Stalling when engine is cold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stalling when engine is cold

So I've been having a weird issue lately. I replaced my fuel pump with a DW200 a few weeks ago, the car starts way faster than ever before. It even holds idle steadier than before.

The issue I'm having is that when the coolant isn't past the quarter mark and I floor it, the car shows signs of stalling and when it comes to idle it actually does stall.

For example, I leave work and accelerate hard to merge after that my throttle response feels jerky and once I stop at a light and come to idle the car dies. I'm able to start the car if I keep the throttle open. It does this about 2 more times until the issue goes away (or the car is warm but I'm not 100% about that).

After that the car is fine I can drive to redline without any issues. I'm thinking it might be an issue with my FPR, but I'm not sure. I recently replaced my O2 sensor as well. I'm going to change the fuel and air filter since they are cheap and easy fixes.

I know it isn't good to do this to the car, but I did it once and wanted to repeat it and see if it happened again. Any thoughts?

My Daily Driven 318is

How about checking your TPS? It causes stalls at stops, and occasional jerkiness, but otherwise allows mostly normal operation.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
      How about checking your TPS? It causes stalls at stops, and occasional jerkiness, but otherwise allows mostly normal operation.
      I spoke to John at WOT Tech he mentioned it might be the coolant temp sensor that could be sending bad info to the ECU. I do have a lot a jerkiness at low rpm when I'm trying to putt around parking lots so this may be another issue

My Daily Driven 318is

Comment

Yep, test those items, and anything else you desire. Either test resistance or use something like a Schwaben scanner for most of the outputs.

When you find the resistance specs for those items it would be handy if you'd post them here.

Comment

Haha I was just about to ask for them lol. I'll check the Bentley and m42club after work and post them up

My Daily Driven 318is

Comment

Replaced coolant temp sensor, spark plugs, and air filter. Havent drove the car yet but the old one tested out fine. Datasheet is here if anyone needs it http://www.bosch-motorsport.com/medi...2569739pdf.pdf

Going to test the TPS once I find the specs for it

My Daily Driven 318is

Comment

Also, is the the right PN for our TPS? 13631721456

My Daily Driven 318is

Comment

So I replaced the TPS and coolant temp sensor. It turns out that my issue was just a dirty AFM, the flap door was gummed out so if I went wot it would get stuck and on lower rpm's there was too much air to keep the car idling.

Solution clean the AFM and all is good, also a lot of jerkiness I had before are now gone not sure if it's the nice TPS or clean AFM either way the car is running way better now!

My Daily Driven 318is

Comment

Working...
                X