Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any tips on guibo/center support bearing DIY?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any tips on guibo/center support bearing DIY?

I am going to tackle my guibo and CSB this weekend or next (depends when parts arive), it looks pretty straightforward, I'd imagine taking the exhaust off would be the toughest part, any tips or things I should know before hand? I can't seem to find any DIY's online but i'm hopefully grabbing a bentley manual before I start.

In almost all cases a failure of the rubber mount of the CSB will be the result of binding u-joints in the drive shaft. You can replace the CSb and gain temporary relief, but the new CSB will soon fail. The only long term fix is to replace the drive shaft.

This is a pretty straightforward repair job. Just make sure that the paint marks on the drive shaft are lined up and preload the CSB by pushing it towards the engine.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Well, I think the bearing has just broke or gone dry to be honest, the rubber surrounding it seems to be fine. Its not really a shaking issue with my car but the sound of a bad bearing, i've replaced both rear wheel bearings and it has gone away significantly, but there is still a bit of noise from the center of the car when driving above ~45mph and it makes the sound only under accel/decel, which is what lead me to think its the CSB.

Comment

i didnt drop the exhaust to do it i just let it hang take off all covers,disconnect csb, and guibo and take the front half of the driveshaft off, like jim levee said make sure when putting it back together that the lines match up because the diveshaft is balanced.

Comment

So it doesn't sound too hard then? Thanks for the tips, i'll check my CV joints as well.

Comment

Remember that the guibo bolts in a certain way. See this Pelican article.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech.../E36-Guibo.htm

Comment

yeah and those headers are gonna be a bitch to put on, stock at least.
              anywho, onto the facebook link https://www.facebook.com/pages/Guibos/191266504273242

Originally posted by yert315
              Your mother is plug n play

Comment

Just let it hang. Im a pro at removing the driveshaft. Remove the rubber hangers and the bolt that secures it to the tranny and let it hang. Remove the 4 nuts on the back, then the 3 bolts holding the DS to the trans. After that, remove the 2 CSB bolts and lower it/bend it in the middle and pull the front off the trans with giubo still attached. Then straighten the back half and slide it out from the diff. If you dont have an air hammer to split the shaft halves, use a hammer and a blunt chisel to split it.

Comment

Giubo

I will be replacing mine this week also.

Comment

Originally posted by jw 325ic View Post
                    Just let it hang. Im a pro at removing the driveshaft. Remove the rubber hangers and the bolt that secures it to the tranny and let it hang. Remove the 4 nuts on the back, then the 3 bolts holding the DS to the trans. After that, remove the 2 CSB bolts and lower it/bend it in the middle and pull the front off the trans with giubo still attached. Then straighten the back half and slide it out from the diff. If you dont have an air hammer to split the shaft halves, use a hammer and a blunt chisel to split it.
                    I am familiar with the exhaust support that connects to the trans, by saying "let it hang" are you saying that you dont need to separate the exhaust pipe at one of the flanges in order to get enough clearance?

Comment

holy hell this sucks! I just started on mine and the (6) exhaust downpipe bolts were a bear to get the wrench on them.

I would appreciate any advice on removing them for future reference but the only revelations I have gotten on making it easier is that the downpipe for cyl. 4 5 and 6 can be removed with just a 15mm box-end wrench and a steel digging rod against the ground for leverage , from the top of the car. I got the bolts for cyl 1 2 and 3 off from under the car, I dont have A/C so I had more room to work on those ones from below. :blowup: off to go drop the heat shields.

Comment

4 cylinder ftw...anyways, my parts are still not here, I will just let the exhaust hang from the back of the car, I looked at it today and it doesn't look too hard, when you say "split the half shafts" do you mean separate the driveshaft? I assume it connects together at this CSB?

Comment

My tip would be to make sure when trying to pull off the CSB itself make sure you take out the retaining clip. It can be dirty and hard to see.... Also when trying to pull the drive shaft apart rotate 160 degrees and it just kinda comes apart IIRC. Other than that it is pretty straight forward. Good luck it can take some patience.

Comment

Originally posted by Sagaris View Post
                            holy hell this sucks! I just started on mine and the (6) exhaust downpipe bolts were a bear to get the wrench on them.

I would appreciate any advice on removing them for future reference but the only revelations I have gotten on making it easier is that the downpipe for cyl. 4 5 and 6 can be removed with just a 15mm box-end wrench and a steel digging rod against the ground for leverage , from the top of the car. I got the bolts for cyl 1 2 and 3 off from under the car, I dont have A/C so I had more room to work on those ones from below. :blowup: off to go drop the heat shields.
                            PB lube and heat! Lots of heat!

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
                              In almost all cases a failure of the rubber mount of the CSB will be the result of binding u-joints in the drive shaft. You can replace the CSb and gain temporary relief, but the new CSB will soon fail. The only long term fix is to replace the drive shaft.

This is a pretty straightforward repair job. Just make sure that the paint marks on the drive shaft are lined up and preload the CSB by pushing it towards the engine.
                              Jim, I agree. My CSB gave up on my turbo car a few days ago and I was thinking about trying to save a few bucks by just changing it but since the car is making 300+HP I figured a rebuilt shaft would probably be wise. After 20+ years, those U joints have got to be on their way out. $250 isn't too bad for a bolt in rebuilt shaft and a little peace of mind.
                              "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                              88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                              89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                              91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Working...
                              X