Help please! Stuck!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help please! Stuck!

I recently just purchased a 1988 535is, and its my first, having issues with back fire, hard to start and lags on 1st & 2nd gear, feels like its choking. Please help stuck at junk yard trying to figure out what to replace. Here's my number so that I don't have to keep checking the forum. 3605133553 thanks guys

I read a forum saying, it can be my MAF.

Comment

Originally posted by 3URO_BOY View Post
      I read a forum saying, it can be my MAF.
      First off, you don't have a MAF, it's a AFM, big difference, but we don't have to get into that here.

Could be the AFM as they get worn over from the flap going back and forth. usually will cause a flat spot when accelerating, possibly "choking" you're speaking of. You can open them up and move the arm so it rides on a new section. There is a write-up somewhere, here or mye28.

Also check out the coolant temp sensor and O2 sensor. I've had those play havoc with my car.

Do you have a Bentley manual yet? Should have mentioned that first. It's the bible for these cars. That and a multimeter will get you through pretty much any e28 problem.
      1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Easyist way to check your VAF is to just unplug it. Normally if its Bad,the car will get a Tad bit better and will NOT stall out when unplugged, if you have a Good VAF the car WILL stall out when unplugged.

VAF are cheap,but if you need the car to just get rolling, take it out and see if the flap is stuck, dont force it but you can move it with your hand with a little touch. Clean it out with carb cleaner.

Also take your ICV and clean that out,you should be able to shake it and hear it click.

The CTS is a Stupidly simple part that causes hell and is eazy to do,oh yeah its cheap too. Just replace it because if its not bad its going to go bad.

Also your older vacuum hoses willl start causing leaks when they get old,they get brittle and hard,Another cheap fix that will help.

Comment

Working...
        X