Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E34 535i manual feels very slow? Just me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E34 535i manual feels very slow? Just me?

Just traded out the 5.0 E30 for a low mileage E34 535I with 5 speed trans.

It feels very slow, I understand that it SHOULD feel slow considering my last vehicle. However when I am having to punch it to keep up with minivans from a light, something doesn't seem right.

Also, there is no power curve, or a very flat one. It seems to pull best below 3k, which still isn't much. I have heard that the m30 loves revs, which this one struggles. Does any of this sound normal?

I have a feeling the cat may be clogged, but I want to get some opinions before I go tearing into it.
    No E30 Club
    Originally posted by MrBurgundy
    Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Compression test. Might just be a worn engine. So it doesn't miss or anything like that? Just feels sluggish?

What diff is there in it aswell?

Comment

Only 138k on the car (engine vin matches vehicle), so I would think that compression shouldn't be an issue.

No miss, just slow. Stock diff, this car is pretty much unmolested other than coilovers.

I'm curious if I am just expecting too much.
      No E30 Club
      Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Has it had a good ole fashion tune up recently?

Have any records with the car?
        1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

I don't know why everyone thinks the 535i's are rocket ships. A stock 535i should be about the same as an M50 525i. You have to remember...535i/M5's are the heaviest E34 out there...by several hundred lbs...

Comment

If it's just slow I'm cool with that. I picked this car up for the luxury/comfort aspect.

That said, I just hooked up a vacuum gauge and am only getting 12 inches at idle. Every other engine I've worked on in the past idles around 16-17. Looking more and more like a clogged cat.

Plus the smell, something burning, like insulation. I have had it on a lift and didn't see any issues, no oil leaks onto the exhaust. It's not the usual rotton egg smell associated with a bad cat, but it would make sense if they are getting super hot.

Oh yea, no vacuum leaks.
            Last edited by Exodus_2pt0; 06-17-2013, 09:55 AM.
            No E30 Club

Comment

While mine wasn't a speed demon, it certainly got up & moved just fine. The M30 is a nice, torquey engine. I'm thinking something is amiss.

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0 View Post
                If it's just slow I'm cool with that. I picked this car up for the luxury/comfort aspect.

That said, I just hooked up a vacuum gauge and am only getting 12 inches at idle. Every other engine I've worked on in the past idles around 16-17. Looking more and more like a clogged cat.

Plus the smell, something burning, like insulation. I have had it on a lift and didn't see any issues, no oil leaks onto the exhaust. It's not the usual rotton egg smell associated with a bad cat, but it would make sense if they are getting super hot.

Oh yea, no vacuum leaks.
                I wouldn't skip straight to a clogged cat. Is the vac gauge steady 12 in.Hg? A steady reading indicates that it's likely not the cat...because both sides would have to be clogged to produce a steady reading...usually it's a fluctuating reading or a gradual drop of the reading if the cat is clogged. If it's steady, I would adjust valves, check compression and clean the TB. You are reading vac at op temp right?

Comment

Originally posted by MeanM50 View Post
                  I don't know why everyone thinks the 535i's are rocket ships. A stock 535i should be about the same as an M50 525i. You have to remember...535i/M5's are the heaviest E34 out there...by several hundred lbs...
                  Thank you FINNALLY SOMEONE Says the TRUTH!

Comment

^ Thanks for the informative post.... No one is saying these cars are rocket ships. I am just asking what I should be expecting from it.

Today I pulled the cat down and it did not look too healthy. Installed some pipe in it's place, and drove it home. The car feels much better, no longer feels like it has a cork in the tail pipe. Accelerates with much less pedal than before. I wasn't looking for rocket ship speed, if I was I would have kept the 302 powered E30.

I'm still going to adjust the valves when I get a chance this week, and drop in some new plugs and a fuel filter. This car is soon to be my designated baby hauler, so I need it in tip top shape for when the Mrs. has it.

Thanks to those who offered their experiences!
                    No E30 Club

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28 View Post
                      Has it had a good ole fashion tune up recently?

Have any records with the car?
                      Supposedly there are records in the glove box, which I have yet to get open. Hopefully I'll get a chance to look at it this weekend. I also have to fix most of the seat cables.

It needs some love, but so far it's turning out to be a solid car.
                      No E30 Club

Comment

^ Thanks for the informative post.... No one is saying these cars are rocket ships. I am just asking what I should be expecting from it.

Today I pulled the cat down and it did not look too healthy. Installed some pipe in it's place, and drove it home. The car feels much better, no longer feels like it has a cork in the tail pipe. Accelerates with much less pedal than before. I wasn't looking for rocket ship speed, if I was I would have kept the 302 powered E30.

I'm still going to adjust the valves when I get a chance this week, and drop in some new plugs and a fuel filter. This car is soon to be my designated baby hauler, so I need it in tip top shape for when the Mrs. has it.

Thanks to those who offered their experiences!
                        I drove all flavors of E34s when new...back then, the M30 car was pretty snappy compared to most of what was on the market. It aint a rocket, but not a slug either.

Welcome to the E34 side, brother, lemme know if you need anything.

Luke

Closing SOON!
                        "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

^ Will do. In my short time with this car, the only e30 I will ever own again will have to be a second car. I've fallen in love with the e34 as a daily. BTW, this already has one of your boxes in the trunk. Amazing work, the sounds that come from that 10" sub give me an eargasm on my commute every day.

I really wish I had crossed over sooner. My wife is already slowly laying claim to it. I am trying to get her to sell her Sunfire, sadly I think we could get enough out of it to purchase a decent condition stock e34 for her, and have a 500% nicer vehicle.
                          Last edited by Exodus_2pt0; 06-17-2013, 06:52 PM.
                          No E30 Club

Comment

^ Will do. In my short time with this car, the only e30 I will ever own again will have to be a second car. I've fallen in love with the e34 as a daily. BTW, this already has one of your boxes in the trunk. Amazing work, the sounds that come from that 10" sub give me an eargasm on my commute every day.

I really wish I had crossed over sooner. My wife is already slowly laying claim to it. I am trying to get her to sell her Sunfire, sadly I think we could get enough out of it to purchase a decent condition stock e34 for her, and have a 500% nicer vehicle.
                            Wow...eargasm...LOL. That quote is on the GAS FB page, thanks!

Wait...what is weird is that we have only shipped like maybe 35 E34 10's...very weird that you bought a car with one in it. Glad to hear you are impressed!

Just so ya know, we also have amp racks and a new thing, our Passive Crossover Network...easily our best item yet. If you have an E34 or newer BMW and you care at all about sound quality, you need one. The stock E34 speakers are just fantastic with our crossover, far better than JL or Focal or whatever.

Congrats on the E34!

Luke

Closing SOON!
                            "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

In my short time with this car, the only e30 I will ever own again will have to be a second car. I've fallen in love with the e34 as a daily.
                              My feelings exactly.

Comment

Working...
                              X