Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getrag 260 interchange and information... good info!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getrag 260 interchange and information... good info!!!

Found this article tonight, and thought some of you might find it useful. It's probably been posted before, but I've asked questions that have gone unanswered, that this article answers. So here it is:

(updated and functioning URL)

E30 Getrag 260 interchange and information

Submitted by Dale Beuning on Fri, 2006-12-15 08:29. Firstly, all 'i' motors use a crank position sensor on the front of the crank, all 'eta' motors (super-eta may be an exception) use the 2 reference sensors mounted in the trans bellhousing.
    Also, don't try pulling the transmission apart. Most of the shops in this area won't even try to dig into one because you can pick one up at a salvage yard anytime for $300 or $400.
    There are a couple of issues using an '86 325e manual transmission in an '89 325i car.
    Identify which trans you have early 'eta', late 'eta', or 'i':
    a) early 'eta' trans (1983, 1984, 1985 manufacture dates?)
    i) 260.0.1270.90 is on the side of the 'eta' trans
    ii) shifter mounting about the output flange is only 2xM10 holes for the 84,85,86 style plate mount shifter
    iii) deep bellhousing : Slave cylinder mounting flange = 6 7/8
    iv) 2 drilled holes for crank position sensors
    v) smaller output flange
    b) late 'eta' trans (1986, 1987, 1988 manufacture dates?)
    i) 260.0.1270.90 is on the side of the 'eta' trans
    ii) shifter mounting about the output flange has 2xM10 holes for the 84,85,86 style plate mount shifter, AND top boss for the aluminum bracket of the 87-91 style shifting mechanism.
    iii) shallow bellhousing : Slave cylinder mounting flange = 6 1/2
    iv) cast boss for 2 drilled holes for crank position sensors, may or may not be drilled
    v) larger output flange
    c) 'i' trans
    i) 260.0.1346.90 is on the side of the 'i' trans
    ii) top boss for the aluminum bracket of the 87-91 style shifting mechanism.
    iii) shallow bellhousing : Slave cylinder mounting flange = 6 1/2
    iv) no cast boss in bellhousing for reference sensors
    v) smaller output flange
    If you find your 'eta' 260 trans has the deeper bellhousing, you can correct for it by using a thicker throw-out bearing.
    Sachs P/N 21511204525 is a 30mm bearing and will make up the difference.
    If you use the driveshaft/guibo that came with the transmission you'll be fine,
    the differential end of the driveshaft is the same on all the 6cyl E30s.
    There is an early style Guibo(110mm)[26-11-1-225-624] and a late style Guibo(96mm)[26-11-7-511-454], cutover date is 5/86 for end of 110mm, 6/86 is start of 96mm.
    6cyl manual driveshaft length 1483mm.
    All 3 versions have the same gear ratios:
    1 3.83
    2 2.2
    3 1.4
    4 1
    5 0.81
    Note: If you'd like to use an older version of the 260 with the early style
    mounting boss instead of the newer style ears, the E30 M3 came with an adapter
    to mount the new style shift carrier to the older style mounting boss.
    View it at RealOEM.com

Some pictures of a 'late eta' getrag 260: some images
    See the date stamp in the bellhousing in this pic, and also the slave cylinder mounting point to measure bellhousing depth:

This clearly shows both early and late shift lever mounting styles, this has the later style shifter support installed:

Top view of shifter support mount

This shows the part number and sensor mounting points on the bellhousing:

UnofficialBMW.com Webmaster
    dale@unofficialbmw.com
    Last edited by JGood; 05-25-2011, 03:26 PM.
    85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
    e30 restoration and V8 swap
    24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

since there are two different slave cylinder mouting flanges, that means there are two different types of slave cylinders right?

The reason i ask is because i am putting a late transmission in an early car. I know i have to switch over my output flange and guibo. But what do i do about the slave cylinder difference?

Pelican parts only lists one slave cylinder for all the years.
    Instagram
    sigpic
    Current: 99 M3
    Past: 84 325e, 84 528e

Comment

Originally posted by BobombETA View Post
      since there are two different slave cylinder mouting flanges, that means there are two different types of slave cylinders right?

The reason i ask is because i am putting a late transmission in an early car. I know i have to switch over my output flange and guibo. But what do i do about the slave cylinder difference?

Pelican parts only lists one slave cylinder for all the years.
      According to the article, it's the measurement from the inside of the slave flange to the outside plane of the bellhousing. So, no, the slave cylinder is the same. As is the shift fork, pivot pin, and retaining spring. The throw-out bearing is what changes.

Comment

Same info as above, just a little easier to read:

Firstly, all 'i' motors use a crank position sensor on the front of the crank, all 'eta' motors (super-eta may be an exception) use the 2 reference sensors mounted in the trans bellhousing.

There are a couple of issues using an '86 325e manual transmission in an '89 325i car.

Identify which trans you have early 'eta', late 'eta', or 'i':

1. early 'eta' trans (1983, 1984, 1985 manufacture dates?)
        1. 260.0.1270.90 is on the side of the 'eta' trans
        2. shifter mounting about the output flange is only 2xM10 holes for the 84,85,86 style plate mount shifter
        3. deep bellhousing : Slave cylinder mounting flange = 6 7/8
        4. 2 drilled holes for crank position sensors
        5. smaller output flange

b) late 'eta' trans (1986, 1987, 1988 manufacture dates?)
        1. 260.0.1270.90 is on the side of the 'eta' trans
        2. shifter mounting about the output flange has 2xM10 holes for the 84,85,86 style plate mount shifter, AND top boss for the aluminum bracket of the 87-91 style shifting mechanism.
        3. shallow bellhousing : Slave cylinder mounting flange = 6 1/2
        4. cast boss for 2 drilled holes for crank position sensors, may or may not be drilled
        5. larger output flange

c) 'i' trans
        1. 260.0.1346.90 is on the side of the 'i' trans
        2. top boss for the aluminum bracket of the 87-91 style shifting mechanism.
        3. shallow bellhousing : Slave cylinder mounting flange = 6 1/2
        4. no cast boss in bellhousing for reference sensors
        5. smaller output flange

If you find your 'eta' 260 trans has the deeper bellhousing, you can correct for it by using a thicker throw-out bearing. Sachs P/N 21511204525 is a 30mm bearing and will make up the difference.

If you use the driveshaft/guibo that came with the transmission you'll be fine, the differential end of the driveshaft is the same on all the 6cyl E30s.

Comment

Ah, so they do share the same ratios, good info and good write up. Any idea about different length selector rods, or are they all the same length?
          Supatek -noun - your basic know it all

Comment

Also, who makes those white tranny mounts? Is it a solid single thru bolt, or two studs?

Comment

I know for a fact that there are at least 3 different selector rods. A short one, a long one, and a long one with a longer pin at one end. Probably some others, too. I do not know which is which as far as year/model. I've swapped 3-4 transmission between my e30's and have gotten screwed the the selector rod every single time. I will spend some time on realoem.com later today and compile a part number list.

Comment

I'm not sure who makes them, but it appears to be a single bolt through it. That's the way my AKG mounts are.

Comment

Yeah, I just glanced at the pic and saw that is indeed a solid bolt tranny mount.

Comment

Here is another good page on this subject - http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?t=61367

E28 Transmissions, an overview

Manual

G260/5
                    Used on 5/6/733s from '83-'84. Non removable bell housing, waffle pattern for case casting. Considered weak and cannot accommodate a M5 clutch. Sheet metal shifter support. Overdrive 5th.

G260/5
                    Used on '83-'88 528es, and E30 6 cylinder cars. Same model number as above, but different bell housing bolt pattern and shape, so it’s not interchangeable. Some or most or all of the internal parts may be, but with the cost of used transmissions, it’s irrelevant. Used sheet metal support thru about 86, then used the cast support. Waffle case pattern. Overdrive 5th.

G260/6
                    Used on '86-'88 535’s and E34 535s, but they may not have the flywheel sensor holes drilled out. Identify it by the fins on the bottom of the transmission and non-removable case. Overdrive 5th.

G265/6
                    Used on '82 528e and '85 535i. Also on '85 6/735, '80-'81 E12, '81-'82 6/733s and E30 M3s. Considered the strongest transmission available for E28’s. Is easily identified by a removable bell housing which allows use on M10, M20 and M30 engines, as long as the correct bell housing is used or reused. All except M3s have a sheet metal shifter support. It’s use in '85 M30 powered cars was reportedly dictated by the short life of the 260/5 in those cars. Overdrive 5th.

G280
                    Used on M5/M6s. Close ratio, but overdrive 5th gear.

G265/5
                    Never available on US spec cars, it's a close ratio 5 speed similar to the 265/6 overdrive transmission. 5th gear is 1:1. Often incorrectly called a 262 close ratio or dogleg, but a 262 is a 4 speed transmission. All 265’s I’ve seen have the front case casting with a 262xxx casting number, but they are 265s if they are 5 speeds. Removable bell housing and it does have an unusual shift pattern with 1st being off by itself and 4th/5th across from each other instead of 5th being up by itself.

Other notes: Most or all of the linkage parts seem to be model specific, the sheet metal shifter supports while they look the same, aren’t, even if from the same transmission and for the same chassis, i.e. one from a G265 from a 528e won’t work on a G265 in a 535i. I assume this is also the case for the later cast aluminum shifter supports, but I haven’t verified it myself.
                    Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Sorry to bump an old thread..

So, any of the 3 260 trans will bolt up to a late model E30 just a matter of mix and matching the output flange, compensating throw out bearing.. ect? Are all driveshafts the same length?

Comment

I wrote the data on transmissions above, we've changed the software on the pro3-racing.com website, so the link above doesn't work any longer.

I've posted the data and expanded it on this post at my site, Unofficialbmw.com:

92 325ic (owned 2008-2016)

Comment

Dale! You are on R3V!

Closing SOON!
                          "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by daleb View Post
                            I wrote the data on transmissions above, we've changed the software on the pro3-racing.com website, so the link above doesn't work any longer.

I've posted the data and expanded it on this post at my site, Unofficialbmw.com:

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/phpBB/v...ic.php?t=33173
                            Thanks for the write-up, it is greatly appreciated! I'll update my post with the functioning link.

Comment

#Luke, I'm on here once in a great while, was just reading Lance's rebuild thread on his Pro3 car

#JGood, thanks for updating the link and helping to get the information out there

#Mike, Since Mike Helton's son-in-law, Andy of AKG built the car back in the 90s, I'm assuming they are a very old version of AKGs trans mount.
                              92 325ic (owned 2008-2016)

Comment

Working...
                              X