No announcement yet.

85 318i Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you pay hundreds to diagnose a problem on a m10? Didn't think so. Haven't touched the valves either, and already had a slight leak in my headgasket, only seems logical. Even if it is the valves, and I replace the headgasket, the head is getting sent off to the machine shop to get resurfaced and freshened/cleaned up. And if the valves made contact with the pistons, I wouldn't doubt some damage done to the pistons either. So I'm going to pull the head to check, but if there is excessive damage, no sense in dumping that much money into the m10

FYI: Average Shop rate here is $100+/hr
    The shop I worked at is $110/hr
    Talked with the techs and they had the same suspicion as me.
    Last edited by Hey_You; 02-08-2011, 02:43 PM.
    85' 318i ~The Bronze Bomber (FrankenM10 with a Forced Future :wgaf:)

Comment

You are a tard, go back, read my threads from 2007. I know what I'm talking about, I spent over $1500 on buying parts to get my m10 running, with advise from a bunch of people I didn't listen to. I ended up parting the car.

Listen to me, it will be the best ~$100 you'll spend on this car, aside from gas.

Comment

Originally posted by Hey_You View Post
        Found a donor 86' 535i for...$200. Tranny is bad, but mine is still good :)
        Wow that's a really good deal on that setup.:up:
        sigpic
        85 swartz/metallic 325E
        84 alpine 325E
        85 zinnoberot 318i/R.I.P
        84 Bronzit 318i/sold
        purchase feed back here=http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...82#post3535282

Comment

I'd say swap s52 like Josh then! :razz:

Comment

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber View Post
            You are a tard, go back, read my threads from 2007. I know what I'm talking about, I spent over $1500 on buying parts to get my m10 running, with advise from a bunch of people I didn't listen to. I ended up parting the car.

Listen to me, it will be the best ~$100 you'll spend on this car, aside from gas.
            I agree with Hey You, The m10 is a dime a dozen. It's pointless to spend a ton of money on that thing. If it was any other engine I would say the same thing, fix it and keep it.
            sigpic
            85 swartz/metallic 325E
            84 alpine 325E
            85 zinnoberot 318i/R.I.P
            84 Bronzit 318i/sold
            purchase feed back here=http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...82#post3535282

Comment

So I finally found the root to all my poor running conditions as of late. The wires that go to the coolant temp sensor (which I replaced the sensor) were cut, and had a resistor soldered in to trick the computer. I cut off the resistor and repaired the wire and boom, ran like a peach.

Comment

I could really use a detailed wiring diagram for the M10. Im racing on dirt so I have cut away EVERYTHING but what is hooked to the engine and the computer. I will even be puting in a FORD style solonoid to run the starter (keeps a large unfused wire from under the hood, by having it only carry voltage when starting) I am just trying to figure out what is signal and ref wires for the sensors and what the power flow is on the relays that connect with the injectors and such.

You solved the problem now on the driveability, I was about to sugest the Ign mod or maybe the pick up inside the dizzy.

PM me if you get that PDF of the wiring diagrams. it shouldnt be too big only needing engine preformance.

sigpic1984 318i Total conversion to a DIRT race car.
                Check out our build on facebook @ www.facebook.com/brewstermotorsports

Comment

COOLING FAN CIRCUIT
                  I'LL TRY LOOKING FOR THE OTHERS IN A COUPLE DAYS, MY LUNCH BREAK IS ALMOST OVER.

Comment

So today while on cruising around, the Bronze Bomber died on me. I was driving and lost compression. I will be pulling the freshly rebuilt head to check for damage to pistons/valves before I dive into the bottom end. I will post pictures of the carnage (if there is any) as I go, but damn, just getting off the trailer was a pain in the ass. My cat converter no longer has any shielding on it. I'm going to be picking up an e28 528e in a couple days so I will have wheels while my POS is under the knife.
                    Note: If top and bottom end are done, I will be swapping
                    If only bottom end is toast, I will be looking for a 2.0l block to freshen up and put my 1.8l head on it.
                    Last edited by Hey_You; 09-18-2011, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hey_You View Post
                      So today while on cruising around, the Bronze Bomber died on me. I was driving and lost compression. I will be pulling the freshly rebuilt head to check for damage to pistons/valves before I dive into the bottom end. I will post pictures of the carnage (if there is any) as I go, but damn, just getting off the trailer was a pain in the ass. My cat converter no longer has any shielding on it. I'm going to be picking up an e28 528e in a couple days so I will have wheels while my POS is under the knife.
                      Note: If top and bottom end are done, I will be swapping
                      If only bottom end is toast, I will be looking for a 2.0l block to freshen up and put my 1.8l head on it.
                      it's too bad you're not near NC. I'd have another head here for you. lol

Honestly I don't think it's worth resurrecting unless you really want to be one of the cool kids with an m10. I would just swap it. :D
                      '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
                      NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
                      Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

ok crazyman on page 3 said that a low grade fuel will cause a knock but i thought the car took a lower grade i had no idea it needs better fuel what grade should i be useing??

Comment

91 octane...or so it says on your fuel door. I only run 91 octane in my vehicles, only costs about $3 more per tank, so it's not a bad deal. Got a chance to pull my head today (still at work actually) and sadly, all my intake valves hit on the pistons. FML. Oh well, time to search for more power (24v), or atleast a cheap ass running m10 for temporary. Weird thing is my timing chain was still tight, so it didn't skip teeth.

Comment

ok so would the low grade gas give it a knock and mess with the idle at all?

Comment

Doubt it, pretty sure most people run 87 in their vehicles with no problems.

Comment

ok then well i wrote a new thread called 85 running issues its about one or two below this one so can anyone read it and give me any ideas

Comment

Working...
                                X