Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rattle can paint that "almosts" matches e30 paint codes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rattle can paint that "almosts" matches e30 paint codes.

GOAL: Please list "off the shelf" rattle cans that approximate other e30 colors.

DON't list ways that you local shop can mix you up paint.

Preface: So...there is a very close match to Zinno paint code/color. It's Rustoleum Regal Red. It's not 100% match, but it's so damn close, that painting things like a bumper or valance, it's a budget alternative to taking it to a shop. And yes, we know about the color matching paint suppliers. I got a can from colormatch.com, and not only was it sucky paint(yet their clear coat was nice), it didn't match worth poo. This isn't about color matching cans, that might be hit or miss.

Zinno:
    - Rustoleum Regal Red (many threads have repeated this info - just goolge for "regal red +Zinno" and it will pop up.

Sterling silver:
    - Duplicolor Silver wheel paint(says a long time e30 dude - nando(https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...64&postcount=2)
    - Duplicolor "VW Reflex Silver" is a spot on match for chips on Sterling Silver. Can be had at Pep Boys (https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...8&postcount=16)
    Last edited by george graves; 06-14-2018, 02:31 AM.
    Originally posted by Matt-B
    hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

the Duplicolor Silver wheel paint is pretty close to Sterling silver. I've thought about doing my engine bay in it..
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Im pretty sure theres an Alpine White alternative also, but I dont know what it is exactly.

Good thread
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

www.automotivetouchup.com sells paint in rattle cans. Good quality paint and even with the metallic paint on my e36, it matches almost exact. You have to stare good and hard to notice the minimal difference.
        m106 1990 e30
        e36 daily
        e32 cruiser

Comment

Also paintscratch.com is good for ordering full on cans of OEM colors.
          No antenna? I sell plugs!

Here: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...77#post4937877

Comment

Best color match spray option is to go to a local automotive paint supply store and have that match your paint and they'll put it in a spray can. I think i paid about $25 for a can but it was an exact match. I have a local shop that can do this at a discount if you guys need any.
            sigpic

Comment

If you have one, go to a Napa auto store near you that has a paint department. They can mix you the correct color code into a spray can in either single stage or just base coat. I did this with my evo 2 spoiler and it came out fantastic. Some of the sites others have posted too are a good way to go too if napa isnt an option. I have used https://www.automotivetouchup.com/ as well on my old e46 and the color match was very good.

Here is it against my already painted bumper (after wet sanding and polishing)
              Current:
              1989 325i
              1988 M3
              1987 325ic
              Past:
              2001 330ci
              2001 M3

Comment

Another vote for having local shop mix some up and place into a can. Mine is about $14 for basic PPG. That said, Rustoleum Sunrise Red is extremely close to a buffed and waxed Hellrot. I know, e36. I would be interested in Alpine as it’s most likely Alpine 2 which does not have that yellow pigment Alpine III does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                OBD1 S52 E36 Compact
                84 318i M10 Zender

Comment

Also something to keep in mind, WHITE is one of the hardest paints to match. So if you are doing white, bring in a part of the car thats painted so they can find the best match.
                  Current:
                  1989 325i
                  1988 M3
                  1987 325ic
                  Past:
                  2001 330ci
                  2001 M3

Comment

paint scratch.com

dlm ny country

Comment

If you can find a shop or supplier who can load cans, I'd be quite confident they can match the color. That part is pretty tried and proven.

Having said that theres a Sherwin Williams Auto supply warehouse near me that I may stop by to inquire.

Good thread.

Doesnt painting bumpers require a flexible paint or special primer ?
                      Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                      Alice the Time Capsule
                      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                      87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

I think the point of this thread is - "what spray can I get at WalMart *right now* for $5 that is close enough for a temp spray job?" - not what is best, or even perfect...

If you are going through the trouble of getting rattle cans color matched for major restorations, you're doing it wrong IMO.

FWIW, paintscratch.com has good products that are good matches for stock colors - but its not a $5 can of paint, either.
                        Last edited by nando; 06-11-2018, 07:22 PM.
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                          $5 can of pain
                          !

Normally you can get all the pain you want for free. What is the world coming to?

Comment

ROFL - I just noticed that typo. I'll give you all the cans of pain you want for free...
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                              I think the point of this thread is - "what spray can I get...*right now*... that is close enough for a temp spray job?" - not what is best, or even perfect...
                              Nail on the head. I did pay $35 for a matched can of paint online, and it was way off. The notion of a $15 custom can of spray paint, mixed locally....I'll look into that, but I don't buy it. $35 or $50. Maybe. I never have that kind of luck.

This thread is more about finding the closest matches from a off-the-shelf rattle can for minor repairs, RC cars and the like. Think something like a bumper, side mirror, or anything that has a break in the body line
                              Originally posted by Matt-B
                              hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Working...
                              X