No announcement yet.

New to M10s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bump. Have installed another DME and car is still not running.

Have not checked the dizzy yet. I apologize for the late response. I've been troubleshooting my RX-7 which I just got running yesterday. Now it's back to this baby.

I had a somewhat knowledgeable acquaintance over 2 weeks ago to help look at the car. We tried to start it and we adjusted the dizzy in case it was just mildly rotated. Although if it was just mildly rotated it would run but just poorly, right?

With just turning the ignition to actuate the starter, it would just kick, but not turn over. With the starter actuated but with the accelerator to the floor it would start to pop very loudly in the engine bay and smoke would come out of the intake.

I've checked on multiple occasions and the dizzy is in the correct position as referenced in the Bentley manual while the flywheel is at TDC. However, it would seem that combustion is happening and the exhaust is coming out of the intake?

The popping and smoke is much louder and more rapid when spraying starter fluid into the intake manifold.

The acquaintance I had over suggested that maybe my timing chain isn't lined up right. Does this make any sense? He also said that the 5 yr old gas in the tank might be the issue. Would that cause a car not to start at all?

Comment

When initially lining up the distributor you should verify #1 is at TDC by having both the crank pully and cam lined up at their respective marks. If you can't get the cam and crank to line up at the same time then the timing is off.

Definitely get that gas out of there, flush the system with new fuel, and change the fuel filter. Anything left for more than a few months without stabilizer is risky.

Comment

Working...
      X