No announcement yet.

M10 knowledge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High-Dollar stuff (for the most part) but has parts for the m10 including Turbo Cams, and 2.6-2.7 liter stroker kits :|
    PurePerformanceMotorsport
    85' 318i ~The Bronze Bomber (FrankenM10 with a Forced Future :wgaf:)

Comment

I know the older 2liter blocks are mostly forged.
      no, you mean cranks. And yes, the 2002's are almost all forged, and
      the e21's went either way, with the e30 USUALLY being just cast.

As to blocks, the latest E30 blocks are the lightest AND quite strong BUT don't
      have the thickest cylinder walls for big bores/high pressures.

(did I say www.bmw2002.faq ? There's an old thread about how to tell forged cranks from cast...)

heh

t
      now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Doh. Yeah that's what I meant. I always heard that old myth that m10 blocks over 100k r the strongest. If that's true I don't see why that wouldn't apply to the later blocks as well. Seeing I've got almost 200k on mine T_T. Anyone know anyone boosting on an e30 block? Think about boosting on stock block with forged internals stock bore.

NEW ERA AUTO GLASS - SFV SOCAL - 818 974-3673
        DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

I'm sure that would be fine. Worst case scenario, you crack your block, and have to get a 2002 block anyways to swap your internals into (if they survive the block cracking)

Comment

http://gurneyflap.com/bmwturbof1engine.html

This will probably interest some of you. M10/12/13 f1 motor. 800hp @9000rpm

DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

Found what I was looking for. B18 block e30 head

"The blocks are the same I believe, the E30 318i block is different. Apparently lighter and stronger at the same time so a better choice if you have one. The difference between the 1.8 and 2.0 is the stroke of the crankshaft and the pistons, the combustion chamber is different as well. The rods are all the same. If you use the 2.0l pistons and crank then you will end up with a lower compression ratio(assuming you use the 1.8 head), not sure how much it would be lower."

http://forum.roadfly.com/threads/681...what-do-I-need

DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

Mods can you sticky?

DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

Anyone have a rear disk swap write up? Links?

DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

Blocks ARE different. They are NOT the same. Good luck trying to bolt up your passenger side motor mount on a 2.0l block. Also, there is some extra material on the older blocks. Somewhere on bmw2002faq there are multiple pictures showing differences.

Comment

Originally posted by Hey_You View Post
                      Blocks ARE different. They are NOT the same. Good luck trying to bolt up your passenger side motor mount on a 2.0l block. Also, there is some extra material on the older blocks. Somewhere on bmw2002faq there are multiple pictures showing differences.
                      Oh yeah I know of that difference. Since 2002 m10s r mounted vertically opposed to the e30 which is slanted. Il keep a look out for the thread. I've been surfing the web all day looking for info. Updated first post! Btw what are the dimensions for mount you made? If u don't mind me asking.
                      Last edited by E30_Pare; 06-12-2012, 05:03 PM.

DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

2002 m10's are not mounted vertically. They may have a different angle than an e30, but are definitely not vertical.

Comment

Call Paul Burke. /thread.
                          Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                          The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

1. The 292 cam is great for driveability, on and off of boost.
                            2. the blocks to use for a boosted m10 in an e30 are the e21 blocks. They have the same mount holes and are a much heavier casting. the 318 blocks tend to crack fromm the head bolt into the water jackets.
                            3. the stock headgasket sucks for boost. So unless you like to replace it often, I would go MLS.
                            4. If your going to try and run the factory computer with a FMU then you want the pistons from an e21, they were 8.2:1 instead of 9:1 or 9.3:1 to one.
                            4a. If you are building a turbo m10 don't waste your money on an FMU, add a hundred bucks to that and get a megasquirt. It's not the boost that will kill the motor it's the crappy timing control of the stock dist.
                            4b. when you lose the stock distributer and go crank fire, you can get a better selection of cams from the 2002 guys. (the distributer spins backwards)
                            5. It goes without saying but you need to run the correct pistons for your crank, the 2.0 e21 pistons and the 1.8 e21 pistons look the same but are different compression heights.
                            6. When you blow the e30 head up, you can use the e21 head by tapping the injector holes and putting a pipe plug in the holes. It's the same casting.
                            sigpic

Comment

Excellent info Solo! Chime in on thoughts for stock cam boost? Im planning 2.0 crank, rods, pistons on 318 block. m20 tb w/ edis/megasquirt then boost.

DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

ANY TIME you take your head off, GET NEW HEAD BOLTS! While the head is off, fill the bolt holes with brake clean to get the grime/shit out. Use Q-Tips to help get everything out of the holes. If you do not do this, when you torque your head bolts down, it will not be able to compress the grease/grime and the pressure in the holes will cause the block to crack at the bolt holes (Thus why I am using a 2002 block now)

Solo318: Any experience with a 304 cam?

Comment

Working...
                                X