Self containing oil in a Procharger?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Self containing oil in a Procharger?

I've in the past had some headaches with oil lines on forced induction set-ups, i'd like to save the hastle and go with self contained oil, is there an issue doing that on one meant to have oil circulated? I planned just plugging the feed and return and using the feed to fill it and changing the oil every 6,000 or so miles (with supercharger specific oil).

scary. i wouldnt do it

Comment

Anyone that knows what they're talking about? :P

Comment

the oil is probably used as some sort of cooling and it would not be good if you did that, maybe there would be pressure build up because of crappy seals, and it would leak all of your oil out...just run a feed and return line and dont skimp out buddy

Comment

I know all about feeds and returns, trust me, that's why i don't want to mess with them if i don't have to. I know some models come with self contained oil and other circulate, i'm hoping it's something like turbos where water cooling is optional, but optimal.

I doubt it makes much heat, it's belt driven.

Not trying to skimp of course, just doing some research before i dive in and i can't find much on the subject.

Comment

well, their has to be some heat/friction generated that could be cooled by oil, maybe if you used some real awesome synthetic oil, and changed it every 500 miles or something you could get away with it, but like i said i wouldnt do it, too scary to take the risk

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Deagle View Post
              well, their has to be some heat/friction generated that could be cooled by oil, maybe if you used some real awesome synthetic oil, and changed it every 500 miles or something you could get away with it, but like i said i wouldnt do it, too scary to take the risk
              Like stated in the origional post, there's specially designed supercharger oil that needs changed every 6,000 miles.

I'll search around some more and see what i can find.

The guy that was going to trade me backed out anyway and it's the only kind i've seen that wasn't self contained.

Comment

you need oil to cool charger, there's no oil out there, not even synthetic that will take charger pressure and temperatures for 6000 miles. Maybe you never seen what oil does after 100 miles (turns black) and that's with running oil that is cooled to 200F. Standing oil would become gunk. There's probably only one pressure fluid that can take heat, and that's brake fluid, i doubt you want to use that for lubrication.

Comment

Mocal makes a nice little pump that should work great for your application. It is generally used for rear differential coolers or acavenging oil from turbos that are mounted too low to use a gravity return. A small reservoir, the pump, and associated plumbing is all that would be required.

Also, I don't know if that supercharger needs pressurized oil for journal bearings. Toyota sells good supercharger oil for use in SC MR2s. It's basically turbine engine oil.

Comment

Way to resurrect a nearly two year old thread.

Especially when the thread starter is banned.
                    Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
                    Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
                    One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Both players in the thread are banned...
                      Hemingway said it best. “There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.”

Help a brother out, buy your detailing products here...

Comment

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post
                        Way to resurrect a nearly two year old thread.

Especially when the thread starter is banned.
                        OMGAS, the ultimate sin has been committed......providing valid information to a question!! Ever think that the information might be useful to someone else in the future......nah, that makes too much sense. :-?

Comment

Working...
                        X