Cold Start Issue: Wont hold idle after ~30sec SOLVED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sert57 View Post
    So its basic, but have you checked the engine ground cable? I could see it giving some of the described symptoms.
    I havent, but I will check. Are you talking about the cable that goes to the motor mount arm or something?
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

cable from oil pan (near oil level sensor) to chassis

Comment

I had an issue where the car would die within 5 seconds when it was -25c ish out no matter what I did. it would only stay alive if the engine got warm enough or I heated up the ambient air to around 0c.

Ended up being the spark plugs were loose and were not grounding (i assume) because of the cold (I assume) and would flood out and die (I assume).

Some one else mentioned grounding so maybe not getting proper ground and a full spark causing it to die until its warmed up.

Comment

Wanted to update this because Im about ready to say the problem is solved....

The issue had become more and more intermittent, but it was still there. It basically became a once a week issue or so. More and more I suspected the injectors. My mechanic had the car for about a week and said the issue only popped up once and then it started right after it died. My mind was telling me that there wasnt enough fuel and once the car switched the "cold start mode" off and likely trimmed down the fuel supply it wasnt enough to keep it going.

With this in mind, I decided to charge forward with the 19# injectors (rebuilt set bought from Bimmer_Baron) and a Sssquid chip tuned for 91octane and the injectors.

2 steps forward... by 2mAn

Ignoring the issues with installation and all that fun stuff I dealt with, when the injectors were out, they were VERY dirty. Granted part of that was from the removal process and the dirty area they were in, but a few of the injectors were still so nasty even after trying to clean them.

Its been a week since the install and I havent had any issues with the car dying. I will report back in a few weeks again to confirm, but for now it seems the injectors were the biggest issue, but replacing the coolant temp sensor definitely helped the problem.
          Simon
          Current Cars:

Comment

Fuel pump relay or main relay? Mind did a similar thing a ciuole tears back

Comment

Weird, I had my injectors cleaned and bench tested and now I'm having a similar issue with low idle and dying. It sounds like you might have solved it. However, have you bench tested your AFM to ensure you have resistance throughout the duration of the door opening? Have you bench tested your ICV per Bentley and in the car? The pulse sensor (aka CPS) is typically fine unless your idle is crazy. and you can test it, you also need to make sure it's gapped correctly. Your TPS will cause erratic idle, and you'll need to test it before you pull your throttle body, then you need to make sure your throttle plate is set to spec with the set screw set properly, then you have to set your TPS properly for idle, then non-idle, then 10* from WOT.

I'm going through an idle-ing issue and a check engine light (with originally auto M1.1 with 173 DME that doesn't show codes during a stomp test...) and I've learned ALOT from all of these sensors

Another thing to know about M1.3 harness. The C191 connection for the fuel rail becomes loose (the female side doesn't squeeze the male side like it should - so continuity isn't ideal) which causes a big issue with M1.3 M20b25s that typically become overlooked. I suspect I have a harness issue.
              Paynemw
              1986 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - Sold!
              the ebb and flow of 325is ownership - In RVA
              1988 BMW 535is - RIP but my dream BMW

Comment

I havent done either of those things. The AFM looks brand new and the ICV was cleaned.

Since the injector change, the car hasnt had the issue at all.

Edit: No reason to bump the thread...

Car was parked for a week while I was out of town. Came home and it fired up no problem. Im confident that the sensors helped but ultimately the issue was the nasty injectors.

Start with the basics!
                Last edited by 2mAn; 12-13-2017, 02:04 PM. Reason: Solved
                Simon
                Current Cars:

Comment

Working...
                X