No announcement yet.

How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is awesome. Was just getting ready to do this conversion on my 90 325i.

thank you!
    sigpic

Comment

Nice thread! I'll def be doing this sometime in the spare time!
      Current
      BMW M3 2006 ZCP 6-Speed Manual T.Silver/M-Texture Alcantara
      BMW 325iX 1988 5-Speed Manual Red/Black

Past
      BMW M3 2003 SMGII T.Silver/Black *SOLD*

Comment

There's a difference in pop out windows I discovered. I had an 87. This is the passenger side pop-out window. The rubber seal is in the trim around the window in the second picture. In the first, that's an earlier model drivers side pop out on the right. It doesn't have the same seal as the 87. The item on the left is a plastic window that the PO used in place of an actual DS pop out.

Comment

I just did this to my '91 over Christmas break. As Haystack points out there are differences between model years. I originally got some pop outs off of a 1985 e30. I ordered the strip that goes along the window frame and glued it on with some 3M weatherstrip adhesive. So far its holding up pretty well but I do need to re-glue one spot. They also don't fully cover up the gap between the trim and the window frame, meaning you can see the body color.

I did however score some 1988 pop outs this weekend and they do have the strip already attached. There is actually a groove in the window frame that the seal goes into, unlike the '85 windows.

So, from what I can tell, sometime around 1987 is when they added the seal. It is purely cosmetic. All it does is cover the gap between the frame and the trim attached to the car. The main seal that goes onto the body is what keeps the water out. Also, the 1988 and 1989 windows have the top portion painted black (shadowlined).

Hope this helps someone!
          Last edited by Codym42; 01-09-2015, 09:01 PM.
          '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
          '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

Originally posted by Codym42 View Post
            I just did this to my '91 over Christmas break. As Haystack points out there are differences between model years. I originally got some pop outs off of a 1985 e30. I ordered the strip that goes along the window frame and glued it on with some 3M weatherstrip adhesive. So far its holding up pretty well but I do need to re-glue one spot. They also don't fully cover up the gap between the trim and the window frame, meaning you can see the body color.

I did however score some 1988 pop outs this weekend and they do have the strip already attached. There is actually a groove in the window frame that the seal goes into, unlike the '85 windows.

So, from what I can tell, sometime around 1987 is when they added the seal. It is purely cosmetic. All it does is cover the gap between the frame and the trim attached to the car. The main seal that goes onto the body is what keeps the water out. Also, the 1988 and 1989 windows have the top portion painted black (shadowlined).

Hope this helps someone!
            What is the part number of the strip you mention?
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nickyatm650 View Post
              What is the part number of the strip you mention?
              Part number is 51361924994
              '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
              '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

Hi, i need some help with my conversion

Comment

thanks for the write up and all the info here!

Comment

Working...
                  X