Greetings biotches, and HELLLP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings biotches, and HELLLP!

First off, i wanna say whazzap to all, this forum seems to have a lot of good info, without the b.s.

My name is Kris, im new to this forum but not forums, and i just picked up my first E30 (and first BMW). I've always wanted one, and the opportunity arose recently to pick up an 84 318I as a DD and i pulled the trigger. Great little car, cant wait to get to the "fun" mods.

When i bought it there were not really any signs of problems, just normal things associated with a 28 year old car. Its very clean, interior is good, body is straight. Not a late model 325 like i had hoped for, but i had a helluva time finding one for the right money. So i opted for the 4 banger.

Before you flame and bash ive searched across most of the BMW forums and read dozens of threads and have tried almost everything i can think of, and im almost out of ideas so im in need of a little help. So spare the wise cracks and "use search button" comments.

Here we go...So a couple of days after driving it about 150 miles, the tank was a little below quarter tank and the car started surging from 3100rpm up till a tad over 4200. All gears, worse and worse from 1st being slight to 4th and 5th being almost undrivable. It has to do with the amount of load on the engine im sure.

I immediately searched around and found a lot of "surging" issues, only a few threads had to do with driving but most were idle issues which i dont have. So after reading a bunch and speaking with Igor at Auto Haven here in sac, i started process of elimination. And thanks to Auto Heaven for the head start on the ideas!

This is what ive done so far, and i guess im looking for some more possibilities that you more seasoned e30 guys might now. I am a cert. motorcycle mechanic and have been wrenching everything i could get my hands on since i was a cub.

-new fuel filter
    -new engine to chassis ground wire
    -1 1/2 tanks now of fuel system cleaner (seafoam)
    -replaced 2 fuel line hoses and fixed a couple other small leaky clamps
    -replaced little 90 degree elbow below the ICV (was cracked and taped b4)
    -looked for vacuum leaks (everything seems good cant find any)
    -checked intake manifold for air leaks (none)
    -checked TB and TB intake boot for air leaks (none)
    -new fuel pressure regulator
    -bypassed the little electronic doohicky for ignition advance to the dizzy (same problem still)
    -inspected cap and rotor (good)
    -fuel pump seems good (havent checked pressure with a gauge yet but im 99% sure its not the issue as i dont have these probs in high rpm when demand is highest)
    -cleaned IACV
    -cleaned AFM
    -replaced spark plugs

Things i havent done yet that i can think of(i guess im looking for conformation/disapproval and new ideas as well) and also cost a bit more than the previous listed and also more simple things:
    -replace cap/rotor or even entire distributor
    -coolant temp sensor (or any other sensors yet)
    -ECU (read one guy had very similar problem and new ECU fixed it due to loose solder connections)
    -fuel pump
    -checked timing
    -tested fuel pressure
    -timing belt maybe?
    -replaced sensor thats in front of air box (the little guy on between the air box and the back of the plastic headlight panel)

Thats all i can think of ATM, hope you guys can provide some input. Thanks for takin some time and hope to be able to help out in return. I will definitely see a few folks on dec 1st. (those in the sacramento area). HELP HELP HELP so i can spend my hard earned $$$ on more fun stuff!!!
    Peace. :finger:

Welcome aboard Kris and congrats on your new addiction. It sounds like you've taken some good first steps.

2 thoughts...the M10 does not have a timing belt and you might want to replace the FI orings since they can also be a source of a vacuum leak. MrInjector.com sells a nice little kit that includes filters, caps, washers etc
    Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
    Alice the Time Capsule
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
    87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

I will put that on my list of "do for sures" thanks!

Comment

Couple of things. Replace your CTS for maintenance reasons. Check the ground wire going to the top of your intake manifold. Check the small reference wire going to your starter for tightness (should just push on with a spade connector). Your car has 2 fuel pumps, one might be starting to go out
        85' 318i ~The Bronze Bomber (FrankenM10 with a Forced Future :wgaf:)

Comment

aight cool! ill check those couple things after we get done stuffing our faces!!! happy thanksgiving all. I'll keep you updated...

Comment

fuel pump(s) would be the first thing I'd rule out...

t
            now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

You can also test your afm for proper voltage output using a 9v battery and a multimeter. You should see a steady rise in voltage as you go from full closed to full open. Check out this thread:

Comment

another thing ill add in which i didn't before because i wasn't 100% sure, is that the surging/cutting out doesn't happen when the engine is cold. It may be there but very slight almost unnoticeable, and once its warmed up to normal operating temp its very prevalent. This leads me to belive its not the fuel pump. I will be doing CTS and a couple things tomorrow morning when the stores open back up. Ill keep you guys update an thanks for the input you all are awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by skunkworx View Post
                  aight cool! ill check those couple things after we get done stuffing our faces!!! happy thanksgiving all. I'll keep you updated...

BAH Thanksgiving was back in october WHERE IT SHOULD BE!!! :hitler:

LOL

sigpic1984 318i Total conversion to a DIRT race car.
                  Check out our build on facebook @ www.facebook.com/brewstermotorsports

Comment

Originally posted by tobyb View Post
                    fuel pump(s) would be the first thing i'd rule out...

T
                    +1
                    ?

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
                      fuel pump(s) would be the first thing I'd rule out...

t
                      I agree, my mechanical experience tells me its acting like an air leak after the TB...

so i replaced the CTS, checked the grounds and all wire connections, did the in-tank fuel pump for shits and giggles, i can hear the exterior one working fine.

I also put a new O2 sensor on because i have an inspection light but with an e30 who doesnt have their light on eh? but the light is still on. oh well.

the last thing i looked at and havent done yet was the throttle body. Its got some oily residue on it from the valve cover breather hose so i thought damn it must be leaking.

Pulled of the TB and cleaned it, and reapplied some hondabond gasket since i cant get a gasket at 8:00pm on a friday. Ill have to order the right one later from partsgeek or sumthing i think its like 2 bucks. Letting it sit for a couple hours then ill try a test drive.

Waiting now for it to dry, i have a feeling this might do the trick because despite all my efforts and the damn thing running better than ever (besides the original problem) its now the only thing i can think of that would solve it.

its not ignition related, its not fuel related, not vacuum related, so its gotta be air...unless its the ECU or a ground I'm missing somewhere but i doubt its that.

once and a while i smell that super lean weird smoggy smell that that leads me to believe the fuel mixture is getting all jacked ass-ways and i know what rich smells like and that aint the smell.

My next step if this TB thing doesn't work is the opening the ECU and ICM to check solder connections, then I'm really starting to run out of ideas. Thanks guys for the suggestions, and even though they didn't fix the problem...yet... it is running much smoother everywhere else.

Comment

ALSO...anyone know the difference between injectors in a 325 and a 318? can they be swapped? theres a couple 6 cylinder e30's at picknpull also an e36 318i i could just snag and try before i wait for an o-ring kit to come...thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by skunkworx View Post
                          ALSO...anyone know the difference between injectors in a 325 and a 318? can they be swapped? theres a couple 6 cylinder e30's at picknpull also an e36 318i i could just snag and try before i wait for an o-ring kit to come...thanks again.
                          they can be swapped in no problems
                          ?

Comment

so the injectors are clickin' away with new o-rings and spacers. I do not think my issue is fuel related. Gasket between the TB and intake manifold is new. No vacuum leaks. Could it be out of time? anything else ignition related maybe? havent checked inside the AFM yet on the carbon ribbon part that the contact rides on... other than that im stumped besides new or known good working ICM and ECU.

Comment

Tps? Trying to remember my m10 days....

So it idles fine until warm then tweaks out only under load?

Are you sure the afm and icv are good to go? And all the boots and vacuum lines are crack free? I know that most of the time they'll look of but once they get tweaked a little like when you're pulling off sensors they tend to have lost the ability to be elastic.

I only ever had an idle problem caused by the afm and icv being toast.
                              Swanny!
                              SUCKERS.

Comment

Working...
                              X