No announcement yet.

1990 325is restomod project aka "Klaus"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Foiled by $4 worth of parts today! It seemed like it would be a good day, I was going to change the water pump, thermostat, put on the new alternator and PS pump and I was stopped in my tracks by a few dollar part.

I forgot to buy the two new O Rings for the two metal hoses that go into the water pump. I am sure the old ones would hold, they seemed good, but didnt want to do all this work and have to redo it later because a couple of washers went.

I test fitted the E36 Motor arms today they fit but it looks like the bolts on the left side of the engine are a different size due to different mounting locations. I need to check into that.

Here are some gratuitous shots of the new and old thermostat and water pump. I will pick up the rings tomorrow. I cant even lift the engine now due to the bracket holding in the thermostat housing.

Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

That sucks. Can't you get them at a parts store? They don't have to be BMW do they?

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Originally posted by parkerbink View Post
        That sucks. Can't you get them at a parts store? They don't have to be BMW do they?
        Probably could, although decided to go to a street festival instead:) Need a break between work travel and the car I have not done anything relaxing for a while.

I will do it after work tomorrow, I can pick some up at the dealer.

Comment

Good idea.

All work & no play.

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Originally posted by Staszek View Post
            Probably could, although decided to go to a street festival instead:) Need a break between work travel and the car I have not done anything relaxing for a while.

I will do it after work tomorrow, I can pick some up at the dealer.
            According to my wife working on the car is relaxing ;)

Comment

Worked on the car a little, got the water pump and the thermostat back on, but not much else so no real update. Next weekend I should have the S54 all buttoned up and over to the engine builder.

Instead, I just relaxed, went to a few festivals in the city, and had some nice top-down driving on Sunday!

Comment

Few little things done today. Finished up the water pump and thermostat. Forgot to take pics.

Also got the new power steering pump and alternator on.

I started to put the AC compressor on, but since I switched to an E36 compressor how the hell do I put the tensioner on, maybe I need to get an E36 one?

Comment

Was under the weather, I wanted to work in the garage but it was hot and I felt like crap.

So instead I did an equally annoying task. Replace the glass on my fog lights.

Cutting away all the silicone is a pain, even when you get it the glass doesn't want to come out. At least the glass was already broken so I just broke it more and pulled out the pieces.

Next you need to clean all the old silicone out, its a long tedious process. Here is what it looks like when its mostly done. I just cleaned the channel out a bit more.

Last but not least I put in the new silicone adhesive, clamped it and will let it sit overnight. While I am waiting I used SEM trim paint to refresh the mounting brackets.

Comment

Did a few things today. Finished up the fog lights. Gluing the rubber gasket on is a pain. I have to clean up a bit of the glue but all in all for $45 worth of new glass and some time it beats buying $350 of new fog lights.

I was planning on painting the engine bay, the thought of all that made me cringe. My wife said let me at it. She sat there in the heat with brillo pads, brushes, decreaser and some water for hours and it came out so nice I dont have to paint! There are a few spots I will touch up but I am so excited not to have to remove everything!

I also touched up the wheel wells, the came out pretty nice!

She also cleaned the inside of the hood. I went to put on the new sound deadening pads ECS sent me two right sides, I need to call them and get the left. Oh well.

Last but not least I got the Koni adjustables and the H&R Sport springs in the strut mounts. I was going to mount the control arms and get the shocks back on, but it was 87 degrees out and about 95+ in the garage, too hot and too tired. Tackle that this week.

Last edited by Staszek; 08-27-2018, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Great work man. I’m doing my front subframe right now too lol.

You should really invest in an Ultrasonic cleaner, I use mine everyday. It removes any grime, rust, sludge, oil, anything, really speeds up my work with less effort.

What PS lines are you going to use with the e46 rack? I’m buying a zhp rack soon and need some help sorting it all out.

Comment

Originally posted by Jokester View Post
                        Great work man. I’m doing my front subframe right now too lol.

You should really invest in an Ultrasonic cleaner, I use mine everyday. It removes any grime, rust, sludge, oil, anything, really speeds up my work with less effort.

What PS lines are you going to use with the e46 rack? I’m buying a zhp rack soon and need some help sorting it all out.
                        Not sure yet, I have to see what will work with the S54 power steering pump.

I thought about getting one, its great for small parts, dont think I could clean an engine bay it though:)

Comment

Those fogs came out pretty nice. I'll keep that in mind.

But the heat and humidity here lately...kept me out of my garage more than once.
                          Tomorrow we'll see. May be able to get some things done in the morning before the sun gets blazing.

Comment

Engine bay turned out great!
                            I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
                            DB vert plastic bumpers
                            OEM Keys
                            MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                            91 ic Calypso 3.1
                            86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
                            TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
                            e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Originally posted by TrentW View Post
                              Those fogs came out pretty nice. I'll keep that in mind.

But the heat and humidity here lately...kept me out of my garage more than once.
                              Tomorrow we'll see. May be able to get some things done in the morning before the sun gets blazing.
                              I have an extra set of glass if you need it. The guy sent me two sets. I had them in the box for two years, I just noticed lol.

Tomorrow is supposed to be worse than today, work early!

Comment

Originally posted by Staszek View Post
                                Not sure yet, I have to see what will work with the S54 power steering pump.

I thought about getting one, its great for small parts, dont think I could clean an engine bay it though:)
                                Once you clean all the small parts, everything starts to look cleaner.

What outer tie rods are you going to use with the rack? E30 or e36?

Comment

Working...
                                X