Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

5spd Swap -- Shift Rod clicking into gears and Not Centered?? (SEE PICS!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5spd Swap -- Shift Rod clicking into gears and Not Centered?? (SEE PICS!)

Hey guys

Hoping for some help resolving my issues from the grandmasters here. Started a auto->5spd swap on my '91 325i. So far everything has been pretty good, haven't run into any major issues as far as I can tell.

Yesterday, however, I got the flywheel, clutch kit, and gearbox bolted up with the shift rod/linkage already installed. I do not have the manual pedals in yet.

The problem: The shift lever does not look centered through the hole in the car frame... So that my 1st (and 3rd/5th) gear makes the shift lever so far up forward. Its so far, in fact, that when i tried to put the rubber boot through the hole in the frame and then shift to first it would pinch and not allow the gear to be kept engaged (i.e.: the shifter would be pushed back down to neutral). It seems like my shift arm (not rod) could be longer so as to have the shift lever...

ALSO --> I noticed that my 2nd gear is not smooth to get into... it takes two "bumps" / slides to get into 2nd (from neutral), and then i can even pull harder back and it will audibly CLICK (into 2nd). Any ideas??? I did jut put new gear oil in it, and it has been sitting for a while so im hoping that its because the oil is all settled at the bottom and hasnt been circulated / spread out at all yet.

Please help me out guys! I really appreciate any words of wisdom
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Waffle cone; 09-21-2016, 02:37 PM.

aaaaanybody got ideas/tips???

Comment

I'm not 100% on this but I think your rear shift mount is upside down ?
      Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
      Alice the Time Capsule
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
      87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
        I'm not 100% on this but I think your rear shift mount is upside down ?
        I don't think so since there are holes that clip into 2 little claws on the car frame.. But even so, I don't see how it would affect the centering of the shift lever :S.. Or would it?? Thx for the input

Comment

That is very odd. So just to be clear, you are mating a M20 to a G260?

COTM

Comment

Originally posted by N2MYE30 View Post
            That is very odd. So just to be clear, you are mating a M20 to a G260?

Yeah, my bad I didn't clarify that.

M20 to g260 is what I'm doing. Any ideas??

Comment

Is the motor somehow shifted forward? Old mounts?

Where did you get that shift carrier from?

For reference, I used PN "25-11-1-221-201" to convert my '85 Getrag 260 to the "new style" carrier.

Went in perfectly centered into my Auto '87 325is

Comment

selector rod upside down?
                Jah bless! :pimp:

Comment

Thx guys for all ideas.

I don't think it's the selector rod, because that isn't the longest part in the linkage. The shifter arm could be too short... I wasn't aware there were different parts, but I can and will look into that...

Otherwise I guess (and hope) it's the motor shifter forward, because I was pushing the gearbox in pretty hard (it was heavy), even using my feet at one point. Still not so sure how it could have unbolted from the metal mount itself, but I'll check the engine mounts regardless. I have a set of he hard plastic garagisti ones that I could put it.

anyone have any thoughts on the hard shifting?? Is it just a matter of trans fluid not being circulated?

Comment

Originally posted by Waffle cone
                    Bump for any other ideas/help troubleshooting??

Were the '89 and '91 shift arms different???

Comment

Checked motor mounts, they are in good condition and centered...

Guess it has to be the selector rod or the shift carrier???
                      Sucks if i have to drop the trans again for this sh*t :(

Any ideas?

Comment

Working...
                      X