comprehensive fastener hardware list?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

comprehensive fastener hardware list?

So my winter project has begun on my '89 IS. I have the engine and drive train out of the car, and will be doing a comprehensive rebuild of just about everything under the body. I have been saving the old fasteners in as organized way as I can, but would love to use new ones upon re-assembly where possible.

My question is: has anyone ever compiled a comprehensive list of fasteners which would make it easy for someone to order in one batch? I know many others have done this kind of restoration work, and wondering if you simply ordered as needed or made a list?

thanks!
    current fleet: '89 325is; '91 325ic; '88 325is; '91 325i

I don't know of anyone doing that, especially since each different model is going to have a different set of lists.

But www.realoem.com is going to be where you want to start. If you make an excel list, you should post it up with your make/model for others.
    AWD > RWD

Comment

thanks, I might just do that...I have plenty of time, and 3 other e30's in my fold. so I might need it for a future build.:)

Comment

I'm slowly making one for most engine hardware. I'm going to make a 2.7i and am going to be using all new hardware for the engine =) I posted in the test forum it's probably still there. It's not that complete yet
        BMW tech
        Umass Amherst
        05 wrx sti

Comment

Originally posted by mybimr View Post
          So my winter project has begun on my '89 IS. I have the engine and drive train out of the car, and will be doing a comprehensive rebuild of just about everything under the body. I have been saving the old fasteners in as organized way as I can, but would love to use new ones upon re-assembly where possible.

My question is: has anyone ever compiled a comprehensive list of fasteners which would make it easy for someone to order in one batch? I know many others have done this kind of restoration work, and wondering if you simply ordered as needed or made a list?

thanks!
          All I can say is - good luck! I would start with realoem. But in the end what you need will be specific to your car and you may come to a point where you'll need to let the car sit for a week while the right bolt comes in the mail.

That being said, I wouldn't feel terrible about reusing regular bolts as long as they're not corroded or damaged. But plastic stuff I would def replace

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Agreed . My rule of thumb is replace if subjected to heat cycling, in threaded aluminum, and corroded or damaged .which obviously includes those pesky mofos that require torching or cutting to persuade them off!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Comment

so how do I upload an .xls file? I've got a start, but don't know how to share

Comment

OK, so I can't upload the .xls file, but I made a .pdf of what I've done so far...

I've copied and pasted the parts list from RealOEM.com, along with snapshots of the graphics for the selected areas I'll be working in.

in the spreadsheet, each column is sortable and can be filtered. I added a column for "component" category so I could filter out the hardware items. Each "category" field is hyperlinked to the associated graphic.

next step is to consolidate the list with subtotals by part number.

what do you guys think?

:)
                Attached Files

Comment

Most of the fasteners are just generic metric stuff ... I like to order from belmetric.com for pretty yellow zinc fasteners, or for fasteners in less visible locations I go to my local hardware store. Only for really critical things, like head bolts, suspension fasteners, or things in weird sizes (torx, nonstandard thread pitch), do I order directly from BMW.

For the most part nuts/bolts with a 6mm head are M3, 7mm = M4, 8mm = M5, 10mm = M6, 13mm = M8, 17mm = M10, 19mm = M12.

1986 327i
                  transaction feedback
                  DIY thing
                  meh

Comment

Working...
                  X