Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

suspension will have to be an exception b/c theres just no way, even cutting/melting springs (which i would NEVER EVER do) is horrible, so i just decided i will have to make an exception on that. oh well. well all my other mods have officially been bought... not a single one exceeded $50, so everything turned out pretty good. I just got a 350mm for $8 plus shipping :) so im not to worried, i'll sell the Z4 wheel along with alot of other stuff off the car to compensate for the cost of suspension.

Comment

What kind of steering wheel did you get for $8?

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

generic new 350mm steering wheel, check ebay, tons of wheels for almost next to nothing (320's for $4 but shipping is a substantial amount more). in reality they range from $25-35 shipped, still under my $50 limit so its good.

Comment

Update #2

hey guys, lotta stuff happened today. First off i finally got to stripping the car down, i took out EVERYTHING from the trunk, including toolkit and tar mats, I forgot how much those tarmats weighed. they are HEAVY, also i found that there ar many more tar mats throughout the insides of the car (i just though tit was in the trunk but thats not hte case). also took out rear back seat and bunch of other stuff but still got long way to go.

Short shifter and new driveshaft quibo and transmission rear seals are all being replaced, i want the car to drive great before i really give it hell. other then that the suspension needs replacing so i went ahead and ordered Tokico set (yes i know its crap, but crap suspension is sitll better than dead suspension. I literally got seasick in my car, didn't konw that was possible).

Parts news: The aluminum pedals, Exhaust and racing seats all came in today. I am very happy with the exhaust quality and hte racing seats aren't bad (slightly tighter in the hips than Evo2's but not bad for $250 shipped). the pedals are not as good as my other alu ebay pedals but they will do the job. i jsut went for the cheapest crap possble. majority of my mods are now in. anyways I have included pics of the new parts.
          Attached Files

Comment

honestly, theres no point in putting any more $ ino a E30, this is just a fun little car to have fun in. theres no point in putting $1000's in mods on a car that is barely worth more than a few grand, I do not see the point in spending more than the cars worth in mods, i'd rather just buy a super nice car and hten have a cheap beater just to have fun in.
            Last edited by Budget Beater; 10-07-2005, 08:35 PM.

Comment

hey guys,

well finally the last batch of the parts came in. The catalytic converter, the white face gauges and the Tokico suspension kit have all arrived. once the suspension is installed the project should start any day now. The mods will move fast so i'll definitely keep yall updated. Step 1 is baseline dyno which should be done within the next few days. can't wait to get started, anyways i'll keep yall updated.

Comment

FYI guys,

Car should be up and running next week with new suspension and short shifter and driveshaft quibo and a few extra stuff here and there but basically still stock power wise (can't wait to see how low this thing will dyno ;) ). i just need to run the piss out of the car for a few days to drive and get all that crud out of the system. All the mods are in and awaiting install so once the project starts it will move real quick. I should be done hopelly in 2 weeks for all the basic power upgrades and aesthetics. once all that is done then I will tackle the big Intake manifold project... thats where the real fun will begin.

Comment

Hes done all the maintenence on it. I have to hear about it every night on AIM "Oh i cant drive my car blah blah blah" .......jk.

Its his car, he knows what hes doing. And hell, I still think this car will turn out a lot better/faster than some of the other cars here. Let him do what he wants.

Kyle
                  Last edited by Bimmerfanatik; 10-19-2005, 07:01 PM.
                  1988 M3, 97 840, 99 XJ
                  DILLIGAF

Comment

Full fluids change: new transmission fluid, new transmission seals, new differential fluid, new differential seals, new fuel fitler, fuel pump, engine oil, oil filter, coolant, flushed out entire fuel system, new shocks on the way, timing belt was already done about 5k ago and the car had a new radiator put in. car came with new tires, only thing i have not done is AC recharge b/c im pulling it out....
                    Last edited by Bimmerfanatik; 10-19-2005, 07:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Budget Beater
                      honestly, theres no point in putting any more $ ino a E30, this is just a fun little car to have fun in. theres no point in putting $1000's in mods on a car that is barely worth more than a few grand, I do not see the point in spending more than the cars worth in mods, i'd rather just buy a super nice car and hten have a cheap beater just to have fun in.
                      Hmm, this is an e30 forum. Most of us have put a lot of work into our cars and take pride in them. I don't think of my e30 as a beater and I would rather have it then most new cars.

Comment

I think what you're doing is great, and I don't know why so many people are so negative. So what if it's been done before? It has to be done many times in order to find a way to make it cheaper, better, faster, etc. Even if it's been "proven" otherwise, I'm sure he's having a great time with this project, and isn't that what really matters? Constructive critcism is great, but bashing and flaming does absolutely no good.

Originally posted by Budget Beater
                        I do disagree with this statement, to an extent. In your particular situation, I agree, you shouldn't dump a bunch of money into an older, high mileage car. However, alot of people have have extremely clean examples of these classic BMW's and as long as they enjoy what they're doing, who can put a price on that? Granted it doesn't make good economical sense, but these are more of a hobby, and not many hobbies do.

I can't wait to see how this car turns out, especially the M20 performance mods.

Comment

Originally posted by h0lmes
                          Hmm, this is an e30 forum. Most of us have put a lot of work into our cars and take pride in them. I don't think of my e30 as a beater and I would rather have it then most new cars.

Thats your opinion. I feel the same way. My car is pretty nice for being as old as it is. But I like what he's doing. Hes trying to prove that all these guys spending $$$ to make their car fast and whatnot is a bunch of BS. Its his money, his time, his car. Let him do what he wants. Just as we let you do what you want.

Kyle
                          1988 M3, 97 840, 99 XJ
                          DILLIGAF

Comment

Originally posted by bimmer8604
                            Thats your opinion. I feel the same way. My car is pretty nice for being as old as it is. But I like what he's doing. Hes trying to prove that all these guys spending $$$ to make their car fast and whatnot is a bunch of BS. Its his money, his time, his car. Let him do what he wants. Just as we let you do what you want.

Kyle

thanks kyle, i appreciate your attitude and your support. too many bashers on this forum. This is one reason im getting out of BMW's i just cannot stand alot of its members in the community, you dont get alot of those type of people in the higher marques. However there are still alot of great guys on the forum. I wish there was some way to filter out those that bash but unfortunately thats just not a possibility.

Anyways lotta updates coming next week, im hoping for baseline dyno by friday.

Comment

I just wanted to apologize for being so harsh earlier in this thread. I honestly jumped to conclusions and made an ass out of myself. I can say too much more anyway considering that I bought a couple replacement parts off ebay to complete my budget beater which really does look like a beater.

I surely don't consider myself an expert in the field of E30s but I do enjoy learning what I have so far through this forum though I wish some members could be a little bit more supportive or interjective with their comments instead of being downright negative and condesending. I definately don't want to be that kind of member either.

Good luck..

Comment

hehe, well considering i have two E30's i think i have decent experience in the E30 field. The reason im doing this is to make a point, think of it as a science expirament. I've been modding bmw's for years and one thing i've learned is just b/c you are spending more... does not mean you are getting more. You guys get to reap all the benefits :) . Next week should be busy week. can't wait to get it done. anyways ttyl.

Comment

Working...
                                X