Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opinions needed re: engine hesitation/vibrations (M42)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions needed re: engine hesitation/vibrations (M42)

hey guys,

i would just like your help in diagnosing two problems that my car has. i am probably going to take it to the shop, but i would just like input. i know it is hard to diagnose problems over the internet, i will try to make it as descriptive as possible, so bare with me.

problem # 1:

sometimes when i start the car it will idle funny- going up and down between 800 and 500 rpm and then die. i can prevent it from stalling if i give it some gas. also, when i do get the car rolling, it seems to hesitate. when i push down on the gas pedal, the car will slowly accelerate, it almost feels like there is a slight resistance. then suddenly, the problem wears away and the car accelerates normally. this problem occurs at different times, sometimes when the car is parked for a long time, and other times when the car has just been restarted after a drive.

problem # 2:

i was out for a drive last night and i noticed when accelerating in first, at about 4500-6000 rpm, a vibration occurs. it also happens in second gear at around the same rpms, but is less noticeable. the vibration almost feels like it comes from the rear end of the car, but i'm not 100% sure. i checked the wheels and they were all torqued properly, and all the weights were still there. also, the there is not vibration at high speeds when i'm coasting, so i am almost certain it is not wheel related. i have no clue what this might be, if anyone has experienced anything similar and has diagnosed it, i would appreciate your input.

the engine is an m42.

thanks for reading all of that, your help is much appreciated.
Working...
X