Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installing transmission for 3 hours, still stuck. 0.75" Gap, pilot bearing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would be willing to bet that you punctured a coolant hose moving the engine around. Probably one for the heater core.

1988 Bronzitbeige Metallic 325e 2-door S50 turbo (OO=( )=OO)
    2008 VW Rabbit
    1991 Audi 200 20vtq Wagon

Comment

Originally posted by Teaguer View Post
      Way too much trouble and effort for a lowly Eta. Just donate it to pick-n-pull already.
      Haha.. yeah all m20's are lowly in my opinion. I bought this vehicle because it drives like a go-kart, is light, and looks awesome.. not for its powerplant

Originally posted by BimmerTim View Post
      I would be willing to bet that you punctured a coolant hose moving the engine around. Probably one for the heater core.
      That's what I thought but I can't feel anything wet on the hoses entering the firewall. Could it be that the heater core itself got smashed from the engine pushing against the firewall? If that was the case, I thought the leak would be evident in the cabin.. puzzling where it's coming from and how it's making its way to the bottom of the transmission
      sigpic

Comment

That, or if this thing didn't run before you started in on it, maybe it's a welch plug that needs replacing.

Comment

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber View Post
          That, or if this thing didn't run before you started in on it, maybe it's a welch plug that needs replacing.
          It ran fine, but about a week before the throwout bearing failed I noticed I was starting to burn some coolant, so I assumed the head gasket was starting to fail. Swapping a milled head in a couple months but waiting to save up some more funds.

This secondary leak just started last night after I got the engine mounts located. Guess I'll feel around one more time and just crank her up and see where it starts spraying from...
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber View Post
            Was reading another thread and sounds like it may be the heater hose connector circled in red.

Is a welch plug what is circled in green? Did a search and there weren't any other posts about welch plugs.. maybe different terminology?
            sigpic

Comment

Freeze plugs.

Comment

Holy shit.. it works. It shifts, it drives. Clutch pedal is still a little sloppy.. need to figure out the bleeding, and coolant is a steady stream from the bottom of the tranny.. but hey, at least it drives
                sigpic

Comment

In case anyone else has a similar coolant leak mine ended up being from where the throttle body hose enters the cylinder head.. right above that core plug circled in red
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X