Flat towing an ix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flat towing an ix

Packing and unpacking the ix for rallycross can get tedious. Throwing everything in the Explorer would be much easier.

Any reason why flat towing would be bad? It should be just like coasting down a hill in neutral, right?
    AWD > RWD

I've done it before and saw no ill effects from it. 1-2 mile tow.
    www.instagram.com/snwmble
    #snwmble

Current:
    '05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
    '90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)
    '15 Mini Countryman - Blazing Red/Carbon Black

Past:
    '01 Audi Allroad - Light Silver/Platinum Saber Black
    '88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
    '01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
    '90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
    '89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*

Comment

This would be more like 100-200 miles, haha.
      AWD > RWD

Comment

Car dolly, remove front driveshaft. And I'm a retard.
        Last edited by 4x4_e30; 07-09-2018, 07:41 PM.

Comment

As long as all 4 wheels are on the ground it should be fine
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

When you flat tow a car, leave the steering unlocked.

The iX's limited caster may not self center the steering well coming out of turns.

ETA: turning the output shaft in the transmission with no gears turning doesn't lubricate anything.
            Let the engine idle in neutral while you're towing it :-P

Comment

why would the engine be idling? Neutral is a given, but lol the car will be turned off.
              AWD > RWD

Comment

I towed mine flat for about 10 miles through the city when I moved. It's totally possible as long as all four are ok the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
                  why would the engine be idling? Neutral is a given, but lol the car will be turned off.
                  Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
                  ETA: turning the output shaft in the transmission with no gears turning doesn't lubricate anything.

Comment

If no gears are tuning, what needs lubricated? How is it any different from coasting in neutral?
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                      If no gears are tuning, what needs lubricated? How is it any different from coasting in neutral?
                      The transmission is typically lubricated by turning the *input* shaft. Towing with the engine off means that you are spinning parts of the trans dry. IIRC, BMW says max 50 miles.

Coasting down a hill in neutral for 200 miles would be bad, too.
                      2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
                      2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
                      1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                      1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                      - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                      1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
                      1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
                      Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Huh, that's really interesting. Because of that comment I did some googling, some people suggest raising the idle to 1500rpm as well. Wouldn't be that hard with a zip tie.
                        AWD > RWD

Comment

im pretty sure the only issue is with the auto cars... and bmw says even for those just add a quart of atf to the transmission

Comment

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
                            The transmission is typically lubricated by turning the *input* shaft. Towing with the engine off means that you are spinning parts of the trans dry. IIRC, BMW says max 50 miles.

Coasting down a hill in neutral for 200 miles would be bad, too.
                            Again.. If nothing is moving, why does it need lubricated? It's not in gear. It makes no difference if the engine is on or off.
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                              Again.. If nothing is moving, why does it need lubricated? It's not in gear. It makes no difference if the engine is on or off.
                              The output shaft is turning in a flat tow situation.

That means that all the needle bearings where the 1st, 2nd, 3rd & 5th gears ride on the output shaft are turning, but there aren't any gears turning to get the oil moving, so there's basically no lubrication for those needles. Oh yeah, and the pilot bearing/bushing where the output shaft centers in the back of the input shaft.

Also, coasting down a hill with the engine running turns all the gears and gets oil moving.

Tie the clutch pedal down and put the trans in 5th could work.

Comment

Working...
                              X