No announcement yet.

Check out this turbo M10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know about your personal turbo preference and experience, but this machine is well matched to the turbo at the moment. The resulting pressure differential with this turbo is really good with this "aggressive N/A" cam, a good match so there is no risk of back pressure. It's not too small, you have boost as soon as the cam comes on, and it's big enough that it doesn't run out of efficiency at 1.5 bar and 8000 rpm.

Some people like to have boost even when the cam isn't on yet, this makes for a torque bomb (driveline killer) and will limit your top power, type of cam profiles and maximum boost (only a small turbo will be efficient enough to spool before the cam comes on).

It's not really a ketchup effect, no one is stupid enough to shift into 4th after leaving 2nd gear. If you're in the efficiency sweet spot of the cam (4k and up) you'll have full boost instantly, it's sweet. There is a lot to explain the nice driveability of this car.

I currently runs a low 7 second 1/8 mile (on the street).

Comment

With a 3.5 sec 0-60, it's got to have a least a little low end grunt.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by IS
        That's a huge turbo for such a small engine.
        First thing I thought when I saw it. That thing must be retarded fast when it spools though.
        Erick Mahle | FullOpp Drift | YouTube
        EurostopUSA | Dunlop Tires | Ireland Engineering | EnthusiastApparel | Ground Control

..::Support FullOpp::..
        FullOpp Stickers for sale!
        NEW | Enthusiast Apparel T-Shirts! | NEW
        Feedback Thread

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
        ...one of the most hardcore E30's around. :D

Comment

I might get some video for you later this summer.

Comment

From tonight:

Comment

I just creamed my pants....i want a 2002 like that....true story :shock:

Comment

hottt!!! the intercooler is bigger than my radiator, lol... how many lbs. of boost?
                Old and improved:

Comment

Currently 1.4 bar of boost, which resulted in a 7.6 sec 1/8 mile.
                  Last years 7.3 secs shouldn't be far away with the 1.8 bar boost he ran in the past fall. Especially considering that he hasn't mapped the Haltech completely yet, the improvements to the intake & exhaust manifolds seem to have changed the fuel tables (for the better).

Comment

How wide are those rears?

-Dan

Comment

M/T 26x10"

Comment

A few days ago the owner of the '02 mounted a Holset H2C turbo (58 mm inducer, 72 mm exducer, 22 cm^2 exhaust housing). Something has happened now and it's even more efficient then before at 1.5 bar. Exhaust back pressure is only 0.7 bar.
                        In a month I can get back with some 1/4 mile times, I'm hoping for a high 6 second 1/8 mile, maybe high 10 second 1/4 mile and 200+ km/h ET on the 1/4 mile.

Comment

and all this is done on stock internals except for forged mahle pistons? what are the rod thickness on the 318 engine or maybe m10 as its called? Im new to the bmw scene..I wanna know this to do a comparison to the stock volvo rods and see how they compare. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by skeides
                            and all this is done on stock internals except for forged mahle pistons?
                            Yes, it's all stock except the pistons. The rods are not the weak part, but getting some aftermarket rods in there might make you sleep better at night when pushing 400+ hp. The stock rods are very comparable to the strength of the Volvo 'M rods'.
                            (We PM'ed about this)

Comment

Here are some questions ;)

1) Is it running tougher valve springs ?

2) Any special clearance for the valves (non factory spec ?)

3) Oil cooler ?

4) Kind of oil ?

I'd bet it pulls like an electric train :D

Comment

im loving the welds on the header LOL

Comment

Working...
                                X