Cheap DIY smoke test for vacuum leaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheap DIY smoke test for vacuum leaks

Not sure if there is already a thread about this, but smoke testing a car for vacuum leaks is one of the best troubleshooting steps you can take for idle/drivability issues. The basic idea is to connect a pressurized and smoke filled air source to your intake system, and smoke will pour out of any leaking source (AKA vacuum leaks). The car doesn't need to be running, which makes it convenient. Commercial machines to do this are very expensive.

You will need:
    -air compressor with pressure regulator
    -empty and clean 1 gallon or 1 quart paint container with lid
    -hose barb
    -about 6 feet of vacuum hose
    -air hose quick connect fitting

Make two holes in the paint container lid, and either solder, JB Weld, or otherwise attach the hose barb and the quick connect fitting into the lid. I actually used a hose barb and quick connect that both had male 3/8" threads, and then screwed female 3/8" barbs on the bottom side of the lid, so there was no chance of them coming lose. I even used rubber gaskets to get a good seal. Probably overkill.

Set your compressor to about 2-3 psi and connect it to the lid. Connect the 6' vacuum hose to the hose barb. Throw an old dirty rag in the gallon container and light it on fire. Let it burn ~30 seconds and then throw the lid on. The fire should go out immediately and smoke will begin pouring out of the 6' vacuum hose. It should smoke for at least 30 minutes as long as you don't shut the air source off.

Take your AFM/MAF off of your intake boot, and find something round that is the same size, insert it in the intake hose, and clamp it down. You want a perfect seal there. I used an old small coffee can I had laying around.

Connect the vacuum hose to the intake system. This can be done at any vacuum point really... I'm not sure off the top of my head what's easy to get to on an m20, but I use the charcoal canister hose on my m60. I just remove the canister hose from the throttle body and install my smoke tester hose.

It's important that if you hold the throttle body open while the machine is hooked up. Also, don't crank the pressure up too much, it only takes 2-3 psi.

Anywhere smoke pours out, find the source and fix it. Once fixed, retest, as there may be more leaks that didn't originally puff out smoke since it was all pouring out of the first leak.

This is mine:

Here are a bunch of others that I found pics of, may help with some ideas to use what you have laying around to make one:

85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
    e30 restoration and V8 swap
    24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Paint can smoke tester, love it. I've used the cigar method before, by just blowing cigar smoke into the intake, it works too.

However, I know there is a certain process that is used to sufficiently test for leaks which requires holding the intake system to pressure with smoke in it.

Perhaps someone here can chime in and provide a more in-depth technique for the E30 motors.
    Owner - Bavarian Restoration
    BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
    www.BavRest.com
    My Feedback Thread
    Our Facebook!
    Follow our Instagram!

Comment

I'm liking this
      Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
      Alice the Time Capsule
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
      87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Ive been wanting to make one of these for a while but I also have access to the real deal.

COTM

Comment

The only thing not mentioned is the necessity to plug the exhaust.
          The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
          Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
            The only thing not mentioned is the necessity to plug the exhaust.
            I actually haven't found the need to so far. When I smoke tested my turbo Volvo, I had the pressure set much higher (~15psi) and even then, nothing came out of the exhaust.

I guess if the intake and exhaust valves were both at least partially open on one of the cylinders, then it would dump out the exhaust.

But, I guess it would be good practice either way to plug the exhaust.
            85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
            e30 restoration and V8 swap
            24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

I ended up buying a cheap party mini fog machine and making an adapter for the throttle body. It uses glycerin based "fog juice" and works pretty well too.
              Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -Mark Twain

Comment

I'm building one of these right now, but I am using a glow plug from a diesel engine and burning mineral oil.

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post

Nice Westy. I'm jealous of the access hatch that the 73+ models got. I am stuck sticking my head in from the rear.

Edit: just realized it isn't yours. Nm.

Comment

I was just about to share the glow plug suggestion, but looks like I just missed being the one to post it.

Comment

Vote to sticky!
                      This is awesome

Comment

dumb question but, where do you actually put the smoke through? if someone could do a quick MSpaint of where I am suppose to put the smoke through, i would greatly appreciate it.
                        I have a 1990 bmw 325i

Comment

Any part of the car that usually draws vacuum that you can hook the hose up to. For instance, find your brake booster, follow the hose coming off it until you hit the check valve. Install your smoke test hose after the check valve.

Comment

Working...
                          X