Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kind of potential does my M10B18 have?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alright thanks for the input. i kinda thought that itd be too much work and money. I think i might Just save up for a new car. Maybe a 325i e30 or e36. Id definitely have a little more fun.

Comment

mike for the money you would spend on buying another car you could have a really nice m10, everyone trashes them and i know that they are work to make fast but its also an engine has been very successful in many different types of racing it can be a good enigine

Comment

Originally posted by MikeM10 View Post
        Alright thanks for the input. i kinda thought that itd be too much work and money. I think i might Just save up for a new car. Maybe a 325i e30 or e36. Id definitely have a little more fun.
        Id but your car for $500 and then youd have $2500 for an M20/s50'd car.
        sigpic"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." -Ferdinand Porsche
        The ugly car: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=209713

Comment

Is it just me, or is most of the m10 forum posters people telling everybody to get a different engine?

At any rate, I'd actually say they're probably right in your case, and I don't mean that in an offensive way. Working on the M10 to try to make a fast car is not for the faint of heart. I wouldn't do it if it was my daily driver. It's not as simple as ordering some parts, having nothing else to do on a Sunday, and driving to work really fast on Monday.

As far as what you're looking for a Megasquirt conversion with EDIS would give you some of what you're looking for but it would just make your car run more efficiently, no miracles. And it's not plug in play, so your daily driver would be out of commission for a bit.

Where there's a will there's a way, but only you know if it's worth it to you and a good idea.

Comment

Bottom end: higher compression pistons, lighter rods, balanced/edged crank, and/or a stroker set-up w/S14 bottom end.
            Top end: big cam, larger valves, springs/retainers, port matching, mild polishing
            Intake: dual sidedrafts w/mech dizzy, or ITBs
            Exhaust: headers
            Drivetrain: lighter flywheel, higher ratio rear diff

That's the way N/A 02ers do it. ;-)

Maybe take a look at Ireland to get a feel for parts/costs?

v i s i o n a u t i k s

Comment

Honestly, the only thing really wrong with the M10 is L-Jetronic.

I'm not huge on the engine myself, but all the M20 and especially M50 nut huggers can fuck off. Let's look back in history a little. M12b15, made well over 1000bhp on 10k rpm and over 50 psi of boost. M20 do that? Please, those rockers cry at mid powerband. M50? don't really think so. Apples to Oranges maybe but we have to remember it was based off of a factory block.

Yeah, that's right I dd one. It's slower than Blunt on a mid summers evening, but it also has charm. True I won't be building mine, I'll be damned if I give in to 12 or 24 valves.
              1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
              You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

Options for faster m10 for more power WITHOUT turbocharging. Spend your budget on PARTS from Ireland Engineering on top end. Scrap yard 2.0 block. Free Flowing exhaust. Still would need management for your setup to optimize fuel/air/spark. But then, you are in conflict with you DD status because you don't have the budget to have a shop do work for you, and you can't really do ALL the work in a very short turn over (weekend not possible). I love my m10, but when it comes down to it, without a TON of work, it won't be worth it without boost.
                85' 318i ~The Bronze Bomber (FrankenM10 with a Forced Future :wgaf:)

Comment

The advantage is though, you can use an aggressive cam WITH boost, and make absurd power.
                  1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
                  You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

Originally posted by Holland View Post
                    The advantage is though, you can use an aggressive cam WITH boost, and make absurd power.
                    Boost with an aggressive cam IS absurd... but not in a good way.

= massive blow-through
                    971-295-7077

91' 318i

Comment

....Let's look back in history a little. M12b15, made well over 1000bhp on 10k rpm and over 50 psi of boost. .
                      Originally posted by bmwguy325is View Post
                      ..... then turbo the hell out of it. BMW once got that engine to make 1000hp. May have only run a few hours but still.
                      Hmmm this M20 guy mentioned this option. Me luvs M10 turbo. My wallet well its race team budget got spent.
                      I think what he is saying is a cam with high lift and no duration.
                      sigpic"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." -Ferdinand Porsche
                      The ugly car: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=209713

Comment

Originally posted by Blackangusinc View Post

= massive blow-through
                        I hope when you say aggressive you mean high overlap and not high duration camshaft.

Comment

umm yeah - unless you're going custom grind, not likely to find such thang...
                          Schrick 292, 304 or 316 all has BOTH. Now lift of say of a 300, but duration of say of a 268 would be sweet for some forced induction.

v i s i o n a u t i k s

Comment

John
                            The Revolution will not be televised.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackangusinc View Post

= massive blow-through
                              Don't tell this guy not to boost with an aggressive cam, he recommends 304 and up. I believe he is on his own custom grind now but was using a 328/328 100 degrees LSA with serious power output.

800 HP out of an M10, there are some vids in the thread.

Beautiful engine BTW John ^
                              Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                              The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

As far as M10 NA potential, Paul Burke built one in 06-07 that did 321BHP on alcohol and 290BHP on gasoline. I think it was under 2 liters as well (for a specific racing class) I haven't seen better than that yet.
                                Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                                The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Working...
                                X