice.

Comment

Originally posted by efficient View Post
        use a socket as the same size as the outer part of the seal.just drive it in slow and steady.
        For the seals I listed? Those are like 40-50mm. I don’t think sockets that size are part of normal toolkits.
        Last edited by krazy; 05-13-2018, 06:43 PM.
        current:
        89 325i

previous:
        87 325i
        86 325 stroker frankenstein

Comment

I've got a selection of odd ball huge sockets that i use to drive in seals, Grandpas old set i think, and if that doesn't work my random box of bits usually has something. All those things you never throw out "just in case they come in handy one day"

You don't have much choice but to find something that just fits the seal. You've got no chance hitting it in straight without it. its an interference fit but if you hit it in dead straight it should go in quite easy.

Also check the bently manual on teh gearbox output seal, If i recall correctly you are supposed to add sealant on the the nut. I think the bently specifies Curil k2

Comment

The best way is to get a bearing/race driver kit. They're not expensive.

Looks like this:

I'd get aluminum if you have the choice.
            Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Originally posted by ELVA164 View Post
              The best way is to get a bearing/race driver kit. They're not expensive.

Looks like this:

I'd get aluminum if you have the choice.

I second this advice. I was having a really hard time getting my diff seals in properly until I bought one of these sets. Went it fast and easy. It’s always worth it to have the right tools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Harbor freight sells an aluminum version of the kit shown above. Very cheap and can be used for all types of applications.

I used mine for rear axle seals on my truck.
                1989 325ix
                1992 325ic 770A
                2002 M3

Comment

You could also rent a kit like that from an auto parts store.

Comment

That is the harbor freight aluminum bearing driver kit. I have it. I've used it for years and replaced at least a dozen front wheel bearings (ix) with it. Works great.
                    AWD > RWD

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewBird View Post
                      You could also rent a kit like that from an auto parts store.
                      I go to autozone and rent the kit every time i need to do it
                      Originally posted by blunttech
                      Levent guzzles vanilla hazelnut creamer like its my semen
                      :shock:

Comment

When I drove in the output shaft seal on the transmission, I believe I used the throwout bearing to drive it in.

Comment

Working...
                        X