Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who has a Scorpion catback on their 325i/is?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who has a Scorpion catback on their 325i/is?

Looking for some opinions on Scorpion catback mufflers for an E30 M20B25.

Some recent video footage would be great too.

Originally posted by mach schnell View Post
    Looking for some opinions on Scorpion catback mufflers for an E30 M20B25.

Some recent video footage would be great too.
    I bought one about four years ago and I love it. It has zero drone and a really nice tone but it's pretty quiet. I think it has much better tone than stock, but honestly with the stock mid-pipes, i didn't find it much louder than stock with my M20. I don't have any vids of it because I swapped to an S52, but kept the Scorpion. It's just barely has a bit of burble on over run, just a little. If you are looking for something that you are going to hear and makes some noise, you may want to go a different route. I daily drive mine and it's perfect for me.
    Thank god, R3V was getting boring since the ginger kid wrecked his car. - Stonea

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

I wrote up a little review for the Scorpion catback a while ago and I still stand by how I felt about it then. It's been a couple years now and it's been excellent ever since, the noise is perfect for me - it opens up when I get on it, but it's fairly quiet overall. This is my daily so I appreciate that it isn't ripping and roaring all the time.

Here is a little sound clip from a while back, not revving it to eleventy but you get the idea:

Here is the review I wrote up a while ago from my build thread:

"Here is my review of the Scorpion exhaust:

It is extremely quiet, like stock quiet. When I am winding the car out past 4k rpms I notice a bit more of a rasp, but that is really it. Idle and cruising noise are identical to stock. If you want an exhaust that is going to turn some heads when you jump on the throttle, this is not the one for you. That being said, I'm really happy with it. At this stage of my build I am still ironing out the kinks, so I am constantly listening for bumps, squeaks, and rattles and I can hear everything just fine with this exhaust. Other benefits that I've noticed are a smoother acceleration and the car pulling right up to redline. Previously, it seemed to get sluggish past 5k rpms, I'm thinking my stock muffler may have been a bit clogged and worn out. There was a mild power gain, but I think this is more a benefit of replacing the old worn out unit.

Update 11/22/17: The exhaust has grown a bit louder now that the muffler has broken in, it is by no means overwhelming but it sings the straight six tune well. The signature M20 rasp sounds great while shifting at high rpms, and it provides a nice warble at idle and low in the rev range. Winding the car out while going through a tunnel or alongside a jersey barrier sounds fantastic My only qualm with it is that I think it can sound a little whiny, maybe even a little civic like, at WOT around 6-7k rpms."

Comment

Good review, thank you. That’s helpful.

Comment

Are we talking the same Scorpion muffler? I bought one from BavAuto 10 years ago. It's loud. More than the supersprint muffler on my coupe, which is just a little louder than stock. Not Magnaflow loud but getting close to it. You'd know it was me from a couple of blocks away loud.

Comment

Originally posted by mach schnell View Post
              Good review, thank you. That’s helpful.
              No problem!

Originally posted by uturn View Post
              Are we talking the same Scorpion muffler? I bought one from BavAuto 10 years ago. It's loud. More than the supersprint muffler on my coupe, which is just a little louder than stock. Not Magnaflow loud but getting close to it. You'd know it was me from a couple of blocks away loud.
              I haven't had the same experience fortunately. They may have changed the design over the years, but check out the product description from ECS, I believe they're intended to be a tad quiet:

"Built to last with 304 stainless steel and engineered for dyno-proven power gains. Scorpion proves performance exhaust doesn't need to be intolerably loud to sound great. They have been engineered to deliver a horsepower boost yet not be quite as loud as other free-flow systems."

Comment

Working...
              X