my clutch has gone completely soft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my clutch has gone completely soft

Two days ago i was driving and the gasket on the throttle body heater blew out and i lost all my coolant.i bypassed the heater but my clutch has gone totally soft and i have no idea whats wrong. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Did she laugh at you, or was she sympathetic? Sometimes, the sympathy only makes it worse.
    Or so I've heard...

But seriously, folks...

Are you low on brake fluid by any chance? It also makes the clutch hydraulics work,
    so if you run really low, the clutch system can get air into it. But that's pretty
    unusual...

Next, support it safely then
    crawl underneath and check the clutch slave. It's on the driver's side of the
    transmission, not too far back from the engine, and up high enough
    in the tunnel that it's not too easy to get to. It has one hydraulic hose going to it
    and one nipple pointed down at you. I'll bet there's fluid
    leaking out of it. Then you get the utter joy that is changing it (it's a pain. Not as
    bad as a 5- speed in a 2002, but it's a pain) refilling the brake fluid reservoir, and bleeding
    it.
    If there's not fluid all over, next is the master. It's under the dash, attached to the
    clutch pedal. If IT has fluid leaking out, then you get to change it. Even if it doesn't,
    it's probably what went wrong-
    but you should probably try bleeding it first, just to make sure it's really dead. They
    usually are.

Tip your server, I'm here all week...

t
    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
      Did she laugh at you, or was she sympathetic? Sometimes, the sympathy only makes it worse.
      Or so I've heard...

But seriously, folks...

Are you low on brake fluid by any chance? It also makes the clutch hydraulics work,
      so if you run really low, the clutch system can get air into it. But that's pretty
      unusual...

Next, support it safely then
      crawl underneath and check the clutch slave. It's on the driver's side of the
      transmission, not too far back from the engine, and up high enough
      in the tunnel that it's not too easy to get to. It has one hydraulic hose going to it
      and one nipple pointed down at you. I'll bet there's fluid
      leaking out of it. Then you get the utter joy that is changing it (it's a pain. Not as
      bad as a 5- speed in a 2002, but it's a pain) refilling the brake fluid reservoir, and bleeding
      it.
      If there's not fluid all over, next is the master. It's under the dash, attached to the
      clutch pedal. If IT has fluid leaking out, then you get to change it. Even if it doesn't,
      it's probably what went wrong-
      but you should probably try bleeding it first, just to make sure it's really dead. They
      usually are.

Tip your server, I'm here all week...

t
      i attempted to bleed my clutch and the nipple on the slave cylinder snapped clean off. uuuugh. i saw no leaks but ill need a new one though...

Comment

Bleeders can be bought. Try to get the old one out and save some money.

Comment

Working...
        X