• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The graph says it's 3700..
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rcfanatic View Post
      Anybody else have input on this 300 rpm difference? I don't see what all the hoopla is about
      I have a 91 325is with an semiautomatic ;) and when i put a 3:73 in at 75mph i was at 2700 rpm's,put the 4:10 back in was turning 3100 rpm's. I have noticed a 500 rpm difference. My accel from a dig is alot better of course with the 4:10 but i didnt notice any change in mileage either. I drive 100 miles round trip 6 days a week and average 320 to 350 miles to one tank of gas. Now this may vary because most of you are running 5 speeds. I bought this car with an semiauto in it 9 years ago and mostly drive traffic thats why i left it in and havent changed it yet. I have thought of the ideal of leaving in the semiauto and booosting it.
      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

garage queen 91 bmw 325is / 1972 Chevy El Camino 355 sbc 450hp

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
        is 80mph really 4000rpm? I don't think it is.. 75 is just over 3500rpm. But my tires are a little oversized.
        Depends on the overall diameter of your wheels and tires as well. Running larger wheels will raise your overall gearing.
        sigpic
        -Sean : 91 Calypso 325i : Castro Motorsports SoCal Spec E30 #33

Comment

it's not going to change it by 300rpm though, unless you have HUGE (or small) tires (which is what I think you meant, since wheel size has nothing to do with it).
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Post #5 noobs, the difference is approx 12%.

So if you pull 3000 rpms at 60 with a 3.73, to find out your RPMS at 60 with a 4.10 take 3000 and multiply times 1.12 or ~3360.

(I made those up, just picked them to illustrate how to figure it out. It's not that hard guys.)
            Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
            Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
            One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Oh, post #5 is your post!.. So how did you calculate that 12% figure? oh wait.. ;)
              sigpic

Comment

it's not going to change it by 300rpm though, unless you have HUGE (or small) tires (which is what I think you meant, since wheel size has nothing to do with it).
                It's the overall wheel & tire diameter.
                sigpic
                -Sean : 91 Calypso 325i : Castro Motorsports SoCal Spec E30 #33

Comment

I know..

you'd need tires ~12% too small for it to be that big of a difference. Not to say lots of guys here don't run way undersized tires.

My tires are like 1% oversized. It's enough that the speedo actually reads dead on with my actual speed, instead of being over a few MPH.
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

All the graphs are accurate with the specified tire size. I used a tire size calculator to generate these graphs when I was deciding what diff to use with my M42. I ended up with a 3.64. Best $50 I ever spent on that car.

Last edited by tjts1; 11-10-2010, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by priapism View Post
                      Depends on the overall diameter of your wheels and tires as well. Running larger wheels will raise your overall gearing.
                      205-50-16 and 205-50-15 did the same thing with both different wheels and tires.
                      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

garage queen 91 bmw 325is / 1972 Chevy El Camino 355 sbc 450hp

Comment

is 80mph really 4000rpm? I don't think it is.. 75 is just over 3500rpm. But my tires are a little oversized.
                        my tires may be slightly undersized
                        -Andy

Comment

more than slightly, that's like an 8% difference. :p
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

They are pretty wore out, I have done ALOT of big smoky burnouts:pimp:
                            -Andy

Comment

How do i tell what diff i have now?

Comment

look at the tag on it. it might be dirty. if theres an S on it it'll make you feel good inside. lol.
                                1991 325iC - Mauritsblau sumthin metallic blue. DEAD
                                1992 525i - Silber sumthin sumthin metallic- Rolling again, needs suspension/wheels/brakes/paint.... Fuck you A4S310R; BEAT YOU.
                                1989 325i - Cirrusblau Metallic sumthin sumthin-project - trying to clean up the interior(done), then the body, then a 5spd, then suspension, then..... - [Stolen :| ]
                                1991 325iC - Calypsorot Metallic
                                1994 540i - Granitsilber

Originally posted by scabzzzz
                                I've had blunts cock in my mouth, but I'm not gay.

Comment

Working...
                                X