m30 starter problems help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

m30 starter problems help!

I can't get the f'ing starter out of my '90 735il. I took the coolant expansion tank out, had to disconnect a vacuum line, and I was able to get the 2 bolts out.

but the damn thing still won't come out. I've had at it with a pry bar, I've bashed the shit out of it with a hammer, its not budging. I squeezed a little chisel in by the one bolt, but the rest is still not budging.

is there something I'm missing? I mean, it is separated a bit by the one bolt where the chisel is. It only has those 2 bolts. I looked at the new one I have and it only has the 2 bolt holes.

any ideas?

btw that isn't the exact starter, but it looks a lot like it. just trying to give a reference. it only has that one bolt hole, and one thats on the other side that you can't see from that view
    Originally posted by blunt
    can you get me a deal on cases of their (fiji) bottled water? i wash my 02 in that shit

still bolted to the metal dust guard between the engine and trans?

EDIT* bump the starter once, sounds like the teeth are stuck
    sigpic

Comment

I sort of remember there being a dowel pin for the starter on that car. That being the case you have to get it off by working alternate sides a bit at a time.
      The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
      Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Try a little bit of penetrating lube spray. Liquid Wrench is readily available, Mopar is the SHIT! Be really careful if you hammer the thing, you really really don't want a piece of that pot metal breaking off into your bell housing...

Comment

Penetrating lube like dark89e30 says

it's almost press fitted into the engine housing. you need to keep wiggling it back and forth until it becomes loose. There is no set pin or dowel. It is kinda press fitted in and just takes some elbow grease to get out, but it will.

Did you try to see if you can access it from the bottom of the car?
          Recent Rebranding!!
          Visit Garageaholic for all of your E30 Swap Needs!
          E30 SM62/S62
          E30 M60 V8
          E30 M30 Big 6!

Check out this E36 N54 Swap Build
          Instagram.com/garageaholic
          Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

i can see it from the bottom, but don't really have enough room to get at it with any force.

the starter is completely dead now, so I can't really bump it
            Originally posted by blunt
            can you get me a deal on cases of their (fiji) bottled water? i wash my 02 in that shit

Comment

Forget about bumping it anyway, that is the the #1 way to F something up.

Comment

Working...
              X