Clear All

fantastic. thank you for following up.
    sigpic
    Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
    92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
    88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
    88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
    87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
    12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Nando..

Can you drop a pic or two of the entire setup (w/ splines) to see set up / coverage..?

I have been waiting for your feedback..

:)

Comment

it's not installed in my car, and probably won't be anytime soon. I just fit it together with the parts I've got on my shelf. it mates to the E30 driveshaft and front diff perfectly, all you have to know is the thicnkess of the flex disks (which is listed AFAIK?) and that will tell you how much spline engagement you'll get.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

So I took a leap of faith and bought the rear guibo and X5 centering pin for my front DS. Not installed yet, but here are some super sweet high quality photos from my dining room table. :| Unintentional, but sorta cool with that last pic -- you can see a screen shot of the stock flex disc with centering pin in the background for comparison.

I have never done any work on my front driveshaft, so this is pretty much speculative/preemptive on my part. The car's PO hardly did any work or maintenance, so I'm playing catch up. That said, I haven't seen how the original centering pin fits into the flex disc, so I was wondering about the clearance around the pin (between the pin and inside of the guibo.) Is that area taken up by a shaft in the diff? Make sense? I guess I was expecting the pin to fit snug in the flex disc...obviously not knowing any better.

I'll try and get some pics of the install and finished work.

Comment

no, it fits with a gap. the pin centers the driveshaft on the diff, the holes on the flex disc center it around the bolts.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

10-4 man. I knew about the bolt holes, was specifically talking about the reveal around the centering pin itself. Good info, as always. Thanks.

Comment

VERY interested in reading up on this when I get home..

Glad to see a good, informative post in this subforum. Tired of going to E30 tech for my iX Forum needs. Thanks for sharing guys!
                clutchCTRL!
                Move with a purpose.
                - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
                - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
                - 2000 323i AT
                2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

Swap complete fellas. I got some good pics and some opinions on the matter. Will get an informative post up in the next day or so when i get some free time.

Comment

I posted a new thread in the iX subforum regarding the flex disc mod. I didn't want to piggyback this thread too much.

Comment

First off I just want to thank JP4 and Nando for keeping this informative thread up to date.

I wanted to link JP4's posting here for those of you that will be searching for postings.

I am curious to what brand was your guibo?
                      I plan on making the purchases in the next couple of weeks and see several brands. of Guibos. Obviously cheaper isn't always better (as Nando discussed several months ago)

RockAuto has a Dorman at $25.. http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...177&cc=1011700

Nando - Did you ever install yours?
                      JP4 - Any issues since install?

Comment

$25 is way too cheap. it's definitely going to be a Chinese copy - I wouldn't expect it to last too long.
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Sure.

I see Beck Arnley makes them - I've always had good luck with that brand..

Once I get everything situated - I will post a follow up on the cover grind..

Comment

I ordered the guibo from Pelican. Part no. 26-11-1-225-624-M57. Brand says O.E.M. It was $41. I haven't had any issues since install, and that includes having the arrows on the guibo not pointing to the flange. I still need to fix that.

Honestly, in my opinion you should inspect the splines on your driveshaft before making this mod. If the splines are good I don't think it's necessary. Just my two cents in retrospect.

Comment

Originally posted by jP4 View Post
                              I ordered the guibo from Pelican. Part no. 26-11-1-225-624-M57. Brand says O.E.M. It was $41. I haven't had any issues since install, and that includes having the arrows on the guibo not pointing to the flange. I still need to fix that.

Honestly, in my opinion you should inspect the splines on your driveshaft before making this mod. If the splines are good I don't think it's necessary. Just my two cents in retrospect.
                              BUT (as I resurrect this thread with digital-necromancy) it does provide a good amounts of stability and reassurance you're not gonna have to deal with that in the end. I swear this IX just loves to eat your splines if you drive it slightly spirited. I also think that any time you can stiffen up the ix drivetrain, you're doing something right. it's inherently a sloppy joe.

Comment

Maybe something else is wrong with your ix if it's going through multiple driveshafts.
                                AWD > RWD

Comment

Working...
                                X