Let's talk boosted M42's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vivek View Post
    I'm no pro, but my personal opinion is that supercharging is much more limited than turbocharging, and it'll heat up the air with no intercooler to cool it down. It'll also rob a percent of your power, and I believe that this percentage increases with higher boost PSI's since you'll be putting a bigger pulley on for more boost. That and a DASC is hard as hell to find.
    you can intercool a roots, it just works differently. jackson racing used to make setups like that for honda/miata.

turbos/supers both rob power, just in different ways. no free lunch, or we'd have a perpetual motion device.
    past:
    1989 325is (learner shitbox)
    1986 325e (turbo dorito)
    1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
    1985 323i baur
    current:
    1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

turbo robs power? wut..

Comment

A turbo still consumes power to make power. The turbos just are much more efficient than a belt driven supercharger.
        -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

Are you guys referring to lag as power loss? What am I missing here? Turbo runs off exhaust. Making power from the engines waste sounds free to me. Or am I over thinking it?

Comment

Originally posted by MF DOOM View Post
            Or am I over thinking it?
            maybe. placing a turbine in your exhaust path impacts the VE of the engine. that's about it.
            past:
            1989 325is (learner shitbox)
            1986 325e (turbo dorito)
            1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
            1985 323i baur
            current:
            1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

Originally posted by CrusherCurtis View Post
              Why does no one DASC the m42?
              My understanding is they have not built kits in what 6+ years?
              https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Originally posted by dk View Post
                maybe. placing a turbine in your exhaust path impacts the VE of the engine. that's about it.
                This is it. The turbine uses exhaust gasses that would be created anyway, but the backpressure changes the VE of the engine.
                -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

E85 has the benefit of allowing a more aggressive timing map due to the cooler temps and higher octane. I gained 30+ hp with my last track car on E85 vs 91 with extensive tuning (this wasn't on an m42)

The biggest issue with e85 is the need for much larger injectors. e85 requires roughly 30% more fuel than 91. You don't have to upgrade the entire fuel system as stated previously. The lines you currently have will do just fine. And in a turbo application a walbro 255 is already necessary and can still support e85. It's not much more expensive to go e85 over 91.

Comment

Originally posted by M-technik-3 View Post
                    My understanding is they have not built kits in what 6+ years?
                    Yes. Not sure how long ago but they no longer buid them.

Originally posted by dk View Post
                    ahh.. i knew the answer was going to make me feel stupid ha

Comment

Originally posted by future rs View Post
                      E85 has the benefit of allowing a more aggressive timing map due to the cooler temps and higher octane. I gained 30+ hp with my last track car on E85 vs 91 with extensive tuning (this wasn't on an m42)

The biggest issue with e85 is the need for much larger injectors. e85 requires roughly 30% more fuel than 91. You don't have to upgrade the entire fuel system as stated previously. The lines you currently have will do just fine. And in a turbo application a walbro 255 is already necessary and can still support e85. It's not much more expensive to go e85 over 91.
                      Not that it matters too much, but so do you get 30% worse mileage?
                      The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
                      Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
                      2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
                      2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Originally posted by Vivek View Post
                        Not that it matters too much, but so do you get 30% worse mileage?
                        Yes.
                        -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

This is worth sharing.
                          http://www.m42club.com/forum/index.php?topic=14554.30

Comment

Working...
                          X