Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 Drive Shaft Replacement Cost

Hello, first time poster here.

Went to my Local BMW mechanic for my 1985 325e and he quoted me $1400 total for a new driveshaft that is completely brand new according to him with the U joint that can be replaced in the future. Sounds a bit much to me. What do you guys think? Sorry if this has been asked before but I couldn't find it anywhere. Thank you for all your responses.

crack smokin' money.
    sigpic
    Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
    92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
    88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
    88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
    87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
    12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

I just bought a reconditioned driveshaft from a local driveline service outlet in West Sacramento, it's balanced and has new u-joints and a new CSB. They also got rid of the balancer ring, but the u-joints are still peened in and aren't greasible. $388.80 out the door with my old one traded in as a core.
      Last edited by PKile; 09-17-2016, 04:42 AM.

Comment

Just did mine, ordered from bmpdesign (which are the middleman for the Arizona outfit that rebuilds them) u-joints can be replaced in the future should they fail. ~$400 plus $100 core. While I was replacing my drive shaft, I installed a short shifter!
        You'll need to drop your exhaust if you plan to do this yourself. You'll need new exhaust manifold flange gaskets, possibly new flange nuts and maybe new donut gaskets on the other end.

Comment

$500 sounds more reasonable- Driveline Service of Portland used to do them for about that.

t
          now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Damn, for 1400 you can get a 1 piece driveshaft good to almost 1000 hp.

Getting refurbished is the way to go. I would avoid BavAuto recycling though. I had terrible experiences with them.
            My previous build (currently E30-less)
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

What's wrong with your DS?

Comment

I recently rebuilt one from a 91 318is for less than $100 and it's working great 3000 miles later. New u-joints and CSB. It took a bit of patience and careful dissection and a simple home made fixture for measuring.

Comment

Working...
                X