Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there really only 1 M10 thread worth posting in ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there really only 1 M10 thread worth posting in ?

Like most of you, I'd like to think there is more to our particular strain of the e30 virus than just 1 thread. I have 3 other e30, all M20's including 2 cabrios, but I will have the M10 when all the others have been laid to rest.

Why ? Well...aside from having had it for 14 years and knowing it better than I know my (fill in your most intimate thought or place) and:

it truly is "tossable"
    when I work on it I can see EVERYTHING and never have to crane my neck or crawl under it for access.
    I can climb in the engine bay to work on it just like on a semi.
    It gets better mileage than my M20's
    There are only 8 valves to adjust
    It has NO TIMING BELT...did I mention it has no timing belt.
    You cant do a drum to disc swap on an M20 car (with few exceptions)
    it has a 4-600lb weight advantage over an M20.
    your sunroof and window switches NEVER go bad because you dont have any
    Only 4 spark plugs to replace, reduces maintenance costs.
    Rotor and distrubor cap is $20 not $75
    The battery does not cut in to valuable trunk space.
    You can change V belts without pulling the radiator
    You can adjust the advance without changing the cam gear.
    45MM strut houses have less unsprung weight than the 51mm (I did say that out loud)
    It is not nose heavy

What else ?
    Attached Files
    Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
    Alice the Time Capsule
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
    87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Meh, all you listed is pretty much null and void when it comes to my m10 powered e30.

Still cool little engines though.

Comment

Originally posted by SA E30 View Post
      Meh, all you listed is pretty much null and void when it comes to my m10 powered e30.

Still cool little engines though.
      I placed a call to Amazon yesterday and the girl I spoke to was in Johannesburg as well.

How is yours so different ? Is it the cost of parts in S Africa ?
      Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

Alice the Time Capsule
      87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Most of those reasons are why I picked up an M10 instead of any other of the e30s.

Comment

I wasn't initially after an M10, but I learned to live with it. 70whp of fury.
          1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
          You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

Sucker! My m10 powered e30 has power windows!
            85' 318i ~The Bronze Bomber (FrankenM10 with a Forced Future :wgaf:)

Comment

Mine did. I replaced them with manual ones.
              1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

I like the wheels on your car.
                - Josh
                1990 325is

Need a shift boot?
                Looking to buy shift boot frames, PM if you have one to sell

Here's what happens when you let the internet pick your license plate

Comment

Originally posted by Holland View Post
                  90whp with megasquirt. :)
                  '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
                  NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
                  Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

Originally posted by Holland View Post
                    I couldn't live with it so started with a 5 speed swap, 8 lb aluminum flywheel, headers & a cat delete. Transformational....I think I now have more WHP than my VW bus did.

Originally posted by Hey_You View Post
                    Sucker! My m10 powered e30 has power windows!
                    Do you not realize the hp drain when your alternator has to feed those switches...not to mention how they effect your centre of gravity ?

Alice the Time Capsule

Comment

I'm surprised more people don't turbocharge the M10 in the e30.
                      "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                      88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                      89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                      91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

I've emphasized on the lightweight factor of the M10 car. Crank windows, AC delete, PS delete, electric fan, euro bumpers (yes a large factor), Stereo delete, antenna delete.

It's my dd so I can't start going extreme yet, but I plan on it.

Things that have added weight: 3.73 medium case LSD, convertible and M3 swaybars, Sport seats (marginal), rear disc conversion (debatable?), 325i front brakes, 15x8 Compomotive's.

I really want to know how much my car weighs at this point.

Comment

talking about weight, my eta with euro bumper, no spare tire and 2 gal of gas weight at 2544lbs.
                          Bought parts from me before? leave your feedback here

Comment

Part of why I like them is that they're the black sheep of the e30 family, that and the M10 under the hood. People who hate on the M10 either don't know anything about BMW's history or are just too obnoxious to give a fuck. The M10 played a HUGE role in BMW's growth into what it is today. There's a reason Munich H.Q. is shaped like four cylinders...

Yeah, they're slow, but you know the cliche about it being more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow. "Tossable" like the OP said. There really isn't a better word for it, and the 6 cyl cars aren't the same. Nothing more fun than bombing down a twisty back road, keeping the momentum going and the engine spinning in the proper rev range, not just letting horsepower do all the work. That's what separates real "drivers" from simply people who drive fast.
                            '84 318i - Lapisblau/Schwarz (in cryosleep)
                            '06 330i - Titansilber/Schwarz

Comment

Originally posted by mr.vang View Post
                              talking about weight, my eta with euro bumper, no spare tire and 2 gal of gas weight at 2544lbs.
                              my 318 with myself(180lbs) mostly stripped interior and no ps/ac and full tank weighed 2200lbs.
                              '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
                              NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
                              Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

Working...
                              X