Project rust-bucket...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick update.

Last weekend I was finally able to get the subframe reinforcements and trailing arms reinforcements installed. I have to say, I would likely have bought a different kit or simply made my own if I knew I was going to have to modify nearly every piece to fit properly.

and a good coat of paint just to get dirty

and for good measure, here is what I measured for the garagistic Delrin bushings. Spoilers, they are too large...

Same goes for the trailing arm bushings, bt only worse. They ruined my press and I had to burn them out as literally nothing I tried would get them out. Thankfully, the new condor bushings that came in today fit PERFECT. when this car is done, I will literally have the entire condor catalogue on the car, and definitely not a bad thing

Hopefully I will have the entire rear end put together this weekend. New axles coming and fluid for the diff. Going to be a completely brand new chassis when done!

Comment

I ordered a Condor Speed Shop HVAC delete panel a few weeks back, and finally got a round to putting together my switch panel. I think it turned out pretty good so far! Now I just need to figure out the best way to paint it. I have a feeling that installing it back into the dash is going to be a bit of a pain in the ass however.

Comment

No more spare tire well or sound deadening...

I am completely committed to a center exit exhaust and diffuser now!

Small updates from the weekend include finally getting the subframe all put together, just need a second set of hands for install apparently. Stainless brake lines are nearly on, and should have the entire rear end back in next weekend!

Comment

Originally posted by haaken675 View Post
          I am completely committed to a center exit exhaust and diffuser now!
          try to copy as much as you can from this man...

Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
            try to copy as much as you can from this man...

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=341125
            I love that build. I’m not nearly that skilled unfortunately. Getting much better at fabrication at least. Learning to weld on this project and you never know, mabye some day it will end up that crazy. It certainly helps having friends to learn from.
            Last edited by haaken675; 10-30-2018, 07:21 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Finally got the rear subframe reinstalled. Had to enlist the wife to get everything aligned as I just couldn't do it myself.

Installed (mostly) the st rear sway bar and adjustable end links. That was a bigger pain in the ass then I thought it would be; The bushings and brackets were a huge PITA to install as I couldn't get the bolts to line up just right. And the kit was missing hardware, so couldn't completely connect the sway bar to the trailing arms unfortunately. Hopefully ST will send me some more hardware , otherwise it's off to ace hardware...

Comment

The thing about aftermarket products is nothing ever is a simple install.
                Especially these bushings regardless of Brand.
                Great build btw

Comment

Originally posted by slum dog View Post
                  The thing about aftermarket products is nothing ever is a simple install.
                  Especially these bushings regardless of Brand.
                  Great build btw
                  That's for sure! I always want to assume that because I have spent an arm and a leg on something that its just going to work...Not usually the case apparently...

Comment

Color matched my HVAC delete/switch panel to my roll bar

Definitely not everyone's cup of tea, but I think it looks good so far, and with the color matched wheels I think it's going to look great. I plan on flocking the dash as well, hopefully adding to the look.

Comment

So, finally a few more updates. I have been working on too many separate portions of the car all at the same times, so here are a few bits and pieces from along the way.

Pulled the dash since it was cracked to hell. The plan was to repair is and flock the dash.

Pulled the air distribution box as I am deleting the HVAC, and I am really glad I did.

Found a nice rusty patch where it was leaking. Definitely wouldn't have known there was an issue there if I hadn't pulled that out. For reference, the below pic was after I had knocked out the loose rust. Being under the heat shield below, you wouldn't have caught it without pulling the carpet.

At this point, I just decided to pull the entire carpet and really gut the interior at this point. The carpet really wasn't worth saving as it was saturated with coolant and was just plain nasty.

Cut out the rusty section and welded in a good patch panel with eh help of one of my buddies. I am learning to weld on this car, and sheet metal is not my forte so far...

And POR-15 over it for good measure!

As I mentioned previously, I have been working on too many pieces all at the same time...Here is a preview of the digital dash I am putting together using a Raspberry Pi running TunerStudio for my gauges. Gutted out my original dash and am slowly putting together a piece that should look pretty decent in place. Below is a mock up of where I am at so far. I don't have any pictures of where it is at today, but I have overlaid a nice piece of ABS sheet and it is starting to come together quickly. As a side note, cutting ABS plastic is a pain in the ass as it tends to re-melt together...

And finally got my tires mounted to my wheels. I was planning on getting them powdercoated first, but a) it is really hard to get a matching powder, and b) I really just want to get the damn car running first and worry about some of the small stuff later.

Went with 235/45-17 Federal 595 RS-RR tires and they are WIDE. Cannot wait to get my fender flares installed now. Super motivated to get the front coilovers installed hopefully this weekend. After that, hopefully get my plastic bumper swap done so I can properly align the fender flares. Getting so close now!

Comment

And a weekend update. Finally decided to put the roll bar and dash back in the car along with my condor speed shop doo panels (mostly). Cannot wait now to get everything completed. My interior is almost done now. Just need to finish up the speaker install in the rear parcel shelf, put together some sort of rear seat delete, and get the bed liner down in the foot well.

Comment

Finally got the dash mostly done. Just need to put a few finishing touches on the digital dash and it should be good to go!

Comment

A few updates from the last few weeks. My buddy helped me weld up my fortune auto coilovers as I didn't trust my welding skills.

Please ignore the disaster that is my garage, we built a shed this weekend so that I can move all the stuff out of the garage and have more working space...Still in the organization phase...

Managed a complete front end overhaul in the process of putting the coilovers in. New control arms with new ball joints (that was a huge pain in the ass), Condor Speed Shop front control arm bushings (the treehouse style), ST front swaybar, and of course the coilovers.

KA Motors fender flares are next on the list exterior wise along with the plastic bumper swap. Just need the time to fit everything.

It's going to be WIDE!

Comment

Almost forgot, here's a demo of the switch panel/gauges as I am in the wiring process

Comment

Progress is really starting to pick up lately. I think i'm on the home stretch now.

Starting working on the fuel surge tank. mocked up where it should be sitting and put the bulkhead fittings in. Kinda wishing I went with AN fittings now, but they are just so damn expensive...

Turns out my previous intercooler mounts were not going to work with the bumper, so I decided to weld up a pretty simple bracket for both the intercooler and the oil cooler. I think it came out pretty good for how simple it is (I am fairly new to welding).

One of the last pieces that needs to be fabricated is the downpipe, and I decided since I had the welder out is was time to start working on that as well. I think i'm half way there at this point now. Just need to make some tweaks here and there and the downpipe is coming along. I need to see if I can find some images of 3" exhaust going all the way out since I honestly can't remember how the stock exhaust was run at this point.

Anyone have any suggestions for keeping the wiring from melting aside from exhaust heat wrap? I am thinking about fabricating some sort of heat shield, but a metal heat shield I imagine would get pretty hot as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X