E30 Newbie, what car is right for you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 Newbie, what car is right for you?

so im looking into getting an e30. I was curious if someone can give me a listing of all the e30 models created for the US and the type and size of motor they came with. I'm looking to get a very nicely powered e30 for a project, so im thinking turbo. Besides an e30 M3 which is basically impossible for me to find (and shouldnt be turboed), what is my best bet?

not all e30s were 4cyl, right?

Originally posted by m3j0n
    not all e30s were 4cyl, right?
    Nope. They came in 2 six-cylinder variants, the 325e and the 325i. The 325e is low revving and tuned for higher torque, and less horsepower, for better fuel economy. The 325i is a higher revving engine, with about 45-50 more hp than the 325e, and slightly lower torque.

Comment

how much money are you willing to spend?
      sigpic

Comment

well, i guess the 325I/IS is the way i need to go... how difficult is that car to turbo? Im looking to spend around 2k, max of 2.5K since its just an extra project. i have to factor funds to replace broken stuff, maintenance, and upgrades.

-jon

Comment

so was jordan's e30 "328is" a motor swap car?

Comment

Just a strongly built M20 AFAIK
            sigpic
            Wastedincome420@yahoo.com

CURRENT STOCK LIST:
            00' e38 750iL HighLine=Highway Queen
            92' e30 318 vert=Aint going anywhere
            91' e34 535iM=Aint going anywhere
            91' e34 525iA=For parts
            92' e34 535iA=For parts

Comment

so there was an e30 328? i think his cardomain site says its a 2.8 liter... the 325 is a 2.5L, right?

Comment

Jordan's engine is a bored and stroked 325i in a very basic sense. The engine was originally a 2.5L 325i m20.

The only six cylinder e30's in the US were the 325e's and 325i's the 325e or eta was 2.7L and the 325i was 2.5L

Comment

Not that Jordan's head needs to be any bigger but Jordan's car is the equivelant to the Chip Foose cars you see on "Overhaulin." It's the culmination of a lot of time, money, modification, and BMW knowledge.. done right the first time.

Comment

Jon, with your goals as stated, I would look for a 1988 Super eta "s" model, so you start with a 2.7l bolck, an "i" head, and a body that swaps over to the plastic bumpers without major mods. "s" means you ususlly get the sport seats and an LSD in the back. Sometimes (not in the case of my car) "s" models were better cared for...they were WAY more money, back then.

First mods would be an intake manifold, cam, and valve springs from an "i" motor, appropriate ECU, 19Lb injectors and an FMU.

I would buy head and all to swap, then get the "spare" head to the grinder bench to make more flow.

Add an aftermarket standalone engine management system, something else to replace the AFM, then turbo.

This is just my opinion, YMMV.

The "Super" ETA came only in 1988.

Welcome to the board!

Luke

Closing SOON!
                    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

luke, thanks for the info! how can i tell the difference between a regular 325 and a 325ETA?

Comment

luke, thanks for the info! how can i tell the difference between a regular 325 and a 325ETA?
                        Badging, and equipped options.

325 is like a stripper version of the 325e.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
                        https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

So it would be a 325es you want...

Luke

Closing SOON!
                          "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

How much power would you expect with the "i" head, valve...so on on the eta?
                            Flickr
                            Originally posted by Indecline06
                            For some reason, when I get super duper ultra stoned... The M30 motor reminds me of big bird from sesame street.

Comment

Originally posted by yberther View Post
                              How much power would you expect with the "i" head, valve...so on on the eta?

1992 BMW 325iC
                              1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
                              1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Working...
                              X