M10 does during idle and won't start back up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jaxx_ View Post
    Cool. Since you know you have spark and no fuel, check that the injectors are firing. You can do this with a 12V LED to a injector connector. Try to start the car and if it flashes at all you have an issue with fuel actually reaching the fuel rail--in which case the diagnostic of fuel pump (inline or tank) is probably correct. The next step is to check for battery voltage at each pump when trying to start. If they are both getting power you need to see which one isn't running. Then replace it.

I doubt that a fuel filter would cause a catastrophic failure like this(no start). The fact that it died during idle is something to consider in itself--so I wouldn't start looking at things that fail slowly (although irrelevant to the situation--spark plugs, fuel filter, etc)

vac leaks, unless massive(and even if they are massive I'd still doubt this), won't cause the car to not fire at all.

Cool thanks for all the info. Very helpful. Got a fuel pump today will update after the install
    sigpic

Comment

Installed the new fuel pump and now i hear it coming on but when i went to start the car it backfired and ripped a hole in my intake boot and started smoking. So i have fuel and spark but cant figure out the issue now. Spark plugs? Distributor? Timing?
      sigpic

Comment

Anyone?
        sigpic

Comment

Need more info than that. What color was the smoke? Check your timing. Get the first piston to the top then pop off your valve cover and check the mark on the chain sprocket. There's also a mark on your crank pulley. Or if you have a timing light there should be a view window on top of the bell housing. Shoot the light in there with the car running at rev's and should see a mark.

NEW ERA AUTO GLASS - SFV SOCAL - 818 974-3673
          DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

backfired out the intake and grayish smoke was coming out. I'm going to set the engine at TDC and see if everything lines up. i don't see how it would have just went out of whack with the timing. it was driving fine before this happened.
            sigpic

Comment

interesting. Well if its black smoke typically means too much fuel. Did it start and run? If you intake boot is split wrap it up in some duct tape for the time being.

NEW ERA AUTO GLASS - SFV SOCAL - 818 974-3673
              DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

Originally posted by E30_Pare View Post
                interesting. Well if its black smoke typically means too much fuel. Did it start and run? If you intake boot is split wrap it up in some duct tape for the time being.

It wasn't black really. And no it didn't start and run at all it just sputtered then backfired then smoke started coming out.

I may just ditch the m10 and go with a 24v swap or swap a healthy m20 into it.

I'd rather just get it running, sell the car, and purchase an e36 m3 since i have another e30 already. Idk we'll see what happens after i do a few more tests. If it cost up to 500$ to repair ill just buy a new engine
                sigpic

Comment

going to get back to work on the engine tomorrow. any other input or ideas is greatly appreciated.
                  sigpic

Comment

Was able to start her today. Changed the spark plug wires and rotated the distributor. Would only hold an idle if i had my foot on the throttle but wouldn't rev passed 800rpms even if i pressed down full throttle. Going to check the timing tomorrow to see if everything matches up and get a replacement intake boot. So frustrating this engine is a piece of poop
                    sigpic

Comment

I guess no one gives a shit about these engines lol
                      sigpic

Comment

Solved the problem. The initial problem was the fuel pump but somehow the distributor wasn't in the proper position and threw the whole timing off. Rotated the distributor while i had my sis crank the motor until it started and now she's running better than ever
                        sigpic

Comment

That's great! I'm glad you got it working. I've been trying to get my m10 started for some time now. Found out the in-tank transfer pump was bad, so I replaced that and still no start. We're getting spark and it's kicking, but just not starting. Every once in a while it will start, but will die almost immediately after.

Comment

Originally posted by gettinscurvy View Post
                            That's great! I'm glad you got it working. I've been trying to get my m10 started for some time now. Found out the in-tank transfer pump was bad, so I replaced that and still no start. We're getting spark and it's kicking, but just not starting. Every once in a while it will start, but will die almost immediately after.
                            Sounds like a timing issue. Im having somewhat the same problem..car will start and drive but when i turn the car off it won't start up again. Im thinking i have a bad distributor. Going to replace that and see what happens.
                            sigpic

Comment

Quick update. Couple weeks ago i got it to start again and used to check if the timing was correct we used a timing light. Everything was timed correctly. After that night i drove it home and the next day, no start again. Hast started in a couple weeks now. Could a faulty distributor cause this? Clogged injectors? Vaccum leak? I replaced the cap, rotor, and plugs a few days ago and it started right up after the install and while it was warming up it died and couldn't start it up again after that. Ignition coil was replaced not too long ago. Im really stumped. Getting spark,getting fuel, timing is correct. What next?

Please, any help will be greatly appreciated
                              sigpic

Comment

Bump
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X