New parts!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Comment

Did you swap the FD yet?
      '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
      NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
      Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

Ha, nah. That thing has 14000 miles on it.

Comment

Hey man I think we met at Harbor Freight a week or so ago! Love your build thread!

Comment

Originally posted by swingard View Post
            Hey man I think we met at Harbor Freight a week or so ago! Love your build thread!
            Hell yeah that was me! Twas nice to meet you. I got the proper size key for the transmission, fluid has been changed and we're going to be putting it in the car next weekend (hopefully)!

Comment

And it ROARS to life!

but with a horrible idle that sometimes doesn't exist, and so it dies, and then it won't start again, at least for 15 minutes or so....

Comment

We replaced the fuel rail and lines from the new engine with the one from the original engine and still having some fuel (seemingly) issues. Our plan is to test the transfer pump and then main fuel pump this Saturday. Wish us luck!

We were trying to check the timing but the thing won't run for more than 5 seconds and only if you don't touch the throttle. If you touch the throttle then it shuts right off.

Any ideas anyone?

Comment

Throttle position switch? Air flow meter?

t
                  now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

I believe if the AFM is toast, you can unplug it and the car will idle roughly but do nothing else. I've ran with a bad transfer pump before, the car will run but will struggle. You should be able to hear it prime when you first turn the key. Other than that you can jumper the fuel pump relay to hear the main pump.

The TPS only has an idle switch and full throttle switch, it's not like a modern TPS that tells position through the whole range.

If the car starts, the timing isn't too far off, but you can double check that the rotor is lined up with the mark when #1 is at TDC.

Double check all of your vacuum connections.

Comment

Curious to see. My car is having these symptoms and I have replaced all of these things to no avail.
                      1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
                      You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

I shall be double-checking vacuum, fuel pumps and I guess unplugging and plugging my afm to see if anything changes. Thanks guys!

Comment

vacuum was ok, fuel pumps checked and the transfer pump was dead. got a new one from the pick-n-pull yard for $27 and it works great, but it still doesn't start consistently and when it does it immediately dies.

Comment

New one

Old one next to new one

Comment

Any ideas, gents?

Comment

When you checked the vacuum lines, did you pull off the intake boot and check it for cracks? Have you changed the fuel filter? This should be done just for general maintenance anyways.

Make sure all the grounds for the engine are clean, that can do some weird things.

Do you have a spare fuel pressure regulator that you can swap in?

Comment

Working...
                                X