Just installed Garagistic's new 95A poly bushing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just installed Garagistic's new 95A poly bushing

It's a nicely made piece and as I'm posting this I realized I should have snapped some pics. I will do that shortly. It's a neat design, one end of the metal insert is square and the poly bushing has a square cutout at one end so it can key in there. Installation was straight forward, especially since my old transfercase bushing just fell out. Air chisel made quick work of the metal ring that stayed. I will say that the metal insert is a bit too long, the square section doesn't sit flush. I am going to remove it and shave the front down so it can cinch down properly.

I'm sure a fresh bushing would have also been a great improvement, but the 95a poly bushing was a massive improvement. I swear it even feels like it handles better, haha. This is definitely not a DD level mod though, the NVH is through the roof. It's nuts. It goes right up the trans tunnel into the cabin. It almost sounds like a transmission with straight cut gears, I'm not joking. This is my rallycross car so I don't care, but fair warning to everyone.
    AWD > RWD

95a is pretty damn hard.

Comment

Yep. It's going to see a lot of abuse.
      AWD > RWD

Comment

I installed an 80A one awhile ago. Haven't driven it yet but I am more than satisfied with the fit and finish of it. Interested to see the noise level as I am running 80A bushings in the entire car.
        89' 325ix Diamantschwarz/Black rattle can...

Insta: r_moose_w

Originally posted by flyboyx
        I imagine her smelling like spoiled milk and having a half inch crust of doodoo circumnavigating her butthole.

Comment

Thank you for the feedback (email us about that race issues because we would like to have a look).

Looks like we need to look into making more IX specific parts for you guys! Anything specifically you guys would like to see?

The link to the transfer case bushing is here BTW:

Garagistic is your one-stop source to performance BMW parts. From Grip, street, show or drift, we got the parts your BMW needs. We carry BMW parts for your E30, E36, E46, E82, E92 and much more!

Comment

The 89ix I bought from Berlow has Condor poly transfer case bushing, and the NVH from it and the poly engine mounts is starting to get to me, as I alternate it and my 94 Miata as daily drivers. Miata feels soft in comparison.

Will most likely initially swap out the transfer case bushing for oem rubber, and if still too harsh, swap out the engine mounts for oem next.
            89 325ix coupe Diamondschwartz
            1994 Mazda Miata

Comment

Is there maybe an intermediate bushing stiffness that wouldn't be as harsh? The stock webbed bushing is pretty sad, but even though my E30 isn't a DD, I don't want to back to the time I tried a solid bushing in my diff cover.. lol.

There are lots of ix parts that are common but getting hard to find. How about the shift console bushing/bracket? it's NLA. Something we could press into the stock bracket would be nice, or maybe a RWD bushing already works?
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Isn't 80a basically one or two steps above OEM rubber?
                AWD > RWD

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                  Is there maybe an intermediate bushing stiffness that wouldn't be as harsh? The stock webbed bushing is pretty sad, but even though my E30 isn't a DD, I don't want to back to the time I tried a solid bushing in my diff cover.. lol.

There are lots of ix parts that are common but getting hard to find. How about the shift console bushing/bracket? it's NLA. Something we could press into the stock bracket would be nice, or maybe a RWD bushing already works?
                  I replaced the mine with the Garagistic poly rear carrier bushing and it worked just fine. shifter is super solid but not overly harsh. I just wish I could fix the in-gear side to side slop more.
                  325IX Build Thread
                  RX7 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                    The stock webbed bushing is pretty sad,
                    What makes you say that?

We've replaced them in both my iX and my dad's with good results.

Comment

I apologize for high jacking this thread. My transfer case bushing looks worn. What kind of vibrations would tell if it needs replacement? Also how difficult is it to replace(1-10)?

Comment

It's a piece of cake to replace with a poly bushing. Replacing it with OEM rubber would be more difficult since it's a press fit.

Removal requires
                        -removing the exhaust to get at the bolt.
                        -if the center section falls out like mine, use a rip saw and air chisel to pop the metal ring out

Installation of the poly bushing requires
                        -lightly sand the mounting surface to clean it up
                        -lube up the surface and tap the poly bushing in place, making sure the key is square to the car
                        -make sure the key, which has an offset hole, is shortest towards the bottom
                        -reinstall bolt
                        -reinstall exhaust
                        AWD > RWD

Comment

Just wanted to finally give an update to this thread. I must have had the bushing and the metal slightly off before. After 2 rallycross events I finally had the time to take a general inspection of that car. I was surprised to see that everything is flush now! You can see the bushing is slightly recessed now and I think before it was slightly proud. I double checked the bolt tightness, but it's snug so only the bushing itself moved back into place. Self aligning bushing is a plus.

AWD > RWD

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
                            Just wanted to finally give an update to this thread. I must have had the bushing and the metal slightly off before. After 2 rallycross events I finally had the time to take a general inspection of that car. I was surprised to see that everything is flush now! You can see the bushing is slightly recessed now and I think before it was slightly proud. I double checked the bolt tightness, but it's snug so only the bushing itself moved back into place. Self aligning bushing is a plus.

Looks great! Glad you like them!

Comment

Even better than looks great, works great! I think I will get the 80a one for my street ix next spring.
                              AWD > RWD

Comment

Working...
                              X