No announcement yet.

4 door vs 2 door weight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, the 4dr chassis is not stronger (weaker across the total span A to C pillar This has been demonstrated before).

No, they are not a hell of a lot heavier.

Sex in an e30 2 or 4dr is ill advised (especially while driving. Get out and do it on the hood).

Comment

Well its about damn time Daniel!

I've seen this thread for a while now and I was wondering when you were going to chime in on something WEIGHT related.

Haha

E30Fiend
      Need a performance chip for you BMW? Shoot me a PM and I'll get you taken care of!!
      Taylor- Follow me on Instagram @e30_fiend

Comment

word, so we are coming to an agreement that based on what has been researched or what not;

4 door is weaker than 2 door due to the A to C pillar's structural integrity, is this a fair statement...? does anyone know of a URL that backs up this statement?

NOTE:

- I would like to hear from RWDRIFT regarding his experience drifting a 4 door...
        - I would also like to hear from 4 door e30 auto-x racers as well as specE30 and road racers about their experience with racing 4 door e30s

I appreciate y'all's comments...:D

Comment

If your looking for someone who can tell you which car is actually stiffer, and you don't want a BS answer, your going to be waiting a while...

You'd have to have a very good understanding of engineering and some expensive equipment to find your answer. And I'm sure each chassis has it's weak and strong points, I doubt there is a "better" option.
          85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
          e30 restoration and V8 swap
          24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Well...

No on the URL...

However, when the first U.S. bound e30s rolled off the assembly line it was my job to train the techs that would be servicing them and to bridge between engineering, production and service.

From that experience I can tell you that the 4 door e30 (especially the early production) chassis sagged from the front to rear sub frames more than the 2 door. Granted not by much... But more.

The 2 door also fared better in crash tests. I don't have the data on the 4dr or the early chassis ( pre 1988 ) but here is the DOT test results of the '91 318is: http://bmwzenperformance.com/photo/d...crash-test.pdf

If I can find the older docs I'll scan and post them too. The early 4dr had a problem with the doors jamming shut...because of weakness from the A to C pillar.
            Last edited by DCColegrove; 04-01-2008, 09:19 PM. Reason: the stupid smiley in the (1988)

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
              If your looking for someone who can tell you which car is actually stiffer, and you don't want a BS answer, your going to be waiting a while...
              You'd have to have a very good understanding of engineering and some expensive equipment to find your answer. And I'm sure each chassis has it's weak and strong points, I doubt there is a "better" option.
              thank you, sir. you could be right, there is no "better" option... but taste and or making a statement

Originally posted by DCColegrove View Post
              Well...

No on the URL...

However, when the first U.S. bound e30s rolled off the assembly line it was my job to train the techs that would be servicing them and to bridge between engineering, production and service.

From that experience I can tell you that the 4 door e30 (especially the early production) chassis sagged from the front to rear sub frames more than the 2 door. Granted not by much... But more.

The 2 door also fared better in crash tests. I don't have the data on the 4dr or the early chassis ( pre 1988 ) but here is the DOT test results of the '91 318is: http://bmwzenperformance.com/photo/d...crash-test.pdf

If I can find the older docs I'll scan and post them too. The early 4dr had a problem with the doors jamming shut...because of weakness from the A to C pillar.

cool, sounds good! i just thought that 4 door would be more rigid than 2 door cuz i was told and reminded by one of the R3V members that BMW makes 4 door chassis first and then 2 doors after that, so they must have perfected the 4 door than 2

Comment

Originally posted by NitroRustlerDriver View Post
                Classy. And I thought you drove a BMW? :roll:

Andrew
                :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

i hope you have changed your views since.
                91 m3

Comment

Working...
                X