Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Stalling in Reverse!

Hi Guys,

I own a '88 Automatic BMW 320i. I've had it for 6 months now.

As of now, it has developed this weird problem .... as soon as the RPM goes below 400 rpm, the engine stalls! It's really a pain to reverse the car now ... cause I have to hold the brake slightly and then accelerate so that the car doesn't die on me.

The engine doesn't just stall in reverse, when I stop at a signal or slow down at a U-turn, if the car is totally stopped it dies. I NEED to hold down the brake with one leg and slightly race with the other.

Also, another problem I had since the time I got it ... is that the acceleration was really really slow (Gas Pedal is quite stiff) ... I took it to the mechanic to get it fixed, but he didn't do much. He said, it might help to clean the fuel injector ... got that done but to no avail.

I've noticed when the car is in "P", the engine idles at around 1000 rpm and doesn't let it go down, when I switch on the A/C it shoots to 1.5k, is this normal?

... I don't know much when it comes to cars ... but since I've got the car, I've :
    • Got a new throttle (problem with it initially ... )
    • Cleant the fuel injection (less than a month back)

..... any solutions / ideas to the stalling ?
    Last edited by MrDNR; 08-08-2007, 01:57 PM.

alright, adjust your idle set screw to raise your idling rpms.

and for the slowness, get three cans of seafoam. one for the intake, one for the oil, and one for the gas. after all that is run through, come back to us.

Comment

Hi mate,

Thanks for the reply. I must admit though, I have no idea where the "idle set screw" is located.

How do I put in seafoam in the intake? Also, by gas ... you mean I how to mix it with the petrol?

... Argh, I apologize if any of the above questions sound lame, but better to be sure, than sorry, right? I've attached a pic of my engine. Is it possible to point out the things from it?
      Attached Files

Comment

Sounds like you might have a sticky or bad ICV. Since the throttle body has been replaced there's a good chance that the TPS is mis-adjusted, adding to the problem. The procedure for adjusting the TPS is in the Bentley manual. Do that and try cleaning the ICV. And while doing those, check the intake hoses for leaks and replace ans indicated.
        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Working...
        X