M50 or Turbo M42?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M50 or Turbo M42?

Well I can't make up my mind on which I should do. The turbo setup would be cheap cause I can do all the work and fabing parts. I would get a used turbo and stuff to cut costs. I know the m50 is a popular swap but w/ gas prices rising and premium gas even more I don't know what route to take. I auto-x my car and a turbo wouldn't put me in as crazy of a class as a m50 would.
    M50
    45.00%
    Turbo M42
    55.00%
    ///Alpinweiß II 24v 91' 318is, Alpinweiß III 99' 323i, 04' Yamaha R6 SE for sale, 00' VW GTi, 83' El Camino BURNED, 01' P71sold, 92' Miatasold

m50-

with a turbo m42- your max power will be around the base power of the m50. If you want to boost the m50 later, its easy, and will give you shit-tons of power.

-Addis

Doing something M50 related? -> http://www.addissimo.com
    On Myspace? ->http://groups.myspace.com/r3vlimited
    BF2142 SN = BillyGoose

Comment

addissimo is right, but I want to see a turbo m42. I want to do that some time down the line. and it will preserve the nice balance of the 318is. I never want to add that much weight so far forward.
      318is -gone-

Comment

I vote s50.
        'cus why go through all of the work to swap in a m50, when you can swap in an s50 just as easily. just my $0.02

Comment

Originally posted by redcarbon
          addissimo is right, but I want to see a turbo m42. I want to do that some time down the line. and it will preserve the nice balance of the 318is. I never want to add that much weight so far forward.
          thats another reason i might do the turbo M42. also it would be different, tons of people do the x50 swap.

Originally posted by Addissimo
          m50-

with a turbo m42- your max power will be around the base power of the m50. If you want to boost the m50 later, its easy, and will give you shit-tons of power.

-Addis
          I don't need tons of power, at the last auto-x i held 1st before lunch and was beating a new wrx that has awd and 90+hp on me. I just need a little more power to hit the straights and i do love the sound of a turbo.

On different note though, my engine has 220,000miles on it so i don't know how well it would handle boost.
          ///Alpinweiß II 24v 91' 318is, Alpinweiß III 99' 323i, 04' Yamaha R6 SE for sale, 00' VW GTi, 83' El Camino BURNED, 01' P71sold, 92' Miatasold

Comment

I vote turbo M42 because everyone always talks about it but no one ever goes through with it. I would personally never do it, but I'd like to see someone else pull it off.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarvis
              I vote turbo M42 because everyone always talks about it but no one ever goes through with it. I would personally never do it, but I'd like to see someone else pull it off.
              agreed

and m/s50s are so common that they dont strike anyone as unique

Originally posted by vlad
              Do you know anybody else who built that many bad ass E30s?

Comment

Originally posted by erik325i
                I vote s50.
                'cus why go through all of the work to swap in a m50, when you can swap in an s50 just as easily. just my $0.02
                Because you do need to understand that an S50 is a 250hp motor, in a 2600 pound car, and not everybody wants something that fucking fast! Try to push your E30 w/3.0 around a racetrack, there is such a thing as too much power.
                If I could do it over again, it would have been a smaller discplacement motor.

Comment

Nonsence :finger:

Actually, I wouldn't know :(

About gas prices, my m50 did waaayyy better on gas then the m20. Not sure about the m42, but with a turbo...
                  91 m3

Comment

I think i'm leaning to the turbo m42. Does anyone think thats a bad idea w/ a engine w/ 220,000 miles on the clock? I know i can't run high boost untill i rebuild but how long do you think it would last?

Comment

How about lightweight flywheels? I know you can get aluminum ones but they are over $500. You can use the stock 325 one but you have to moddify it. Anyone know what other options there are for a m42 flywheel?

For those who don't know the stock 318is flywheel is close to 30lbs!!

I might try to fit the sequential turbos off a toyota supra on my m42 (the ones from a mk4). I found some really cheap.
                      Last edited by asubimmer; 10-28-2005, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by asubimmer
                        How about lightweight flywheels? I know you can get aluminum ones but they are over $500. You can use the stock 325 one but you have to moddify it. Anyone know what other options there are for a m42 flywheel?
                        those are really the only options, unless you want to try grinding down your stock one or something.

there's a reason you don't see turbo M42s...it would require a LOT of work. Korman at least used to sell kits for later M42s and M44s, but the E30 M42 has no knock sensors, and they all have high compression ratios. If you want to go for it though, go for it, it would be interesting.
                        sigpic

Comment

shit me sideways. if i hear one more person say that lack of knock sensors is the reason behind not boosting an m42 i will cry. and high comp isnt that big of a deal, so long as you keep the boost sensible.

the other flywheel option is the m40 fly. however, you need to use the smaller clutch with it ... im not sure this would be the optimum setup in a turbo application. try and lose some weight off the oem fly.

there are two things i see as vital in regards to turboing the m42 1) keeping boost to a safe level, and 2) running some nice management.
                          sigpicM42 Brigade ... Throwing craze in the 318

Comment

I dont think you can shave down the m42 dualmass flywheel, you need to either get a lightweight one from some tuner or install a m20 one...maybe you can even lighten the m20 flywheel.

Comment

toss an E36 low mileage M42 in that bitch and slap a DASC on. Now that would be crazy. Basically S50 power...
                              - 2000 Audi S4 Stg 2 (sold)
                              - house (bought)
                              - 1997 Civic Hatch (shaky but driveable)
                              - 2010 Sportster 1200 Forty Eight Ed. (vroom)
                              - 1991 318is S50B30 (TBA)

Comment

Working...
                              X